Status
    Jan 2013
    Kamui snipe GG

Is the "Child of the Prophecy" too much?

I love Naruto, and I'm good with all of his develeopment up until this point.

Except for one thing; The prophecy! I think that's ridiculous. Kishi didn't have to make Naruto the Chosen One or the Savior or anything (They would be sacreligous to me), and it really ruins everything he's acheived. I preferred it when Naruto was a hard working shinobi that was going to save the world; not a hard working shinobi that was DESTINED to save the world.

I don't know. Little pet peeve with his character.

Status
    Terra Formars

Re: Is the "Child of the Prophecy" too much?

prophecy just one possible way to naruto... naruto choice his destiny anyway

Status
    Mar 2012
    cold

I agree his staple was being a hardworking ninja that preservered the golden child prophecy crap should have not been included in the story imo

Senior Member 9tailsJinchuuriki's Avatar
    Status
    Aug 2012
    This user has no status.

Come on... In the end all hero's are destined for greatness. A Prophecy is just a "prediction"... Even if in other anime or manga, no one prophecized something about the main character, they are still destined for something.

ALL HAIL FIRELORD ZUKO BISHOPALONE's Avatar
    Status
    Jul 2012
    YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Still, he never knew of the prophesy when he was working hard and growing.
    Prophesy or not, he worked hard and saved the world.

Banned
    Status
    Feb 2013
    I broke the rules, got banned.
    Please don't make the same
    mistake as me, follow the
    rules.

The prophecy doesn't actually mean much for Naruto the character. I don't quite know why Kishi put it in there, it's not like it changes much in the grand scheme of his series.

The only thing I can think of is that we are missing some pieces. Let's just wait and get an explanation (a more thorough one) from that weird sage frog. I still find it sketchy that some old frog can see the future.

Status
    Aug 2012
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOPALONE View Post
    Still, he never knew of the prophesy when he was working hard and growing.
    Prophesy or not, he worked hard and saved the world.
    Yeah, people seem to forget all of his efforts just because of some prophecy.

Status
    Feb 2013
    In the sky a mighty eagle
    doesn't care about what's
    illegal on its wings the
    rainbow's light it's flying to
    eternity

Yeah; he had some efforts; but that does not change the fact that he was someone destined, choosen whatever you call to become the savior of the world.

Of course the actions he took effected him; everybody effects their future with their own acts.

But here is the main problem: Even before the birth; he was destined to be someone who will be important no matter what; he was the choosen one, out of thousands of people who born; he was the one and only, special "child of prophecy" something another individual can never achive or could never be with effort. He was considered as a "loser"; but he was in fact something very special; he did nothing to be child of prophecy(not that anyone can do something about it), he did not worked for the importance or speciality the child of prophecy would bring to him.

His overall characteristics is not effecting by it(though he had/has a somewhat God complex not related to it; but he is hopefully getting through it), but what his character represents and the messages the series are giving is getting effected.

Status
    Aug 2012
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by caterpillar View Post
    Yeah; he had some efforts; but that does not change the fact that he was someone destined, choosen whatever you call to become the savior of the world.

Of course the actions he took effected him; everybody effects their future with their own acts.

But here is the main problem: Even before the birth; he was destined to be someone who will be important no matter what; he was the choosen one, out of thousands of people who born; he was the one and only, special "child of prophecy" something another individual can never achive or could never be with effort. He was considered as a "loser"; but he was in fact something very special; he did nothing to be child of prophecy(not that anyone can do something about it), he did not worked for the importance or speciality the child of prophecy would bring to him.

His overall characteristics is not effecting by it(though he had/has a somewhat God complex not related to it; but he is hopefully getting through it), but what his character represents and the messages the series are giving is getting effected.

Let's see...

One can choose your own destiny:

He did choose his own destiny, that's why he is on the path he is. If he had chosen differently, he wouldn't have been the chosen one. Nagato would've been the chosen one and ended up destroying the world. It's because he never gave up that's why he became who he is.

He worked hard to be where he is now. Also, he didn't come this far without his friends.

The messages he represents isn't effected as you think.

Last edited by 9tailsJinchuuriki; 05-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Status
    Feb 2013
    In the sky a mighty eagle
    doesn't care about what's
    illegal on its wings the
    rainbow's light it's flying to
    eternity

Quote Originally Posted by 9tailsJinchuuriki View Post
    Let's see...

One can choose your own destiny:

He did choose his own destiny, that's why he is on the path he is. If he had chosen differently, he wouldn't have been the chosen one. Nagato would've been the chosen one and ended up destroying the world. It's because he never gave up that's why he became who he is.

He worked hard to be where he is now. Also, he didn't come this far without his friends.

The messages he represents isn't effected as you think.
    Still; there was a Toad who stated the fact that Naruto is indeed important even before his birth.
    He would not come this far without some work and support; but the prophecy thing is overall annoying; it was not really god to place it in the plot; it is a common concept and a non-creatve one.(Is it even have an aim?)
    I already stated that his characteristics is not getting effected; Naruto is our Naruto as always; but it really conflicts with the "underdog" concept.
    "Naruto Uzumaki" should have stayed as "Naruto Uzumaki" himself; not "child of prophecy"; it is something which differs him from every single individual; and it is something that had happened out of his will; Naruto of course effects his own life; but still there was a prophecy saying "there is this thing who will be the savior..." about him.

Status
    「 πλοῦτος
    κράτος 」

Yeah it kinda killed the character for me. This hard worker, before he was born was ordained to make change so all the Hardwork seems less powerful and influential since he will win either way.