Status
    Dec 2012
    This user has no status.

Deadman Wonderland (Anime)

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=6880

Finished Deadman Wonderland, and as I expected, it was enjoyable but still kinda disappointing. The anime had the disadvantage of me having read (and loved) the manga prior, so I already knew everything that would happen and before I knew it I was done watching through this. Seeing everything animated was still quite fun (and very very bloody as expected), but 12 episodes was way too short, and as of yet it seems that a second season is either distant or not gonna happen at all.

So for those of you who still haven't gotten to this series yet, basically you have a boy named Ganta who is the sole survivor of his class being massacred by some weird figure referred to as the "Red Man." Ganta is then framed as the murderer of the class and sent to a very unusual prison known as Deadman Wonderland. It's unusual in that the setting is actually an amusement park of sorts, but the people who go to see the events don't realize that a lot of the bloody stuff that takes place is real and not just some weird special effects. With a lot of crazy inmates and insane events taking place, Ganta has to struggle to survive. He meets an unusual girl named Shiro who tags along with him and helps him get by. Ganta eventually discovers his ability to use blood as a weapon and a lot of battles and intense struggles take place.

A very common comparison to Deadman Wonderland is Future Diary, and truth be told that's the reason I got into the manga in the first place. While some recommendations are only surface level, DW and FD are actually very, very similar stories. The two male leads (Ganta and Yuki) are very similar and rely heavily on their stronger female partners (Shiro and Yuno) to survive in the deadly situation they're forced into. Obviously the abilities and settings are very different, but at their core there are a number of shared elements.

Now this is a good thing with the manga because jumping into Deadman after FD was very easy at the time and having a somewhat lengthy story with very similar elements was great. With the anime.........well, Future Diary's anime is complete (mostly, if we ignore its awful treatment of the ending), but with Deadman it only goes through the first few arcs and then just stops. The last episode doesn't even feel like a conclusion of any sort, the arc does end but it really just feels like another episode passed and then suddenly it's done.

As far as I recall, the anime didn't exactly "ruin" anything in adapting the manga and the fights were pretty well done. The problem is that a story like Deadman just doesn't work right with 12 episodes. The only reason Deadman is so great is because of the plot twists and epic reveals that take place later on. The character development for just about every major player is also fantastic in the later stages of the manga. Problem is that the few who actually make it in the anime don't get much development. Some people get the screen time they need, but characters like Shiro and Crow don't get nearly as much development as they do in the manga, leaving them a bit lacking in comparison.

I can definitely say I enjoyed Deadman's anime, and the little bit of the manga it adapted was given proper treatment. But without a second season to continue with, a lot of what made the series so great in the first place won't be adapted and it's a shame because at its best it's one of my favorite ongoings too.

Status
    Jan 2013
    This user has no status.

Re: Deadman Wonderland (Anime)

It was an enjoyable anime, but it is not something i would watch again

Status
    Dec 2012
    This user has no status.

Re: Deadman Wonderland (Anime)

Quote Originally Posted by ItzShowtime View Post
    It was an enjoyable anime, but it is not something i would watch again
    Knowing me I might rewatch it eventually, but yeah there are definitely other series out there that are better for that. Not to mention the manga is a much better option too, I really wish some company would relicense it in America.