Page 2 of 2 « First 12
    Banned
    Status
    Mar 2012
    NO

Re: Sleep paralysis, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin Rei View Post
    Hahahaha apparently our definitions of fun greatly differ.

Seriously though, experience the damn thing three times in a row and you kind of grow accustomed to it. There's always the initial panic, but after you realise what's going on it's quite easy to calm yourself.
    I've been trying to Lucid Dream for nearly 2 years, experiencing sleep paralysis not commonly, but not uncommonly either. You can't "get rid of the fear", otherwise sleep paralysis wouldn't be as infamous as it is. You can tell what's happening, but you can't control the panic.

Obviously you are stretching the truth if you go as far to say, "it's not scary" or you can simply get out of it by saying, "meh sleep paralysis" because that is not how it works.

Status
    Apr 2011
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by -God of War- View Post
    How are you able to experience it?
    As I mentioned earlier, it tended to happen when I was both bodily and mentally exhausted. I'm an ex swimmer and I usually experienced it during meets, when I was pretty stressed before I went to sleep due to the upcoming events of the next day. Never in hotel rooms by the way. It always seems to happen when I'm at home. It might be pure coincidence though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Long Schlong View Post
    I've been trying to Lucid Dream for nearly 2 years, experiencing sleep paralysis not commonly, but not uncommonly either. You can't "get rid of the fear", otherwise sleep paralysis wouldn't be as infamous as it is. You can tell what's happening, but you can't control the panic.

Obviously you are stretching the truth if you go as far to say, "it's not scary" or you can simply get out of it by saying, "meh sleep paralysis" because that is not how it works.
    From personal experience I can tell that there are varying degrees of fear when it comes to sleep paralysis. Sometimes the panic is overwhelming, sometimes not. Sometimes I can will myself awake. Sometimes, although my body doesn't respond, after the initial jolt of fear I become fully aware that what I'm experiencing isn't real, which automatically eliminates the panic factor and I can will myself back to sleep. I'm not sure if I even wake up during the process, meh.

I've even had a couple of pleasent ones, completely devoid of the fear and panic, if we can categorise them as sleep paralysis too. The pleasent ones tend to happen during the day, if I've dozed off on the couch or something. Usually in well lit areas. I guess the light eliminates the panic factor. Though generally speaking, I think the fear factor is related to how mentally awake and aware I am while experiencing it.

Anyway, why on earth does your experience invalidate mine? Just because you experience it in a certain way doesn't mean everybody else must too.

Last edited by Kirin Rei; 03-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Status
    Sun Gazing, Peripheral Blazing

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Long Schlong View Post

My first sleep paralysis occured spontaneously. I was frightened (obviously) but after a minute (or longer?) at it, I decided to just close my eyes and go back to sleep. She did the same.

Page 2 of 2 « First 12