Page 2 of 2 « First 12
    Status
    Jun 2011
    ding ding dong

Re: should I move to the United States?

I'd like to move to California, but I'm wondering if it's too expensive place for a normal guy like me to live in..

Status
    Jul 2011
    determined

I'd say it's expensive but not as expensive as everyone makes it out to be, sure celebrites live there but there not the only ones living there. I found rooms for rent starting from 550 a month including internet and utilites it just depends on how badly you want to succeed in whatever venture your going on, as of food and everything else I'm not sure sorry!

Status
    Dec 2012
    Lurking under a bridge to
    launch my attack

hell ya you should

Status
    May 2012
    The power glove - it's so bad.

I like this site because I know a fair amount of people on here live in the US and there are many intellegent people here on the base
    You place a lot of faith on narutobase users, but to each his own! Voice acting; can't say I can relate to that particular field, but I do encounter people who are undergrad music, theater students, and the ones I've asked, with regards to difficulty, all agree it's a tough field to crack. It'll be highly competitive, especially in major metropolitan areas. BUT, if you feel like you got the talent, why not? Besides, you'll meet a lot of interesting characters, along the way.
    In terms of all the other questions you asked:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/

TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Polar Bear Furrr.

Do you really really really really really really really like McDonald's?

If yes, yes, if no, yes.

Status
    Aug 2012
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by uchihadesendent View Post
    I'd say it's expensive but not as expensive as everyone makes it out to be, sure celebrites live there but there not the only ones living there. I found rooms for rent starting from 550 a month including internet and utilites it just depends on how badly you want to succeed in whatever venture your going on, as of food and everything else I'm not sure sorry!
    550 for rent is pretty cheap around here considering what it usually goes for. our family owns two three family apartments and we charge 600 a month for rent. i know my friends are paying 1000...apartments in new york easily go for 1000-2000 onward and upward. gotta find people to move in with, no matter where you go. id be cautious with that 550 in Cali. you might end up in the ghetto, and that place is scary. as "racist" as this might be, you dont want to be white in the wrong area of LA.

tornadoes arent common on the east coast, florida is nice and warm all year round, no snow. if you live in new york or boston, there is snow BUT you arent driving because the city is so tight so its a matter of being cold really. the snow can be beautiful. LA doesnt get snow either. cali is expensive to live in as well.

Status
    Jul 2011
    determined

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusStyleUser View Post
    550 for rent is pretty cheap around here considering what it usually goes for. our family owns two three family apartments and we charge 600 a month for rent. i know my friends are paying 1000...apartments in new york easily go for 1000-2000 onward and upward. gotta find people to move in with, no matter where you go. id be cautious with that 550 in Cali. you might end up in the ghetto, and that place is scary. as "racist" as this might be, you dont want to be white in the wrong area of LA.

tornadoes arent common on the east coast, florida is nice and warm all year round, no snow. if you live in new york or boston, there is snow BUT you arent driving because the city is so tight so its a matter of being cold really. the snow can be beautiful. LA doesnt get snow either. cali is expensive to live in as well.
    Thanks for the tips it will really help me out. I now know that I need to pay at least 600 a month and look to move somewhere on the east coast! Is food more expensive in the US?

Status
    Dec 2012
    This user has no status.

Hi, I was thinking of moving to the US five to six years from now in order to pursue my voice acting career!
    Five to six years from now? ...

The discussion will only be relevant about four years from now. So take anything you hear now with a grain of salt.

here are some of the things that I'm worried about!

Will the economy be better in five to six years?
    Unless the federal government manages to balance the budget (don't listen to any politician when it comes to this issue - just look up the U.S. Federal budget for that fiscal year and see whether or not expected revenues will even be close to expected expenses) - then no.

There again - it's troubling times for all economies, period.

Do you have to pay for healthcare?
    This... could change.

Right now, I pay for healthcare through a program offered to military reservists. It is relatively cheap, but is also somewhat restrictive.

I would recommend, if you have the option, of investing in what is called a "Health Savings Account." Basically, it's a high-deductible insurance plan (meaning that you pay all expenses up to a certain amount of money. Low deductibles are very expensive for the frequency people actually end up using them - high deductibles mean more money out of pocket, but less money spent on insurance) tied to a tax-deferred savings account to be used for medical expenses (money put in this account is not taxed and can only be used for medical expenses until the age of retirement, when it can be awarded to death beneficiaries and treated like a normal retirement account, if I remember correctly).

The other advantage of this is that you still get the advantage of having an insurance company's rates for services. Insurance companies enter into an agreement with any doctor who accepts their terms, and members of insurance companies can only be charged so much for a certain medication, operation, etc. This means that, even when you aren't encountering expenses above your deductible, you are still paying less than if you didn't have insurance to begin with.

Though this is more of an advantage when you are younger and have a couple decades to pay into your savings account before you start hitting personal or family health costs.

However, the "healthcare reform act" requires all employers to provide 'government approved' insurance plans to employees who work more than 29 hours a week and some other stuff. Or pay a fine. There is some other garbeldy-gook in there... but it amounts to an attempt to try and instate free healthcare, but it's going to increase the deficit spending by our government by another 300 billion dollars, easily - so I wouldn't count on it lasting any longer than the U.S. will at that rate.

That said, I do not recall how foreign nationals under visa are handled in this system (if at all).

What is the min wage?
    It depends upon the area in which you live. Some states have higher minimum wages because of their costs of living. The national minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. You need a room mate or two at that pay grade to be able to save money and work on improving your career (any minimum wage job is the same in that regard).

do I need a work permit to be able to live in the US for longer than 6 months?
    Technically, you are supposed to have a valid reason for being here, to begin with (not sure what tourist restrictions are). Though, honestly, our immigration system is a wreck. People have come here on vaccation and never left, and that was 20 years ago.

If you are here for work, you will need a work visa, I would imagine (and expanding that to work longer than 6 months should not be a problem). If you are wanting to stick around longer than that - you would be looking at a resident visa and a path to citizenship (which wouldn't be a bad thing to go for if you are here and so long as your home nation would not get pissy about it).

what do I need to move to the US?
    Well, except for personal/sentimental things - I would take as little as possible with you and have a plan for buying it once you get here. It would, also, be a good idea to take a trip or two (if you can afford) to the geographic region in which you expect to be working. Better to spend a few thousand dollars and discover that you'll end up hating living/working there than to try to end up stuck on a one-way trip.

You'll need a plan for where you are going to stay - a friend, apartment, rental home, etc. Honestly, I wouldn't move unless you already had job placement (and see what that company offers as far as relocation - if they have no official plan/policy, see how they would be willing to work with you in that regard... if they guarantee a service or payment - get it in writing).

I'm not sure what the area you live in is like - but in my world travels, I've noticed that few places are as 'spread out' as the U.S. tends to be. Unless you will be living -very- close to where you work, you will want a vehicle or a very good idea of how the public transport works (the U.S. tends to have less organized public transport than the rest of the world). If you do live close to where you work, you may not live close to where you want to go - and a bike would be a solid investment (particularly considering that cars can be considerably expensive when you compound that on top of moving to a new nation).

how much does a dual citizenship cost?
    http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/...tizenship.html

I'm not sure how dual-citizenship works for your home nation. That is a factor that I know nothing about.

what do I need to do to get a immigrant visa?
    This will give a better explanation:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ants_1340.html

any information would really help thanks!
    The other thing I would recommend is trying to get a hold of people who have immigrated from your country to America (or have spent any time living/working here) and get their opinions/advice on it.

Remember - the U.S. is a virtually a continent unto itself. While there are similarities amongst all locations in the U.S. - the atmosphere of Kansas (thousands of square kilometers of open grassland used for farming and where 'towns' are 50 people in population) and the atmosphere of New York are two completely different things, and the people a little different (and, as you can imagine, the economy).

Banned
    Status
    Jun 2012
    I'm not fond of peasants

I like this site because I know a fair amount of people on here live in the US and there are many intellegent people here on the base

I live in Canada

Thanks this is really opening my eyes! Is florida expensive? I'm trying to find a safe place to live that's close to a lot of studios has no snow and no tornadoes is there any place like that? You did mention california though it's expensive! Basically I'm searching for a place with no snow, close to studios and is safe can you offer me some suggestions!
    The only thing to worry about in Florida is Hurricanes. If you can't handle those, move to Atlanta.

Served fresh daily
    Status
    May 2012
    Damn, it feels good to be a
    wangsta

Sure, I think you'll fit in well

The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Let me answer that by asking you this. Why would you not move to the US? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post

If yes, yes, if no, yes.
    Genius, couldn't have said it better myself.

(Insert douchey kanji) Space Cowboy's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2013
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo View Post
    Don't go there, I heard they have dragons flying around and mutated nipple monsters.
    Pretty much this^ Leave the house unarmed, next thing you know you got no nipples.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Been quite inactive...

Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post

If yes, yes, if no, yes.
    Do you really like McDonalds and stupid homophobic rednecks? If no, then no. If yes then don't go anyway because there are places ten times better to go to in the world.

Status
    Mar 2010
    This user has no status.

Don't too many conniving people here than Europe.

(Insert douchey kanji) Space Cowboy's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2013
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post
    Do you really like McDonalds and stupid homophobic rednecks? If no, then no. If yes then don't go anyway because there are places ten times better to go to in the world.
    One of the most awful generalizations i think i have ever seen. Ever.

Status
    Sun Gazing, Peripheral Blazing

Quote Originally Posted by Wumbo View Post
    Don't go there, I heard they have dragons flying around and mutated nipple monsters.
    That's only if you have been cheesing.

Don't go cheesing brow

Page 2 of 2 « First 12