Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Guilty Crown

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10793/Guilty_Crown

All done with Guilty Crown, and I've been pleasantly surprised. With all the negative hype I've heard about it, I had my doubts about this being any good, but I have to say that I honestly had a really good time watching it. It may not be a perfect show, but I think it's less worthy of the hate than, say, SAO.

Basically, following the outbreak of the "Apocalypse Virus," Japan has been occupied by an organization known as GHQ. Shu Ouma, a socially awkward, isolated boy is living his typical life when he gets involved with a rebel group known as the Undertakers and obtains the Power of Kings, which allows him to use Voids (objects representing the heart of whoever he takes it from). From here on, cue dramatic battles, crazy plot twists, and some fanservice too.

Guilty Crown is essentially like a combination of Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion in my opinion. More than anything the plot reflects the story of Code Geass, with a similar setting, very comparable circumstances, character roles that are very close, and quite a few events that are extremely similar. Some might call it a rip-off, although I wouldn't say it's close enough for that, namely because Shu is VERY different from Lelouch (and nowhere near as awesome of course), which alone changes many things altogether. I might say that GC is like throwing Shinji Ikari into a Geass-like setting, but even that doesn't really cover everything quite accurately. In any case, I wouldn't say that Guilty Crown is quite as good as those two series (then again, very few are to begin with), but I felt Guilty Crown was still great fun when it all came down to it.

Enjoyable though it was, there were some problems. There are times when Guilty Crown tries too hard to pull off plot twists, and a lot of those are indeed reminiscent of Geass in execution. Now I'm not gonna rant about originality because it's stupid when you realize that pretty much nothing in anime can be "original" at this point in time, but I will say that some stuff is a bit predictable, not necessarily because it's something that you can blatantly see coming but rather because the same type of stuff has been done in other series we've seen. Stuff can get pretty rushed too and that means not everything is explained quite properly, but overall it's pretty easy to fill in the blanks. Another thing is that the characters weren't quite as amazing as I would've liked. Obviously you aren't gonna find another series with quite the same awesome cast as Geass, but even then Guilty Crown doesn't have any characters that stand out as godly, and sometimes the characters feel a bit inconsistent personalitywise, particularly the two leads.

In the end I really did like it, and I get the impression that maybe I'm missing something obvious with the hate. It had its share of flaws, but nothing that I felt ruined the anime for me. Of course, it could just be that I had my expectations so low that when it ended up not being so bad, it just made me like it instead. If that's the case, then I should really set my expectations for everything to be rock bottom. It may not be a Code Geass, but let's face it: What is?

Status
    Jun 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    this statement is false

Re: Guilty Crown

i love this anime, one of my favorites :D

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bans won't hold me back.

Wow your one of the few who actually liked the end. The ending ruined it for me.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I never would've guessed that you think that Code Geass is soooo good. -____-

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by yahiko24 View Post
    i love this anime, one of my favorites :D
    Glad to see you enjoyed it as well. I had a fun time with it and it surpassed my expectations quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jquickhanz View Post
    Wow your one of the few who actually liked the end. The ending ruined it for me.
    Truth be told I didn't really like the conclusion itself. I wouldn't say it was a terrible conclusion (at least not compared to stuff like Sakamichi no Apollon or the Aincrad arc of SAO) but it was far from the ideal ending. It seemed like the end was pretty rushed and there wasn't much closure either. That said, I wouldn't say that it ruined the anime for me since the series did have everything else going for it prior, but the ending was pretty meh overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Yusuke Urameshi View Post
    I never would've guessed that you think that Code Geass is soooo good. -____-
    Is there a problem with that? Code Geass is obviously one of my favorites, but for very good reason. It had a very compelling plot with a lot of developments and pretty much the entirety of the cast was developed very well throughout, with nobody being strictly good or evil but simply with conflicting beliefs and that made it all the more interesting.

More importantly, what the hell does your post have to do with this thread? Does someone else's opinion on an entirely different anime make you that butthurt?

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    目には目を,
    歯には歯を,
    悪には悪を

finished watching the series few days ago and it's already on my top 20, it was a good anime

EDIT: thnx to my bro -Punk- who told me about this anime

Last edited by Belphegor; 04-20-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Status
    Sep 2012
    I'm jaden yuki and I'm absolutely flawless
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brynhildr in the darkness and
    black bullet are the best

its really good i loved it

espesially when inori ***** and shu **8 and goes 8******

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attack on Titan/Akame Ga
    kill/Code
    Breaker/Coppelion/Deadman
    Wonderland = Favorite mangas.

This is one of my favorite animes , i've watched it 4 times so far

Screw the haters , they dont know good anime

so please :

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Awesome to see there are actually a lot of other people who enjoyed GC too. I was worried I would be the only one who actually enjoyed it, a lot of people seem to despise it for whatever reason. I think GC is pretty underrated and that people go into it expecting too much out of it.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attack on Titan/Akame Ga
    kill/Code
    Breaker/Coppelion/Deadman
    Wonderland = Favorite mangas.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles vi Britannia View Post
    Awesome to see there are actually a lot of other people who enjoyed GC too. I was worried I would be the only one who actually enjoyed it, a lot of people seem to despise it for whatever reason. I think GC is pretty underrated and that people go into it expecting too much out of it.
    OH & also ....i forgot to say , that the music the anime has its damn good ...i have it on my IPOD

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beware

I didn't like it because everything was just too cliche.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by -Punk- View Post
    OH & also ....i forgot to say , that the music the anime has its damn good ...i have it on my IPOD
    Yeah the music is great, especially Bios. Things get epic whenever that one plays. I really liked the openings too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghan View Post
    I didn't like it because everything was just too cliche.
    I can't deny that, but when it comes to anime originality is hard to come across because everything's been done somewhere or other. If you look into it, almost everything has taken elements from previous works, some more than others though. The few that do something completely different either end up as revolutionary or fail terribly in the end.

In any case, I'd still say I liked the execution. It was far from perfect and other series before have done it better, but I felt there wasn't anything particularly "bad" about it.

Status
    Mar 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    To Motivated for this.

It could have been great had it not taken itself so seriously... I enjoyed after i came to that conclusion. Had it not have had such a serious undertone then i may have even compared it to the crazyness of codegeass r2

However seems like there doing the right thing for valvrave and starting off 100% off the rails

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    ketika rindu mekarnya di musim
    asmara..

Its a good anime and i found this anime from their op and ed lol

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    #Gobi4Mod

*points at my avatar*

Seems pretty cool. Didnt watch the anime, but I thought the renders looked cool though. I also wanna try SAO

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentBush View Post
    *points at my avatar*

Seems pretty cool. Didnt watch the anime, but I thought the renders looked cool though. I also wanna try SAO
    Yeah when it comes to graphics and character design, GC did a really good job. The visuals are great and if nothing else, it seems like they're universally accepted as the really solid aspects of the series even among those who don't like the plot. Though I personally think the series as a whole is pretty awesome. As for SAO, it's pretty enjoyable and good fun at its best but far from perfect and has one really awful episode.