Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    chillin

It feels like Madara should be narrating this part of the flashback

Did anyone else find that the method Kishi used for the young Hashirama and Madara flashback was kind of strange? Most will think its not a big deal, but the way Kishi went about this flashback seems opposite of what it should be.

Specifically, the flashback seems to be oriented in Madara's perspective, not Hashirama's. By that I mean when a flashback begins, it typically starts focusing on the story teller. In this case, the flashback focuses on Madara, so logically the narrator should be Madara. Not only that, but the flashback ends with a panel of Hashirama saying some very cryptic things with narration of himself. Everyone knows that standard writing would end the flashback focused on the OTHER party in question or from the view of the narrator, but not the narrator himself. Since Hashirama ends the current flashback by saying, "That is the first time I met Madara Uchiha", then it logically should have ended with a panel of Madara saying something cryptic or revealing, to show a sense of Hashirama reacting to what he said, but not the other way around. Basically what I am saying is that this flashback in particular would seem to benefit Madara telling the story rather than Hashirama. I hope you guys understand my position here, but the reason I say this is because when we are talking about most writers, Kishi included, it seems to me that this flashback breaks the rules of typical story telling. The roles in the flashback simply seemed reversed:

I know some people will bash me and say this doesn't matter and its just Kishi's way of writing, but I want to point out that the core of this conversation and the method of writing used for the flashback seem opposite of the norm, Kishi included. Thoughts, comments, observations?

Status
    Oct 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    <3

Re: It feels like Madara should be narrating this part of the flashback

i dont think anybody was as observant of this conversation as you were, and most will probably have stupid unintellectual things to say, my assessment of this is that you my friend have a very valid point. The structure of this flashback is very out of norm and its cool u pointed it out, i will have my eye out for more "out of norm" writing throughout naruto ^.^

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chillen before work

I see what you mean. But who knows, maybe he is trying to do something with this?

I thought Madara would be the one to start the rivalry, not Hashirama.
    It does seem a bit weird hearing that come from Hashi.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Potatos

Yeah, I understand your point.
    It was important for Hashirama to be the narrator because he´s currently explaining those events to Sasuke and co but it could have been treated differently (the approach to the flashback), I agree.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apple bottom jeans. Boots with
    the fur.

Kishi might have went about it in an odd manner but I believe Madara will eventually have his own flashbacks. Maybe Kishi did it this way since Hashi is the one who matters at the moment.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Takin it easy

I understand your point, but hashi was sitting there, and madara was talking out loud. So it follows hashiramas story telling just fine.(if madara was doing that for more pages, then it would make sense. But it was just a small bit, of focusing on madara. It wouldnt make sense, for kishi to suddenly have madara narrate the story, as this is hashi telling sasuke, and madara is a whole country away.

Basically i think you are overanalyzing it. If it were a longer scene with just madara, then it would hold a bit more weight.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    #Gobi4Mod

Dude... Your over thinking the story just enjoy it...

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    chillin

Quote Originally Posted by Sharinnigan View Post
    i dont think anybody was as observant of this conversation as you were, and most will probably have stupid unintellectual things to say, my assessment of this is that you my friend have a very valid point. The structure of this flashback is very out of norm and its cool u pointed it out, i will have my eye out for more "out of norm" writing throughout naruto ^.^
    Heh thx, I assumed I would get some negative comments, but I honestly felt it was a little strange.

Quote Originally Posted by R4mbl3 View Post
    I see what you mean. But who knows, maybe he is trying to do something with this?

I thought Madara would be the one to start the rivalry, not Hashirama.
    It does seem a bit weird hearing that come from Hashi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzm117 View Post
    Yeah, I understand your point.
    It was important for Hashirama to be the narrator because he´s currently explaining those events to Sasuke and co but it could have been treated differently (the approach to the flashback), I agree.
    Thx guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cptenn94 View Post
    I understand your point, but hashi was sitting there, and madara was talking out loud. So it follows hashiramas story telling just fine.(if madara was doing that for more pages, then it would make sense. But it was just a small bit, of focusing on madara. It wouldnt make sense, for kishi to suddenly have madara narrate the story, as this is hashi telling sasuke, and madara is a whole country away.

Basically i think you are overanalyzing it. If it were a longer scene with just madara, then it would hold a bit more weight.
    The point is that it seemed kind of strange the way it was set up. Obviously I did not mean that Madara should have suddenly began narrating over Hashi, I just meant that the way the flashback was setup would have benefited Madara narrating it more than Hashirama.

Quote Originally Posted by Saikyokage View Post
    Dude... Your over thinking the story just enjoy it...
    I do enjoy it :D. This was simply something that seemed a little out of place to me and just gave it a little more thought . That's half the enjoyment of Reading Naruto :D.

Fighting for Peace xCrystalChidorix's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I agree with you completely. It definitely feels like Madara should be narrating this, although at this point, it's really too late for him to do that.
    (He's in the middle of battle afterall, and it's not like Sasuke was gonna go ask him for any advice. If that was gonna happen, Kishi would've had to have written this quite differently.)

The reason I say Madara should be narrating, is because it seems like one of those failure-to-success stories. The whole thing with the rock making it to the other side seems very symbolic and important from Madara's POV. Sure, it's important for Hashi as well....but it doesn't directly pertain to him.

It's like if at Sasuke and Naruto's battle at the Valley of the End. Let's say that Naruto hadn't been able to scratch Sasuke's forehead protector and it was a really big deal.
    Now let's say years later they fight again, and Naruto manages to scratch his forehead protector this time.
    More years go by and Sasuke is retelling the story to someone. He goes into the flashback, and it's mainly focused on Naruto's determination and him scratching the forehead protector. It sounds like a "how I went from zero to hero story," but Sasuke's telling it instead of Naruto, which is completely backwards.

I hope I articulated my point well enough for that to make sense.
    Anyway, I probably made a bigger deal out of that small detail than I needed to, because it was just the last two pages of the chapter that even mentioned the rock going across, and we don't really know where this story is headed yet....but that's just the feel I got.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    :)

Thing is, its a manga.

Things are not always supposed to make sense (Especially flashbacks) because could you imagine Hashi even telling Naruto what we are seeing with just words.. Would be weird as shit.

They are just supposed to let us see more of the character(s).

IKSOKRIPS = X-O-Creeps IKSOKRIPS's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need help with the Timeline of
    Naruto? I'm the man you need!

I get what you're saying, but to me it really doesn't look like a big deal. :shrug:

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda tells you that Madara is getting his own...