Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wut

Do Any Of You Guys Have This Issue With Naruto?

Let's not lie to ourselves here; Naruto is considered a nerdy/geeky thing. Now I don't cosplay or any of that crap, but the act of reading Naruto alone is enough to make people call you a nerd.

At the risk of sounding vain, I'm in the "cool" group of kids at my school. We're all friends and play sports on the same teams and everything, but when they found out I read Batman, it was like a sh*tstorm. And Batman is ACCEPTED by many to be cool in today's society. Forbid I mentioned Naruto...

Does anyone else have this problem? My friends don't get all this comic and fantasy stuff, and I kind of have to dial it down around them to fit in better. And if girls found out? My social life would be over.

Maybe it's got something to do with intelligence... After all, I scored a 27 on my ACT while they all scored in the 18-23 range. Haha.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Black Crow Beckons

Re: Do Any Of You Guys Have This Issue With Naruto?

....... They are just ignorant, and any girl that would be so heavily influenced by such a harmless hobby is repulsive in my eyes ! Also you sound incredibly "vain".

Status
    Currently in Ancrath with Amaimon shishou
    Post Thanks / Like
    the 3 rules of flow - Go with
    the flow - Merge with the flow
    - Disrupt the flow -

i honestly didnt care what people thought .. if i like something i let people know... im 20 and i still like playing pokemon.. i dont care
    in fact half of your friends are probally like you and hiding things aswell and just trying to fit in..

what does it matter as long as u enjoy it ...

imo i dont think naruto is nerdy and who cares what other girls think.. u might find one day that u tell a girl u like naruto and she might like it aswell ..

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am like a robot. Mentally im
    so focused anything you say to
    me will not disrupt the
    masterpieces i create. I am
    shakespear in the flesh! I am
    the most impactful user of
    this generation.

Honestly my addiction to Naruto has gotten many people to read it, even the popular kids at my school know what Naruto at least looks like or played the games.

I literally got everyone in my year boy or girl to read it unintentionally.You shouldn't be ashamed of telling people that you like Naruto.

The "Nice-Guy" [Pose] AfricanProdigy's Avatar
    Status
    Feb 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Status.......or Do They?
    Suigetsu, Kakashi, Deidara,
    Nagato FTW

Kind of feel like how you are. I'm considered to be in the "cool" group of kids and I'm really popular at my school (due to me being the only African in my grade out of 3 who isn't messed up, a womanizer, etc. :D and people respect me for that) but I never find it a problem that I'm reading manga/anime unlike all of my friends. Do I think they would find it weird if they found out? Yes. But I could care less because as college is approaching, people don't become too judgmental. If people considered me a "nerd," as long as I have friends I don't really care because either way, my number one goal is to succeed in the classroom and when I go to college. So if I were you, I'd just get over that your friends don't accept what you watch/read and if they have a problem with it and start excluding you, find a new group of friends. It is the ones that are obssessed with cliques and overly judgmental that have a better chance of failing in life.

Konoha no Kiroi Senko YellowFang's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    King of Kamuiland

Me....
    But I just tell them to f*** off, I'll do whatever I like...

Senior Member muutobirama3rdraikagemizu's Avatar
    Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    SHISHUI IS UNDARRATED

i am a popular kid to and i rold my friends and they did not care

Status
    Apr 2013
    Post Thanks / Like

I know several people who read it in my school.

Never had that problem.

Banned
    Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually don't make
    predictions.

I go to university and people generally don't give a **** about what you're up to; secondly, I wouldn't give a damn about people calling me a geek. Look, I'm a coder that doesn't enjoy socializing. So who am I exactly? Correct. A geek.

And no, it has nothing to do with intelligence. That's just how the society works.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

i cant really relate.
    but i will tell you one thing though i hate people who think they are cool because they watch naruto or know more than others.
    if you can play basketball as good as aomine( from kuroko no basket) then i think you are cool.( obviously thats just mine defination of cool)

Status
    Feb 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the sky a mighty eagle
    doesn't care about what's
    illegal on its wings the
    rainbow's light it's flying to
    eternity

I am at a college with great friends who knows what i like; and they don't care it is just like watching walking dead or reading Lotr or something just an interest i also have only i few friends who are interested in manga and anime; but mostly not as much as me.

Seriously who gives a f**k? It is a great serie like many other mangas and comics; we are lucky to view it i never have problem with it and i never will.

Don't know about this "geeky" thing mate; but if someone wants to pick on an another individual or wants to bully; that prick would always find a s**ttie reason.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    An unforeseen situation… An
    unexpected turn of events…
    In the face of those, you too
    will face your true self.

hate saying this but im one of the most popular kids at my shool ... I literally know everyone etc. I publically display that i watch/read naruto All the time nothing changes of course my schools more of the gheto diverse minority school :P and if you go to a rich snobby private school the experience might be different

Op just do what you want i mean dont obsess over it but just say your read or watch it .. if they judge you for it there a bunch of ignorant ass holes who literally have nothing at all going for them in their lives ..

I'm a slave to pen and ink Animeniak's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pen is the tongue of the
    mind.

Not really, my friends and I like different things and we respect each other for it. They watch Naruto but won't go out of their way to read the manga or tune in everyday. It just so happens that I'm the only hard-core Naruto fan in my group of friends.

Status
    Jul 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I used to care what people thought about me, that got me no where. Now I don't give a crap what anyone (other than my parents) think about me and that made me much happier.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never let anyone stop you. Go
    full force with what you
    believe in! Shine like the
    star you are!

If you are truly going to base your life around a problem that soley rests within what you truly love at the extent of losing your so called 'friends', then I truly suggest that you find a new group of friends personally. People are entitled to love what they love, as this is your life. If you are afraid to admit that you love something, simply because of a few no-bodies who think they are 'cool' who say 'Oh, that's a loser thing' then I advise you to truly stop and think about that group of people who you call friends. Is being 'popular' and 'cool' really worth more than being able to talk about the things you love with the some of the closest people you can have in this life besides family? I don't really think so.

I say you need to leave behind what people say, as critiscizim and opininated-based thoughts are going to be around you your entire life. People are entitled to their own thoughts and views on things, so what makes your friend's opinion's any better than yours on the matter? Nothing. You should be able to be free to state what you like and don't like, not caring what other's think in the end . Growing up, I was well respected among my peers because of not being afraid to say what I love. Of course I also had other people disagree with me about my thoughts and things I deemed 'great' and 'cool', but it wasn't the end of the world ehen they did disagree. If you truly don't want to 'loose' any friends then by all means, keep what you love a secret, though eventually, you'll find that group of people who do love what you love and it will be your desicion in the end to hang out with them or not.

Girls? If a girl loves you she is going to love you for YOU and the things you love. When you find that special someone in life, they are going to except ALL of you and not a PART of you. If this girl calls you 'weird' for liking Naruto, then that is her personal opinion and it doesen't make her right in any way, shape or form. You just simply move on to whoever else will like you for who you are on the inside and not based on popularity of the true you you hide.

This is your life, and you can live it the way you want. However, just make sure the end result is with what 'you' want, and not what 'somebody else' wants.

Last edited by AnimeFanGirl4Eva; 05-11-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Black Crow Beckons

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeFanGirl4Eva View Post
    If you are truly going to base your life around a problem that soley rests within what you truly love at the extent of losing your so called 'friends', then I truly suggest that you find a new group of friends personally. People are entitled to love what they love, as this is your life. If you are afraid to admit that you love something, simply because of a few no-bodies who think they are 'cool' who say 'Oh, that's a loser thing' then I advise you to truly stop and think about that group of people who you call friends. Is being 'popular' and 'cool' really worth more than being able to talk about the things you love with the some of the closest people you can have in this life besides family? I don't really think so.

I say you need to leave behind what people say, as critiscizim and opininated-based thoughts are going to be around you your entire life. People are entitled to their own thoughts and views on things, so what makes your friend's opinion's any better than yours on the matter? Nothing. You should be able to be free to state what you like and don't like, not caring what other's think in the end . Growing up, I was well respected among my peers because of not being afraid to say what I love. Of course I also had other people disagree with me about my thoughts and things I deemed 'great' and 'cool', but it wasn't the end of the world ehen they did disagree. If you truly don't want to 'loose' any friends then by all means, keep what you love a secret, though eventually, you'll find that group of people who do love what you love and it will be your desicion in the end to hang out with them or not.

This is your life, and you can live it the way you want. However, just make sure the end result is with what 'you' want, and not what 'somebody else' wants.

Yeah ! Preach it, sister !

Status
    Dec 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I study Japanese at university, so there you're actually considered a bit weird if you don't read manga, but even then, they don't care what you read.

I have never cared for someone else's opinion on my hobbies. If I like reading Naruto, I read Naruto, regardless of what other people think of it. It's my life, they should mind their own damn business. It's not like I force other people to read it.

I have some friends who aren't into reading manga, but even they don't care that I read it. Why should they? I'm the one who reads manga and spends money on it, not them.

To be honest, if someone I considered a friend would make fun of my hobbies or even bully me about it or drop me as a friend because of them, then I'm better off without them. Friends should accept you like you are, not try to force you to change your hobbies or so just because it's not considered "cool".
    If they can't accept me like I am, then I'm better off without them.

Also what's the definition of a nerd? I always thought "nerd" referred to someone studying a lot and being very smart; not someone who reads manga. If reading manga is considered a nerd thing, then a lot of people are nerds.

Just read whatever you like - if some people drop you because you read Naruto, then they aren't worth it being your friends. They actually sound very shallow then, if they think that having a "cool" reputation is better than having a good friend.
    Plus they aren't really that cool then, if they are willing to drop a friend over something as reading a manga - but hey, that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Sasunarufan13; 05-11-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    「 πλοῦτος
    κράτος 」

A lot of my friends watch (only watch) it so I don't have anything to hide, but I sometimes do when meeting new people and stuff - I sometimes get ridiculed for it so..

Supreme Sifu of the Fists Strata Uchiha's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2011
    Learning Hado and Kido Spells under Blinkie Uchiha in Karakura Town.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be on the "Navy
    tub" for 9 long months. I
    shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Itachi View Post
    Let's not lie to ourselves here; Naruto is considered a nerdy/geeky thing. Now I don't cosplay or any of that crap, but the act of reading Naruto alone is enough to make people call you a nerd.

At the risk of sounding vain, I'm in the "cool" group of kids at my school. We're all friends and play sports on the same teams and everything, but when they found out I read Batman, it was like a sh*tstorm. And Batman is ACCEPTED by many to be cool in today's society. Forbid I mentioned Naruto...

Does anyone else have this problem? My friends don't get all this comic and fantasy stuff, and I kind of have to dial it down around them to fit in better. And if girls found out? My social life would be over.

Maybe it's got something to do with intelligence... After all, I scored a 27 on my ACT while they all scored in the 18-23 range. Haha.
    Coors Light

Cold

Hard

Facts

- Typical valley girls don't like things like Naruto. Naturally. Also, you should be really bold and confess all the geeky things you do. If they think you're really lame afterward then they aren't your true friends.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Studying for Finals...

I don't see how reading manga is any different from reading a regular comic.

Status
    Mar 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Against All Authority

. Tough life heh?