Who's the best?!! Zise is!! Lawliet's Avatar
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henrik is evil. Visions wUZ
    here

NB FAQs- Must be read BEFORE creating a thread in this section.

~ NarutoBase Frequently Asked Questions~

This thread consists of many guides of how things around the forum work.

Before you create a thread in the 'Questions and Suggestions' forum you are required to check that this section and ensure the answer to your question is not already here.

How to use this guide:

There are two ways to use this guide.
    1. Using the search function located on the top right corner of this post titled 'Search Thread'.
    2. Pressing Ctrl + F and enter the topic you wish to find the explanation for.

Example 1;
    If you have a question about 'changing your username'; press 'Search this Thread' at the top of this thread and type the keyword 'username'. The post explaining how you can change your username should appear.

If that does not work for you, you can always try the second option;

Example 2; Press Ctrl + F on your keyboard and a Find/Search dialogue box should appear. Type in the keywords of your question here and it will take you to the word on this thread and thus to its explanation. note: this only works on the page you are currently on, so it won't detect any words on the 2nd page of this thread~

Please make sure you read this guide before asking for help:

How to set your avatar, signature and profile picture

How to customize your personal profile

How do i change my username?

How to Become a Premium User

How to include an image in a post +
    How to align the image in a post

How to Embed a Youtube Video

What are Reputation points + How can I give it out

What are infractions/warnings/bans?

How to report a post / thread / Visitor Message
    /Private Message that breaks forum rules

Where is my thread?

How do i receive an NB award?

How to create a forum group

Who are the staff members and what do they do?

How to become a moderator

Cheers,

NB staff

Last edited by Ira; 03-03-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to set your avatar, signature and profile picture ~

~ How to set your avatar, signature
    and profile picture ~

Click on User CP. This is located on the top left corner of the forum.

This will lead you to the User CP bar:

To edit your avatar, signature, or profile picture, click on the corresponding link withing the User Cp.

All images uploaded to this site must follow forum rules.

Signatures must follow this set of rules:

The new NB signature rules are as follows:

Normal members
    - Are allowed to have 1 image in their signature
    - Are allowed to have 1 youtube video in their signature and it MUST be placed in a spoiler.
    - Youtube video must not be set on autoplay.
    - Max dimensions for their signature is 600 x 300

Need to resize your signature?
    Click here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=online+image+editing

Note 1: I understand that many of you have 'userbars' of sorts that you'd like to add to your sig. Granted that it remains within limits you may PM me (Lawliet) And i will add it into your sig for you. Let me just repeat that you must PM ONLY ME. As i have volunteered to add the extra image to your signatures and no other staff member will be doing it.

Note 2: Once you edit your sig again you will not be able to put two images yourself and will in fact have to PM me with the link to your added image and i will put it in for you.

Medical and Special RP Accounts
    - Are allowed to have 1 image + a userbar and an identification image if one is provided by the rules in their signature
    - These users need to ask Nexus to set those in their signature
    - Note 2 from the above rules applies.

Premium Members
    - Are allowed to have 3 images in their signature
    - Are allowed to have 1 youtube video in their signature and it MUST be placed in a spoiler.
    - Youtube video must not be set on autoplay.
    - Max dimensions for their signature is 600 x 450. This means that ALL THREE images must be within this limit.

Failure to obey these rules may result in a warning/infraction which depends on the moderators discretion. You may be asked to remove your signature. Failure to remove the signature will result in an infraction and your signature will be removed. Further rule breaking may result in a ban. All images on NarutoBase are required to follow forum rules- thus no inappropriate images allowed.

Note: NB has an auto-resizing tool for signatures but it is your job to ensure your sig follows all NB forum rules.

Last edited by Lawliet; 03-17-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to customize your personal profile ~

~ How to customize your personal profile ~

1. To access your profile customization page, you either click on the 'Customize Profile' button located on your personal page or you can find the same button via your User Control Panel.

2. Once there, your page should look like this if your profile has not been customized yet.

A detailed explanation of all main buttons is written within the spoiler tags.

There are 8 main sections in which your profile is divided: General, Modules, Inactive Modules, Buttons, Content and Headers.

You need to edit each one of these areas in order for your profile to be complete. Follows a detailed description of each section:

General: Here you chose the basics: the font that will be used in your profile, the color or picture you will use as background and the two main colors of the text which will show in the background areas of your profile. (Title text and page link)

Modules: Includes: A hardly visible outline of all sections of your profile, an outline of your profile pictures and of the tabs: Visitor Messages, About me, Contact Info etc.

Inactive Modules
    : This only colors the tab you have selected of the mentioned above ones.

Buttons: Colors the first line of each section and the not selected tabs.

Content:
    Colors the whole visitor messaging area, the statistics area on the right and the area around the text box of your profile.

Headers: Colors the activity bar, the sender tab of the visitor messaging area and the last line of the statistics area on the right.

3. Remember to fill every section in order to design a complete profile. Here are some important things you should keep in mind.

*Instead of colors, you can of course upload pictures for each section. This makes your profile way more interesting but also harder to design. Your NB album are interconnected with your User Control Panel. Upload the pictures you want to use in your NB album (won't work any other way) and then select them in the appropriate sections.

*The both button is very important if you have chosen to upload a picture. You must select the 'both' option it in order for the image to tile both vertically and horizontally to fill the whole space of a section else your profile will turn up looking completely messed up.

*Be careful of the borders! Choosing the wrong color of borders in each section could complete ruin your profile. You should make them be of the same color of the background picture of the area.

*If you want to have images in your profile intro text, you need to use the following BB code:
    PHP Code:
    [IMGPROF]input image url[/IMGPROF
    *If you are using BB codes in your profile intro text, you need to make sure you remove the " " - marks in the BB code in order for it to work. Example:
    PHP Code:
    [URL="www.google.com"]google[/URL
    make it like this
    PHP Code:
    [URL=www.google.com]google[/URL

I would like to enter the contest- Is my profile good?

If you want to participate and win the profile contest your profile should excel in the following:

►Creativity
    ►Use Of color
    ►Pleasing to the eye
    ►Originality
    ►Design

Here are some tips:

-Avoid the use of one color only. As in: your whole profile black, with no gif images and just white font.

-Avoid border lines in the primary content areas.

-Use colors that compliment each other.

-Don't use small pictures in large background areas.

-Use sparkles or gif images within reason. A profile that flashes from top to bottom is definitely hard to look at.

-Brighter profiles are harder to make; We appreciate the effort and If we have to chose between two equally good profiles we will favor the bright one.

-Only combining abstract pictures without a general theme or a somewhat 'statement' in your profile is considered a disadvantage.

-Try to work around a theme. Personally, I always build my profile based on my profile picture.

-Do not copy each other. We can spot duplicate profiles easily. Use your own creativity.

- Devote time. You can't expect to build a profile good enough to win the contest in one hour. Search for the best quality pictures, try a few different combinations, use a spectacular profile picture. Everything counts.

- Fill all areas of your profile. There is a difference between a decent profile and a good one. If you play it safe and you don't fill out all contents you can't expect to win.

- Ask around and take the advice of others. Especially of members who have a reputation as good profile designers.

- It is easier to work with an abstract image on the main background.

- A rule you should keep in mind: If the picture you have used distorts the text in the messaging area, it is not a good picture.

Good luck!

Last edited by Skorm; 08-03-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added two important subjects.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How do i change my username? ~

~ How do i change my username? ~

There are 2 ways to change your name on this forum;

1. Become a Premium Member

- Become a NB Premium Member by applying here

2. Win first place in a NB contest

- Win first place in any of the contests here: http://www.narutobase.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    and all you have to do is PM an admin to get your name changed.

- Check to make sure the username you are requesting is not already taken. Do this by searching for the name in this list.
    - Make sure that you have spelled both names correctly.
    - Use the following template in your request:

template

Current: <Fill in your current username>
    New: <Fill in the username you wish to get>

• Please be patient. It may take a while for your request to be completed.

Effects of a username change
    • When the username change has been completed, you have to login with the NEW username next time. Your password will not get changed.
    • Note: Once you have been renamed, your old username will no longer exist and may be recreated by someone else!

Last edited by Lawliet; 03-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to Become a Premium Member ~

~ How to Become a Premium Member ~

NarutoBase's content is completely free to anyone and everyone who visits. But for those who want to help us to maintain and expand our huge network, with vBulletin-type subscriptions, we offer you the NarutoBase supporter's group known as ★Premium membership .

As a tokens of appreciation for this support, ★Premium members get some extra privileges not available to normal users such as being able to close his/her own thread, 150x300 avatar size, and their own private, moderator free forum etc.

Forums
    • Can delete own threads
    • Can also open / close own threads
    • Can delete own Social Groups
    • Can hide reputation from others
    • Can use invisible mode on the entire forums
    • Max create usergroups: 10 (normally 5)
    • Fancy username shown in posts
    • More coming..*

• Fancy username
    • Avatar size permission 150x300 (normally 150x200)
    • Max lines in signature: 5 (normally 3)
    • Maximum Album Pictures: 300 (normally 150)
    • Can hide reputation from others
    • Can use invisible mode on the entire forums
    • Allowed to request username change 24/7
    • More coming..*

Personal Messages
    • Inbox increased to 2500 (normally 250)
    • Max PM Recipients 15 (normally 5)

To join this group click on User CP. This is located on the top left corner of the forum.

Scroll down to "My Account", and select "Paid Subscriptions" in this menu. It will open this page:

In order to pay for the subscription you must have a Paypal account, at the moment.

You can chose the package which suits you by clicking on cost.

In case you want to purchase Premium for a friend premium, send a PM to one of the administrators ( Zise or Nexus) telling them to whom(exact name of the member) you want to give it away. This must however be done just before you have bought the premium subscription, since it adds automatically to your own account it has to be removed manually and added to your friends account.

Last edited by Ira; 04-06-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to include an image in a post + How to align the image in a post ~

~ How to include an image in a post +
    How to align the image in a post ~

Find the picture you need and right-click it. Then select "View Image" . Then select the whole URL link.

Or if the picture is already uploaded in one of your NB albums, click on it and grab the direct URL

If the picture is on your computer, upload it to an image hosting website such as tinypic, imgur, photobucket, imageshack etc. then grab the 'direct url' after you have uploaded it on any of those sites.

Now to insert your image you can either place the URL of your image between these tags: [IMG]copy Url here[/IMG] or you can click on this image:

Click on "Submit new thread/Post" and you are done; Your picture now will appear in your posts or threads without any problem.

Remember that in your albums on NB there is already the image BB code link, which you can directly copy and paste where you want and your picture will appear. The BB code can be found underneath each picture as showed here:

---------------------------------------------------------

~ How to Align Pictures in a Post ~

Example Image Align Right:

The main characters of Team 7 (counterclockwise, from left): Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Naruto Uzumaki, and team leader, Kakashi Hatake. Naruto has a large number of characters, most of whom are ninjas. They initially study at the Ninja Academy, where the story begins, are split up into squads of three after their graduation and become Genin, rookie ninja. Each squad is assigned an experienced sensei.

Code:
    Code:
    [ img2=right ]http://imageurl/image.jpg[ /img2 ]Your text

Example Image Align Left:

The main characters of Team 7 (counterclockwise, from left): Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno, Naruto Uzumaki, and team leader, Kakashi Hatake. Naruto has a large number of characters, most of whom are ninjas. They initially study at the Ninja Academy, where the story begins, are split up into squads of three after their graduation and become Genin, rookie ninja. Each squad is assigned an experienced sensei.

Code:
    Code:
    [ img2=left ]http://imageurl/image.jpg[ /img2 ]Your text

Last edited by Lawliet; 04-17-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to Embed a Youtube Video ~

~ How to Embed a Youtube Video ~

Check out the URL of the Youtube video you want to use.

The last part of the url after "v=" (outlined with red box) is called the "Youtube ID". This is the part that you will need to use to embed your video in your posts.

Copy and paste the Youtube ID into the YOUTUBE tags on NB.

Or you can directly use the BB code for it:

[YOUTUBE]Youtube ID[/YOUTUBE ]

Remove the gap when closing the bracket with ']'.

Submit your post or thread and your video should appear like this:

For starting the Youtube video from some particular point: right click on timeline and you will get an option to "copy url at the current time", paste it and it starts the Youtube video at the point you want.

Remember that it may not work sometimes for copyright or whatever issues. Good thing is you can always find another video. ^^

Last edited by Zise; 11-14-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ What are Reputation points + How can I give it out~

~ What are Reputation points + How can I give it out~

The green icon/bar shown below your user statistics in the forums shows your reputation (or rep in short).

Reputation bar/point received may be positive , negative or neutral

If a member's reputation points are disabled or the person giving the reputation does not meet the criteria to affect someone else's reputation, the rep is displayed as neutral (grey icon ).

The number of bars depends upon your total reputation points.

Reputation points Number of bars
    1 bar
    2 bars
    3 bars
    4 bars
    5 bars
    6 bars
    7bars
    8 bars
    9 Bars
    10 bars
    11 bars

To give reputation, click on the reputation icon on the left hand side below the relevant post. This will dispaly a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation.

You can view the latest reputation that you have received or given, and your own reputation altering power in your User CP (User Control Panel)

The total value of the reputation altering power(rep power) is based on sum total of three conditions-

Joining Date-Initial default rep power is 1. On completion of an year at NarutoBase, users gain another 1 point of rep power.
    Post Count +1 point for every 2000 posts.
    Reputation Point +1 point for every 1000 points of reputation you receive.

New users must reach 20 rep before their reputation hits count on others.

A normal member can have a maximum of 50 rep power.

The premium users, can disable reputation display by going to their User CP and selecting Edit Options. Un-checking 'Show Your Reputation Level' box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon . You can still give and receive reputation.

Negative rep is half your normal repping power

A Thanked post is 5 rep points.

If you believe you have been unfairly neg-repped. Report a post of the member and in the reason box state that neg rep is the problem.

If you click on this bar these messages get displayed according to the user's reputation points.
    Reputation points Display Message
    User is the DEVIL
    User can only hope to improve
    User has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    User is an unknown quantity at this point
    User is on a distinguished road
    User will become famous soon enough
    User has a spectacular aura about
    User is a jewel in the rough
    User is just really nice
    User is a glorious beacon of light
    User is a name known to all
    User is a splendid one to behold
    User has much to be proud of
    User has a brilliant future
    User is a Kage
    User is a Legend
    User is NarutoBase addicted

Last edited by Lawliet; 08-05-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ What are infractions/warnings/bans? ~

~ What are infractions/warnings/bans? ~

Infractions are the 'punishment' of the site if you don't follow the Forum Rules. It is a permanent record that remains connected to your account. It can only be seen by you and the staff.

Breaking any of the Forum Rules rules may result in warnings/infraction points for such actions. The points depend upon on severity of violation.

Each warning/infraction has an expiry date which can be viewed on your personal profile under the 'infraction' tab.

The number 1, 2 or 0 depends on the rule you broke;

'0' means it's a warning,
    '1' is an infraction
    and '2' is a severe infraction.

If you have 3 active points you get banned for a day.

Further rule breaking with active points will result in a longer ban each time. As seen here:

Active Infraction Points Ban Period
    1 Day
    3 Days
    10 Days
    1 Month
    2 Months
    Forever

Normally we start with warnings and encourage the user to pay attention to the forum rules. Still, depending upon the situation a rule broken can have more than one infraction point at a single go and moderators can issue Custom infractions or ban instantly if situation warrants it. A single infraction may lead to you being banned forever if the rule broken is serious enough.

Persistent non-compliance with the Forum Rules or extreme cases such as messages containing hate speech or pornography may lead to a ban without further infractions or warnings. The sock puppet accounts made to troll or to bypass bans are instantly banned as well.

The administration reserves the right to permanently ban any member whose overall behaviour is detrimental to the community without prior warning.

Should there be a question or concern about a warning/infraction or ban, you may contact the moderator who gave it to you or an SMod. They will be able to explain/correct the situation for you.

Just make sure you have read the forum rules and you can enjoy browsing the forum in peace!

Last edited by Lawliet; 03-04-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to report a post / thread / Visitor Message /Private Message that breaks forum

~ How to report a post / thread / Visitor Message
    /Private Message that breaks forum rules ~

If you see a post/thread/VM or PM that breaks the forum rules or is inappropriate; you are able to report it.

How to report:

Posts and Threads:
    On the bottom left corner of all posts there is a report button ->
    Clicking this icon will take you to the reporting page where you have to put a small message about what is wrong with the post. After that you can click 'Send Report'.

VM's (Visitor Messages):
    If you receive a VM or see a VM on someone elses page that breaks forum rules (such as advertising, flaming, inappropriate content, etc) You may click the 'report button located on the top right corner of every VM.

PM's (Private Messages):
    If you receive a PM that breaks forum rules or you don't find appropriate (such as advertising, flaming, inappropriate content, etc) You may click the 'report'() button located on the bottom left corner of every PM.
    - Alternatively, you may forward the PM to a staff member who will take care of the problem for you.

Last edited by Lawliet; 08-11-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ Why has my thread been deleted? + I can't find my thread anymore. ~

~ Why has my thread been deleted? +
    I can't find my thread anymore. ~

~ How to find my thread? ~

You can use "View your threads" option to easily track your threads.

If you cannot find your thread while looking at the forum please check your threads first by clicking on the option mentioned above. It may have been simply removed to more relevant forum.

While we regularly move threads to their proper forums in various sections, it's your job to find the correct one in the first place. Please remind yourself that posting threads in the wrong section or duplicating existing topics is considered SPAM.

In order to keep track of certain threads made by others, you can always subscribe to them by clicking on the "subscribe" button under the "Thread Tools " option which is located in the top of any thread. This option will notify you when a new post has been made in that thread.

In case you cannot find the thread and it's truly disappeared or you are getting vBulletin message that 'you do not have permissions to see/access', it's been deleted/trashed.

Why has my thread been deleted?

* Posts in violation of the NarutoBase Global Forum Rules can be edited or deleted at a moderator's discretion.
    *If the thread itself is in violation of forum rules or too many posts in it are breaking rules in one way or another, the thread is closed and/or deleted. For example:
    -If a discussions leads to users becoming too personally involved, as in cases of heated debates, flaming and trolling etc. - the thread may be closed without further notice at a moderator's discretion or may be instantly deleted. Warnings/infractions will be given along with it when deemed fit.

*Similarly, cross-posting identical threads in different forum/sections and duplicate/similar threads on any topic may result in deletion of the copied threads, or with the threads being merged.

If a thread is deleted all the users posted in that thread will notice the decrease in their post count and loose access to those posts that they had in that thread.

In case you still have a query regarding a thread or believe that it was mistakenly removed, please contact a moderator of that section directly. You can find the name of the mods of that section here (Click it).

Last edited by Lawliet; 08-11-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How do i receive a NB award? ~

~ How do i receive a NB award? ~

NarutoBase Forums has a wide array of Awards that have been won in the past.

The different groups include:
    -Contests winners (You must participate and place in any of the NB contests)
    -Miscellaneous Forum awards (For being a helpful member or contributing positively to the forum) and
    -RolePlaying awards (these awards are handed out for various RP reasons such as winning a tournament or contributing to the system)
    -Staff-Only (You must be a member of the staff to be eligible for these awards)

The recipients as well as the awards can be found here: http://www.narutobase.net/forums/awards.php

Last edited by Lawliet; 06-09-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to create a forum group ~

~ How to create a forum group ~

1. Click on the triangle next to 'Community' to bring open up the drop down box.

2. Select the 'Groups' option from the drop down box.

3. On the group page,click the 'Create a group' button located on the left hand side.

4. You will have to enter some details for your group, namely the Name, description and how private you want the group to be.

5. Your group is complete! You can now invite members to join you.
    The owner of the group is able to manage their group under the 'admin' tab as seen in the following screenshot.

1) Edit group: Edit the name, description or type of group.
    2) Delete Group: To remove your group
    3) Pending and Invited Members: Where you can check who enters and does not enter your group.
    4) Manage Members: Where you can remove members from your group
    5) Transfer Group: You are able to give the group to another member if you do not want it anymore or if the original owner is no longer active.

Last edited by Lawliet; 03-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ Who are the staff members and what do they do? ~

~ Who are the staff members and what do they do? ~

The staff members are a group of people who take care of the site including, maintenance, reports, design and developments.

There are Administrators, Global Moderators -(Also known as Super Moderators or 'SMods'), Moderators and Designers.

A list of staff can be found by clicking here or by clicking on ' View Forum Leaders' located at the bottom of the forum homepage.

The list of forum leaders also shows which areas moderators have control over.

Administrators take care of the whole site-including the front page where the Manga and anime are updated + the forum
    __Global Moderators take care of the whole forum only and
    __Moderators have permissions only in certain sections of the forum.

The staff try their best to keep the forum a clean, family-friendly environment where people from around the world can read and discuss manga while enjoying all the other sections this forum has to offer.

If there is any problem that you are experiencing or see around the forum - the staff are the ones you can contact to help solve it. You can do this by PMing, VMing them directly or using the widely available 'report' button.

If you have a problem with a moderator, please PM a GMod with your concerns. Should you have a problem with an GMod, contact an admin with your concerns. If you have a problem with an admin -> contact Zise.

Last edited by Lawliet; 05-13-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    here

~ How to become a moderator ~

~ How to become a moderator ~

When the administrators see that they are in need of more moderators, they will open up the moderator applications. If you are interested in applying for the position you will do so there by following the guidelines and template that you will find in that special section.

This appears as a forum subsection.

What not to do:

-Do not create a thread asking to become a moderator.

-Do not visitor or private message the staff, this is seen as spam and is very annoying.

-When the s/mods say 'no' to you after contacting them to request a moderator's position do not contact the admins.

Last edited by Lawliet; 03-03-2013 at 12:37 PM.