Series Finale will arrive 24th
    of July!!

Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [May 2013]

>_>
    <_<
    >_<
    <_>

*Looks around*

Ehm... No, Double A xD I won't join, lol.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Writing some stuff... It's a
    surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    >_>
    <_<
    >_<
    <_>

*Looks around*

Ehm... No, Double A xD I won't join, lol.
    Damn. It doesn't matter now. I realize I can't do the tourney this weekend. It will be next weekend.

Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Legendary Sage of Konoha's
    of July!!

In other news... Real Madrid and Mourinho part ways O__O

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/...ve-real-madrid

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    surprise...

If anyone is still interest, I am moving the date of the tournament to next weekend.

Michael, I'm not talking to you.

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of July!!

What was that??? I think I heard a bird flying by

Edit: I've just realized something by reading over some of my chapters of my original work, and that is... The past and now... are different... The past had many great FFs, but it wasn't about writing the best English, having the best structure... It was about having the best story... Nowadays, every writer on the base has more than okay English... They have proper English, and the FFs are overall better.

Due to this, it was easier to stand out in the past and get famous, because not many people cared too much about the writing itself, but the content, the story it had to offer... And those who possessed both abilities?? They are remembered as Legends... One of which we all know as RokuNr...

And also due to this, it's even harder to stand out today as not only does people write good stories, but the overall English on the base is better than ever!

I just checked out the two final chapters of my original work, which I finished back in 2011... and damn did I twist my eyes over the "noobish" English I used back then?! xD
    I mean, the story has always come from the same mind, but the structure, grammar and everything else that comes along with it, has become better (at least I think so myself). So this got me thinking how I had "so many fans" in the past (not necessarily compared to now, as times have changed), and I do think I realized that people had a different view on FFs before. Nowadays people press the back button if the FF doesn't have proper English, regardless of the person's story and whether he/she's just foreign and doesn't have English as his/her first language... In conclusion to this scribbling of text, that was something to think about. History lesson over for this time, haha xD

Edit 2: And because I realized this!! I'm going to try and take story as the main concern with my decision of whom I'll vote for this month... IF... I get time to read.

Last edited by Michael92; 05-21-2013 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added the edits!! O__O

The Devil's Advocate Shinobi Train's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

Edit: I've just realized something by reading over some of my chapters of my original work, and that is... The past and now... are different... The past had many great FFs, but it wasn't about writing the best English, having the best structure... It was about having the best story... Nowadays, every writer on the base has more than okay English... They have proper English, and the FFs are overall better.

Due to this, it was easier to stand out in the past and get famous, because not many people cared too much about the writing itself, but the content, the story it had to offer... And those who possessed both abilities?? They are remembered as Legends... One of which we all know as RokuNr...

And also due to this, it's even harder to stand out today as not only does people write good stories, but the overall English on the base is better than ever!

I just checked out the two final chapters of my original work, which I finished back in 2011... and damn did I twist my eyes over the "noobish" English I used back then?! xD
    I mean, the story has always come from the same mind, but the structure, grammar and everything else that comes along with it, has become better (at least I think so myself). So this got me thinking how I had "so many fans" in the past (not necessarily compared to now, as times have changed), and I do think I realized that people had a different view on FFs before. Nowadays people press the back button if the FF doesn't have proper English, regardless of the person's story and whether he/she's just foreign and doesn't have English as his/her first language... In conclusion to this scribbling of text, that was something to think about. History lesson over for this time, haha xD

Edit 2: And because I realized this!! I'm going to try and take story as the main concern with my decision of whom I'll vote for this month... IF... I get time to read.
    For the most part, I've always thought the English sucked in all the FFs, haven't seen too much of a change either. That's just me though. ^_^

Using proper grammar and using English are two different things. The grammar might be good, but the use of the language is atrocious.

"I walked over the chair and sat down"...good for you.

"I meandered to my seat through the clouds of smoke"...interesting, do go on...

See what I mean? Not that my second example was much better, but at least it wasn't the first example, which is what I see most of the time. lol

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi Train View Post
    For the most part, I've always thought the English sucked in all the FFs, haven't seen too much of a change either. That's just me though. ^_^

Using proper grammar and using English are two different things. The grammar might be good, but the use of the language is atrocious.

See what I mean? Not that my second example was much better, but at least it wasn't the first example, which is what I see most of the time. lol
    Awww. I really thought I had improved... Yes, I do see what I mean, because of the abundance of "sophisticated" (I shouldn't use that term loosely) writers that are also readers, they egg on the people who don't have the best writing skills, and a lot of them can't take the criticism. I try to read FF's that are poorly written, and try to help, but in the end a lot of it is down the shitter.

Frankly, I hate comedy FF's.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    SENZU BEAN!!!

In due time, we all improve on something the more we do it; writing is no stranger to this law either.

OMG Sam you burned my eyes! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA49 View Post
    Awww. I really thought I had improved... Yes, I do see what I mean, because of the abundance of "sophisticated" (I shouldn't use that term loosely) writers that are also readers, they egg on the people who don't have the best writing skills, and a lot of them can't take the criticism. I try to read FF's that are poorly written, and try to help, but in the end a lot of it is down the shitter.

Frankly, I hate comedy FF's.
    Seriously though I know what you guys are talking about and it's not just NB that has this problem. I read other sites that have stories and half the time I just glance over it and don't even bother reading it in the end. If it's too terrible then I won't read it, but I do try to piece it together if it's for a friend or whatever.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got in my first car
    accident. ...**** me.

That's probably a good way of judging them, since not too many people writing these stories actually plan to be writers, except for S. Train and I

Yeah, trying to use more advanced vocabulary has always been my biggest concern, cause I've really got no problems in the grammar department. I've honestly gotten to the point where I can't write short sentences without having a problem with it. Same goes for paraphrasing, which you've probably noticed if you read my works

Hey, TOC

Last edited by Chakra Wizard; 05-21-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    SENZU BEAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    That's probably a good way of judging them, since not too many people writing these stories actually plan to be writers, except for S. Train and I

Yeah, trying to use more advanced vocabulary has always been my biggest concern, cause I've really got no problems in the grammar department. I've honestly gotten to the point where I can't write short sentences without having a problem with it. Same goes for paraphrasing, which you've probably noticed if you read my works
    Actually, I have met a few people on the base other than you two that want to become a writer of some sort.

I have that same problem, don't feel too bad.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    In due time, we all improve on something the more we do it; writing is no stranger to this law either.

OMG Sam you burned my eyes! lol

Seriously though I know what you guys are talking about and it's not just NB that has this problem. I read other sites that have stories and half the time I just glance over it and don't even bother reading it in the end. If it's too terrible then I won't read it, but I do try to piece it together if it's for a friend or whatever.
    I'm not saying that I'm a great writer. I'm not saying I'm a good writer. However, I've come pretty damn far in the past (almost exactly) five months. I have three solid FF's (two of which have both competed in the FF contest, which I do take pride in) and my writing skills have increased exponentially. I don't plan on being a writer. I'm just a thinker, and putting some of my thoughts happened to be half way decent FF's. I actually plan on becoming a politician, and writing will help with speeches. Too many things go through my head every minute: ideas, plans, questions, you name it, it's probably passed through my cerebrum. (not literally of course, I have my limits)

How are ya'?

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got in my first car
    accident. ...**** me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    Actually, I have met a few people on the base other than you two that want to become a writer of some sort.

I have that same problem, don't feel too bad.
    Hmm, they need to speak up then. We could all chat and share advice and opinions

It almost makes me feel like my writing won't be taken seriously if it's not nice and long

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

I wasn't talking about you guys, geez. "Most of the writers" aren't you guys, they never come here, they know to keep their distance. lol

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Lord is my light and my
    salvation; whom shall I fear?
    the Lord is the strength of my
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid

How many words are in a novel on average? I've actually started writing one, got two pages done(about 1400+ words) and I wanna know how many I should be going for?

Can't put down the noob writers on the base since I'm one that once noobish myself and I only got a little better through encouragement and tips from others(Kuroi Honoo-senpai, Germanicus, S. Train, TOC and many many more who are writers and readers alike)

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a limit to the people
    I can care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    How many words are in a novel on average? I've actually started writing one, got two pages done(about 1400+ words) and I wanna know how many I should be going for?

Can't put down the noob writers on the base since I'm one that once noobish myself and I only got a little better through encouragement and tips from others(Kuroi Honoo-senpai, Germanicus, S. Train, TOC and many many more who are writers and readers alike)
    It's extremely varied, but it tends to be around 300 pages. But when you write, you shouldn't care about the average amount of pages in a novel, you should only think about finishing your story with the perfect length to it. That's what I think at least.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smacking b*tch
    nigga's...>.>

A novel is different from just a book. A book begins and ends the story of the character therein with no continuation of said story or characters in any other book. A novel is a series of books that either continue the story or characters with each volume, often times both. Per book, a novel can be between one hundred pages or thousands, depending on the target audience and the author's discretion.

There is no set amount of pages per book or books per novel, these numbers are set mainly by the writer. It's best not to set a goal for a specific number of pages, you may find yourself filling space or cutting things down when it should have developed naturally. Aim for a thousand pages, then stop when your story is finished for that book...not before. ^_^

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of July!!

Looks like my speech actually sparked an interesting conversation here... for once, haha xD
    Many good points thrown out there, but Sam... With the exception of a few writers (Roku, Ketsou, and the other veterans), there wasn't really that many great FFs (English wise) back in the days, and more over, there were very few writers compared to now. We had more readers... readers that eventually became writers (me included). If you look at the overall English these days (Uzu, Chakra, you, Fiona, Netsui, Reborn, and every other new writers that have popped up in the last year), you realize that it's better, above average, something it was not in the past. And you joined in 2012 Sam... how would you know how NB FFs looked like in late 2009 - early to mid 2010?? O__o

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got in my first car
    accident. ...**** me.

Novels normally have a word count of over 40,000. Anything between that and 17,500 is a novella, anything between that and 7,500 is a novelette, and anything below that is just a short story. A little helpful advice

Looks like my speech actually sparked an interesting conversation here... for once, haha xD
    Many good points thrown out there, but Sam... With the exception of a few writers (Roku, Ketsou, and the other veterans), there wasn't really that many great FFs (English wise) back in the days, and more over, there were very few writers compared to now. We had more readers... readers that eventually became writers (me included). If you look at the overall English these days (Uzu, Chakra, you, Fiona, Netsui, Reborn, and every other new writers that have popped up in the last year), you realize that it's better, above average, something it was not in the past. And you joined in 2012 Sam... how would you know how NB FFs looked like in late 2009 - early to mid 2010?? O__o
    Well, it's not too hard to go back and find the old posts, I wouldn't think

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Novels normally have a word count of over 40,000. Anything between that and 17,500 is a novella, anything between that and 7,500 is a novelette, and anything below that is just a short story. A little helpful advice

Well, it's not too hard to go back and find the old posts, I wouldn't think
    Haha, touche, but you had to be there to "feel" the FFs you know