Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Sleep paralysis, anyone?

So, I'm watching one of those horror documentaries which is basically about sleep paralysis.

It's happened to me a couple of times.
    Nasty little things they are.

I mistook shadows for dark entitites, thought something was sitting on my chest because I couldn't move, wanted to scream but couldn't utter a sound, felt like I was suffocating etc etc. All of it accompanied by an unexplainable feeling of terror.

For those who don't know about sleep paralysis, it's basically the mind waking up while the body is still sleeping. The eyes can be open while it happens. Due to your state, you tend to mistake the shadow of your jacket for a black cloaked figure, the walls seem weird, everything is coming to get you but you can't scream or move due to your body being unresponsive and so on.

The worst part of it is that the more stressed you are, the more it happens. So it basically triggers itself.

During the period that it continually happened, I found that calming myself down and realising that I was suffering from sleep paralysis greatly helped with the hallucinations and panic and it eventually went away.

Anyways, do you have any experience with it?
    Has it ever happened to you?

I wonder if it's relatively common.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer

Re: Sleep paralysis, anyone?

3th thread on it xD

let me just copy paste my comment on the last sleep paralysis thread. Be right back

edit: I lived on my own for a couple of months in a appartment. There, I had my first and last sleep paralysis.
    Nowadays, my older cousin lives in that same appartment and I moved back in my mom's place.
    My cousin told me he mainly avoids his bedroom since he feels a unpleasant presence..

and he asked me if I felt the same.. Only when he mentioned it, I realized I had the same experiences in that bedroom but never even considered it to be something paranormal.. the things he described where exactly the same things I experienced. Hearing footsteps at night, a odd, unpleasant feeling like something was leering at you and such.
    And we both had our first sleep paralysis in that room.

My sleep paralysis was a bit intense and unexpected. I woke up, body stiffened, couldn't move an inch and I had this weird phenomenon..which felt like a huge waterfall crashed inside my head.. My ears where ringing like crazy and I saw a blue light that seemed to be on my forehead..

All I can say to that is . . . Weird sh1t is weird.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looked in the mirror and
    realized I had something to
    prove.

I've had it before. One of the worst feelings ever.

Banned
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Que rico...

I'd actually like to get into one. It's been said that sleep paralysis is by far the easiest step to acquire lucid dreaming, which would be pretty damn awesome xD Problem is that no matter how I try, getting into sleep paralysis seems to be impossible...

I also honestly just want to know what it is that makes everyone talk about it like it's a horror movie..

TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polar Bear Furrr.

Huuuurrrr Durrrr

Sleep Paralysis is a sudden disruption of your normal sleep pattern...

Couple deep breaths should trick your brain into waking up your body properly, nothing big.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by YowYan View Post
    3th thread on it xD

let me just copy paste my comment on the last sleep paralysis thread. Be right back
    Hahahahaha seriously?

Wow, I didn't even bother with searching it. I didn't think there would be a thread about it and even if there were it would be a long dead thread. Guess I was wrong.

Banned
    Status
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

That happened to me alot

When that happens i use all my force and get out of the paralyiss

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Definitely happened to me before. I find myself screaming or atleast mouthing at the figure stuff like "If i could move i'd tear you to pieces, know that."

Advanced Anti Sakura Unit GenKiDama's Avatar
    Status
    Feb 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ban Count:30 Time spent
    banned: 9Months 10 days

I had it once or twice and it was not fun.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looked in the mirror and
    realized I had something to
    prove.

3th thread on it xD

edit: I lived on my own for a couple of months in a appartment. There, I had my first and last sleep paralysis.
    Nowadays, my older cousin lives in that same appartment and I moved back in my mom's place.
    My cousin told me he mainly avoids his bedroom since he feels a unpleasant presence..

and he asked me if I felt the same.. Only when he mentioned it, I realized I had the same experiences in that bedroom but never even considered it to be something paranormal.. the things he described where exactly the same things I experienced. Hearing footsteps at night, a odd, unpleasant feeling like something was leering at you and such.

My sleep paralysis was a bit intense and unexpected. I woke up, body stiffened, couldn't move an inch and I had this weird phenomenon..which felt like a huge waterfall crashed inside my head.. My ears where ringing like crazy and I saw a blue light that seemed to be on my forehead..

I need to visit this room.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin Rei View Post
    Hahahahaha seriously?

Wow, I didn't even bother with searching it. I didn't think there would be a thread about it and even if there were it would be a long dead thread. Guess I was wrong.
    Here's one by SilverSlick: http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=330593
    And mine from a month or 2 back: http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260677

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Yeah :/ i've also had dejavu before... Wait... Has this thread been made before?

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

3th thread on it xD

Oh dear.
    Well, the reason you both experienced it could be due to your surroundings. Staying alone, a leaky pipe, the pitter patter sounds that most probably have a logical explanation. Even the humidity of a place can have a negative effect on stress levels.

Quote Originally Posted by -6 Paths- View Post
    I'd actually like to get into one. It's been said that sleep paralysis is by far the easiest step to acquire lucid dreaming, which would be pretty damn awesome xD Problem is that no matter how I try, getting into sleep paralysis seems to be impossible...

I also honestly just want to know what it is that makes everyone talk about it like it's a horror movie..
    Hahahahaha it's quite fun to be honest. Plus, it gives you an awesome story to tell.

I've experienced quite a few while doing sports. It usually happens when I'm physically exhausted along with an uneasy mind.

I've had giant spiders coming down the ceiling and crawling all over me, a black hooded figure staring at my bed that seemed as if it was getting closer, a black mass sitting on my chest and a couple of beings strangling me. I probably had a couple more that I can't seem to remember now.

Hell, a while back it happened so often that whenever I woke up in the middle of the night, terror mode on, with the black misty figure looming over me I went ''Meh, sleep paralysis.'' and went back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post
    Huuuurrrr Durrrr

Sleep Paralysis is a sudden disruption of your normal sleep pattern...

Couple deep breaths should trick your brain into waking up your body properly, nothing big.
    Well, of course it is.
    But you can't deny that it's still scary as shyte.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    They say I 'm a troubled boy,
    just because I like to
    destroy, all the things that
    bring the idiots joy. Well,
    what's wrong with a little
    destruction?

Quote Originally Posted by -6 Paths- View Post

Well I guess a living nightmare is much worse than a horror movie. Not awesome at all. Don't think that in your lucid dream you choose a harem of supermodels and enjoy a massage :P
    Most probably you are gonna get a monster chasing you to kill you :D Not sexy, not sexy at all :P

Status
    Nov 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo4 View Post
    Well I guess a living nightmare is much worse than a horror movie. Not awesome at all. Don't think that in your lucid dream you choose a harem of supermodels and enjoy a massage :P
    Most probably you are gonna get a monster chasing you to kill you :D Not sexy, not sexy at all :P
    ^^^^^^^ this! :s it's not pretty....

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I really want to experience one. I've tried to astral project, but is very hard for me to stay still and try keeping your brain empty from random thoughts. Is there any way how I can easily be able to experience a sleep paralysis? I really want to experience a lucid dream, sleep paralysis, astal projection...

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    :D

Sleep paralysis must ne very very scary a friend of me told me that he tought he was dead the heart beating bumb bumb when you wake up and cant move your body :D

Banned
    Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO

Hahahahaha it's quite fun to be honest. Plus, it gives you an awesome story to tell.

I've experienced quite a few while doing sports. It usually happens when I'm physically exhausted along with an uneasy mind.

I've had giant spiders coming down the ceiling and crawling all over me, a black hooded figure staring at my bed that seemed as if it was getting closer, a black mass sitting on my chest and a couple of beings strangling me. I probably had a couple more that I can't seem to remember now.

Hell, a while back it happened so often that whenever I woke up in the middle of the night, terror mode on, with the black misty figure looming over me I went ''Meh, sleep paralysis.'' and went back to sleep.

Well, of course it is.
    But you can't deny that it's still scary as shyte.
    Sign one that you're lying

Sign two that you're lying

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Long Schlong View Post
    Sign one that you're lying

Sign two that you're lying
    Hahahaha apparently our definitions of fun greatly differ.

Seriously though, experience the damn thing three times in a row and you kind of grow accustomed to it. There's always the initial panic, but after you realise what's going on it's quite easy to calm yourself.

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Seriously though, experience the damn thing three times in a row and you kind of grow accustomed to it. There's always the initial panic, but after you realise what's going on it's quite easy to calm yourself.
    How are you able to experience it?

Banned
    Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO

I've been trying to Lucid Dream for nearly 2 years, experiencing sleep paralysis not commonly, but not uncommonly either. You can't "get rid of the fear", otherwise sleep paralysis wouldn't be as infamous as it is. You can tell what's happening, but you can't control the panic.

Obviously you are stretching the truth if you go as far to say, "it's not scary" or you can simply get out of it by saying, "meh sleep paralysis" because that is not how it works.

Status
    Apr 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by -God of War- View Post
    How are you able to experience it?
    As I mentioned earlier, it tended to happen when I was both bodily and mentally exhausted. I'm an ex swimmer and I usually experienced it during meets, when I was pretty stressed before I went to sleep due to the upcoming events of the next day. Never in hotel rooms by the way. It always seems to happen when I'm at home. It might be pure coincidence though.

I've been trying to Lucid Dream for nearly 2 years, experiencing sleep paralysis not commonly, but not uncommonly either. You can't "get rid of the fear", otherwise sleep paralysis wouldn't be as infamous as it is. You can tell what's happening, but you can't control the panic.

Obviously you are stretching the truth if you go as far to say, "it's not scary" or you can simply get out of it by saying, "meh sleep paralysis" because that is not how it works.
    From personal experience I can tell that there are varying degrees of fear when it comes to sleep paralysis. Sometimes the panic is overwhelming, sometimes not. Sometimes I can will myself awake. Sometimes, although my body doesn't respond, after the initial jolt of fear I become fully aware that what I'm experiencing isn't real, which automatically eliminates the panic factor and I can will myself back to sleep. I'm not sure if I even wake up during the process, meh.

I've even had a couple of pleasent ones, completely devoid of the fear and panic, if we can categorise them as sleep paralysis too. The pleasent ones tend to happen during the day, if I've dozed off on the couch or something. Usually in well lit areas. I guess the light eliminates the panic factor. Though generally speaking, I think the fear factor is related to how mentally awake and aware I am while experiencing it.

Anyway, why on earth does your experience invalidate mine? Just because you experience it in a certain way doesn't mean everybody else must too.

Last edited by Kirin Rei; 03-18-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lone Ranger, Sun Gazer

My first sleep paralysis occured spontaneously. I was frightened (obviously) but after a minute (or longer?) at it, I decided to just close my eyes and go back to sleep. She did the same.