View Poll Results: Which of these Shinobi War fillers did you enjoy watching?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The White Zetsu’s Trap

6 31.58%
  • The Artist’s Aesthetics

5 26.32%
  • Allied Mom Forces!!

1 5.26%
  • The Seven Swordsmen Arc (please specify)

6 31.58%
  • Scorch Style User! Pakura of the Hidden Sand

6 31.58%
  • Tsunade’s First Meeting With Ay Arc

3 15.79%
  • Chikara Power Arc

11 57.89%
  • Sound Four Arc

3 15.79%
  • The Heart’s Eye

3 15.79%
  • Hayate & Yugao Arc

3 15.79%
  • Tatewaki Arc

3 15.79%
  • The Old Man and the Dragon’s Eye

1 5.26%
  • Yota Arc

1 5.26%
  • The Reanimated Allied Forces

7 36.84%
  • Shino vs. Torune!!

5 26.32%
  • A Hole in the Heart - The Other Jinchuriki

4 21.05%
  • The Soul That Dwells Within a Puppet

7 36.84%
  • Run, Omoi!

1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Status
    Mar 2013
    Eating ramen with Naruto, Minato & Kushina at Ichiraku
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaving NB as my life in
    general is becoming a lot
    busier (especially uni T_T). I
    will miss the good and bad of
    NB for sure. So to everyone
    (including my haters), I wish
    you all live a happy life.
    Farewell! :)

Fillers of the Shinobi War Arc – Your thoughts?

Well the last episode was the last filler. Canon will be back starting on the 18th of July! As for now, there is a one-week break so that means no episode will be released this week Anyway, this Shinobi War arc first started on the 10th of May with the release of Episode 262 “War Begins”. There have been countless fillers ever since that episode was released, and below is a list of all the war fillers and my short review on each one of them.

279 – (The White Zetsu’s Trap)
    5/5
    Great episode! This filler is about Team 8 (Hinata, Kiba & Shino) investigating a cave where they have encountered numerous clones of White Zetsu. During their struggle with White Zetsu, the cave collapsed due to an explosion and this isolated the members of the team. When Team 8 united, there is a feeling of suspicion and mistrust within the team because one of its members killed two Allied Force ninja that were sent to the cave for assistance – that is, one of them is a transformed White Zetsu. I thought this made the filler very suspenseful as it was quite fun for us viewers to try and guess which member of Team 8 was White Zetsu (well it was fun for me at least). It turns out in the end my guess was correct!! (I’m not going to tell you who the fake one was because some of you may have not watched this episode yet). I recommend anyone who is a fan of Hinata, Kiba or/and Shino to watch this filler if they haven’t watched it yet. The ending was bloody hilarious when everyone realised their secrets (that only Yamato knows) no longer remained secrets!

280 – (The Artist’s Aesthetics)
    5/5
    Another great episode! If you are an Akatsuki or a Deidara fan, then you must watch this filler if you haven’t done so already! Basically the episode is about Deidara escaping from one of Kankuro’s puppets with the help of White Zetsu. After freeing himself from the puppet that restrained him, Deidara is forced to flee as he is out of detonating clay, while Mifune’s company is chasing and trying to capture him again. This episode was actually very funny because it further highlights Deidara’s crazy obsession with art (and with Sasuke lol). There were some great fighting scenes as well which is always good to see, especially when it involves Deidara, an Akatsuki member, who we didn’t get to see alot in the war after he was easily captured and immobilised by Sai and Kankuro.

281 – Allied Mom Forces!!
    2/5
    Well this war filler is my least favourite one as I thought it was a lame episode. It is about Konohamaru receiving intel from children about strange monsters and ninja lurking in the forests that surrounded the perimeter of the Leaf Village. They informed Ebisu and the mothers of the Allied Mom Force the possibility of an attack on Konoha by these so called “giant ninja”, but the children were just exaggerating. However, in the end the village was under attack by a group of sumo wrestlers in which the mothers and Konohamaru manage to defend and scare them away. I was generous to give this filler some points since it was quite humorous to see the children acting so dim-witted. Though, I definitely wouldn’t watch this episode again.

284, 288 & 289 – The Seven Swordsmen Arc (Helmet Splitter: Jinin Akebino!; Danger: Jinpachi and Kushimaru and Lightning Blade: Ameyuri Ringo)
    4.5/5
    Episode 284 “Helmet Splitter: Jinin Akebino!” was a filler made particularly for Sai fans to enjoy. This episode showed flashbacks of Sai’s past when Danzo asked him to learn a sealing technique which requires him to gain control over his emotions. With the help of his friends, he was able to achieve this, thus allowing him to use the sealing technique to its maximum effect. The filler was a much-needed one for Sai’s character development, plus it had some good fighting scenes too which was great (it was pretty awesome seeing the helmet splitter sword in action)!

Filler 288 “Danger: Jinpachi and Kushimaru” was about a fight between Kakashi & Gai and two swordsmen of the Mist, Jinpachi & Kushimaru. I enjoyed the fighting scenes alot - I thought the Stitching Spider Jutsu was pretty boss! The flashback was okay – it was nice to see Rin again. However, did you people realise the animators tried to trick the audience that “Ran” was “Rin” lol? They had similar names, similar appearances (their face & hairstyle looked very identical to one another), and to top it off the last scene involved a change in close-up shot from Rin’s face (flashback) to Ran’s face (real situation). Nice try animators. You didn’t fool me

Finally we have Episode 289 “Lightning Blade: Ameyuri Ringo” which is another great filler. After Yurui’s death, Nurui became the new leader of the unit and commands his team to run away from Ameyuri Ringo because she is too strong. Omoi is the only one who rejected this call and soon after he is involved in a fight with Ameyuri. The lightning moves she used with her Fangs were pretty cool and it was good to see more of Omoi’s swordsmanship skills. The ending was quite shocking – I didn’t suspect the plan was to sink Ameyuri in a bottomless marsh and I still can’t believe she had a change in heart. Overall it was a good and funny filler – I can’t stop laughing at Omoi’s thoughts of circling the world!

285 – Scorch Style User! Pakura of the Hidden Sand
    5/5
    This is my FAVOURITE filler! We got to witness the horrible past of when the Sand used, tricked and sacrificed Pakura as part of a bargaining deal with the Mist. Pakura, after being reanimated back to the real world, plans to use her frustration and the grudge that festers deep inside in her heart to destroy the Hidden Mist despite the Mist’s history of blood and treachery is long gone. The episode was not only focused on the emotional side of characters, but it also showed how fearful Pakura’s abilities are, particularly her scorch style which is one amazing and deadly Kekkei Genkai. The fighting scenes in this episode were EPIC! I love the jutsu Captain Monga used on Gari. The one where he planted some explosive tags on a wall and created & pushed another wall towards the original wall to trigger the explosion - that was awesome! The final fighting scene was awesome too. We got to see Maki, Ruka, Zaji and Omoi all working well together and putting up an incredible fight against Pakura! In general, I would say it is a must-watch episode for everyone.

286-287 – Tsunade’s First Meeting With Ay Arc (Things You Can't Get Back and One Worth Betting On)
    3/5
    Tsunade fans will like this arc! I found the first episode “Things You Can't Get Back” to be very funny, e.g. what was Ay thinking when he waited outside all night expecting Tsunade to come? He even remained and stood outside when it started raining! It was only when the sun came out when he finally realises she had lie to him Anyway the best part about this episode was the arm-wrestling battle between Ay and Tsunade. I was certain that Tsunade was going to win the bet, but the way it ended was very intriguing and I guess speed does have its advantages over strength (well duhh Mr Obvious lol). Finally, I thought the Nokizaru Troop that we saw a glimpse of in this episode was a cool group of ninja – they have such dangerous bugs!

The final episode of this arc, “One Worth Betting On”, was a letdown. I was expecting more from the Nokizaru Troops since they appeared in the episode, but in the end they became scared and ran off again. This filler was primarily about Tsunade/Shizune trying to remove the bug-shaped lump on Karai’s chest. However, I did like the part where Shizune told Ay off!

290-295 – Chikara Power Arc
    3.5/5
    This arc possibly had the two most awesome non-canon fights ever – Kabuto, Deidara & Hidan vs Kakashi & Shiseru’s Team and Lee & Gai vs Four Tails Clone. Those two fights were simply stunning, not to mention the entire arc was beautifully animated. The story about Dokku, Mina, etc... were lovely to watch but I thought the animators went a bit too far on it. It was nice to see a little background of Kabuto’s work on Edo Tensei. Minato’s appearance in this episode didn’t make sense at all because his chakra should have had completely disappeared during the Pain incident, but it was great seeing him again. Naruto’s incomplete Kyuubi Mode & Tail Beast Mode was entertaining to watch but yet again I thought it was weird that he could use these modes out of nowhere. I also thought it was odd that a little girl could stop the Nine Tail’s transformation. Though, at least the love story between Dokku and Shiseru was good lol.

303-305 – Sound Four Arc (Ghosts of the Past; The Underworld Transfer Jutsu; and The Vengeful)
    3.5/5
    This was a great arc because we got to see more of Neji, Kiba, Choji and Shikamaru and the Sound Four again! I found the Underworld Transfer Jutsu to be quite interesting. There were some pretty awesome fighting scenes throughout this arc, but there was also a bit too much talking this time. I love seeing the four boys fighting together and I thought they all cooperated effectively as a team! It was wonderful to see Shikamaru using his intelligence to create mind-blowing strategies that gave his friends the upper hand over his enemy. It was also funny seeing Shikamaru provoking the enemy and there were logical reasons in why he did so. The ending of this arc was terrible. I mean, it was nice to see Naruto arriving and helping his friends, but the Rasengan he used to deliver the final blow went off-panel and all we saw after was just a big blast that apparently made the Sound Four vanish.

306 – (The Heart’s Eye)
    5/5
    This was a filler for Hyuga fans! It was about Neji trying to find a flower that could cure Hinata’s damaged eyes after she had overused them during a training session with him. He wanted Hinata to not miss out a firework display, which just conveys his benevolent personality. The episode once again illustrated Neji's changing perspective of destiny - how he thought everything was decided before birth but then realised you can change fate "with your own hands". There were plenty of funny parts in this filler, such as the red string that tied Sakura and Naruto together. Too bad Neji chopped it off lol, to remind Naruto that love is something to be achieved, not something that was dependent on fate (Naruto was actually the person who changed Neji’s view of destiny). It was an episode that made me want to watch the old Naruto again!

307-308 – Hayate & Yugao Arc (Fade into the Moonlight and Crescent Moon Light)
    4/5
    Finally an arc that had romance in it, lol. In Episode 307 “Fade into the Moonlight”, Kabuto reincarnates Hayate and two shinobi to form a team whose mission was to steal the KIA scroll. The battle these two reanimated shinobi had with the Alliance shinobi (inside the medical division’s camp) was quite good. However, there was a scene I dislike where the Alliance shinobi literally allowed the enemy to kill them to – they weren’t doing anything while the enemy was active. I didn’t mind the flashbacks in this episode that showed the events leading up to Hayate’s death and I enjoyed the extended fight between Hayate and Baki alot.
    The final episode of this arc was Episode 308 “Crescent Moon Light”. Again, it had some entertaining fights but I thought the enemy was sealed too easily. The flashbacks, this time, highlighted the love between Yugao and Hayate. It also conveyed the degree of Yugao’s emotional battle with herself as she couldn’t pick up her sword anymore, due to the death of her lover which she has found extremely painful to cope with. However in the end, Yugao managed to find her fighting style again with the help of her comrades. Overall it was a very nice arc!

309-310 – Tatewaki Arc (An A-Rank Mission: The Contest and The Castle Falls)
    4/5
    The first episode of this arc, “An A-Rank Mission: The Contest”, was about a food contest that Choji and Naruto had entered. I thought it was lame they had to be in second place just to win a large wicker basket so that they can hide Lord Shu in it. Though, the food contest itself was hilarious. I can’t believe Naruto resisted that ramen There was also a conversation between the Akatsuki members in this filler, which is always great to see. Like always, it was funny seeing Hidan acting so hot-headed and we also saw Akatsuki in the next episode as well. The fight between Sasori and Tatewaki was compelling but I didn’t like the way it ended – Tatewaki was making one last move but we didn’t get to see what actually happened Tatewaki is easily one of my favourite filler characters - I admired his wise character and the remarkable swordsmanship skills he displayed.

312 – (The Old Man and the Dragon’s Eye)
    2.5/5
    I didn’t like this filler. It had potential to be amazing, but the animators didn’t make the most out of it. It was quite weird to see Gai (who is arguably the best taijutsu ninja out there) losing ground to Chen, an old man who is also skilled in taijutsu. I love the Leaf Dragon God technique that Chen used, but I can’t believe that Lee didn’t get to learn this move in the end as it would have been a great character development for him. I was also expecting more war action from this episode, like an all-out taijutsu battle between Lee and Chen with Lee opening the gates or something. I thought the One-Man Primary Lotus taijutsu he used to counter Chen’s Leaf Dragon God taijutsu wasn’t that spectacular. Though, I did find Chen’s background story about his student quite interesting.

313-315 – Yota Arc (Rain Followed by Snow, with Some Lightning; The Sad Sun Shower; and Lingering Snow)
    3.5/5
    I know alot of people hate this arc because they didn’t like hearing Yota constantly crying, but I actually enjoyed the arc quite alot because I thought it was nice seeing those flashbacks of when everyone was young and cute. We once again witnessed Naruto’s childhood of despair and loneliness, but it was good to see him joyfully playing with everyone before their memories of Yota were erased. The Yota story was interesting – I never expected him to be used as a test subject for the Edo Tensei (even though the snake we saw in the second episode showed a clear link between him and Orochimaru). I found the ending to be quite touching and I liked the part where Yota said “Now this time, don’t forget me” – that was heart-warming. Though, I believed the animators have stretched this arc too far as it all could have been neatly done in two episodes. There were also some moments that I found odd, e.g. when Shikamaru and Yota made a fool out of the ANBU squad. Like how was that possible?

316 – The Reanimated Allied Forces
    4.5/5
    Temari fans will like this episode. There was a funny conservation between Temari and Edo Daimaru, e.g. when Temari was talking about how sad she was when Daimaru died, Daimaru asked her “Did you cry for me?” and next minute, he was sealed . Not to mention, Temari was involved in a couple of fighting scenes and it was astonishing to see her use the Blade Dance Jutsu. Anyway, the flashbacks in this episode were great. It was pleasant to see Sasuke making an unexpected appearance. And it was also nice to see Kabuto’s past and his explanation of the Edo Tensei failures he had experienced – how he tried to get DNA samples from strong, famous shinobi yet a different shinobi was reanimated (it was difficult for him to identify who he was dealing with when grave robbing). At least Kabuto put them to good use – I had my hopes up when I thought they were going to undo the seal on the Third Raikage’s reanimated body, but Temari saved the day lol. I thought it was silly that they didn’t take the Raikage’s body after they had sealed him – it would have saved them alot of trouble. Overall it was a fun episode.

317 – Shino vs. Torune!!
    4.5/5
    YEAH! Thanks to this filler, we finally got to see Torune’s personality and abilities! I absolutely love the flashbacks in this episode. I can’t believe Torune was very generous in allowing Shino to attend the Academy so that he could make friends. Torune wanted Danzo to choose him as the next Aburame member of the Root, not Shino - that was such a nice thing to do. Anyway, the venomous beetles he had were fearsome, particularly the moves he could use with his bugs such as the Jar of Poison Jutsu and the Poison Cloud Jutsu which were great to see! His lethal bugs were the reason why he couldn’t join the Academy and had to wear gloves at all times. I enjoy the scene where Torune first met Fukai – I thought it was cute seeing the two kids spar and then accepting each other as partners. There were some hysterical scenes, e.g. the scene where Torune asked Shino if he knew where Foo was, when in fact Torune was Foo However, there were some weird moments too, e.g. Shino allowing Torune to kick him during their fight. But nevertheless, this episode was amazing!

318 – (A Hole in the Heart - The Other Jinchuriki)
    4.5/5
    A nice filler focused on Ay’s cousin, Fukai, who was the previous Jinchuriki of the Hachibi. This filler showed how he died and the moments leading up to his death. I was very surprise to see Edo Fukai with the Hachibi’s chakra and to be honest, I laughed quite hard when White Zetsu said Kabuto should had seal the chakra in the Gedo Statue instead of using it for his own sake to fight Bee. Like always, it was nice to see Orochimaru conducting experiments but unfortunately Kabuto didn’t capitalise his work since Fukai disappeared so fast. However, this filler once again conveys why Orochimaru is regarded as one of the best villains in the series. He was the one who released the Eight Tails from Fukai’s body, killing Fukai, placed the Hachibi into a genjutsu and manipulated him to go on a rampage in the Hidden Cloud – he did all of this just to collect samples from the Hachibi’s horn. The fighting scenes between Bee and Edo Fukai were amusing, but the animation was a disappointment.

319 – (The Soul That Dwells Within a Puppet)
    5/5
    This filler was majorly flashbacks of Sasori’s childhood. That is enough to give a 5/5 LOL. But seriously the flashbacks were lovely. They highlighted the extent of the suffering Sasori has gone through with the loss of his parents and his best friend. Sadly, Chiyo didn’t have enough confidence to be at his side when he was facing that hardship and as a result this placed her in a position of remorse. However, all was forgotten when Kankuro told Chiyo the love that she gave to Sasori’s father and mother puppets (the very two puppets where Sasori’s soul dwells in) became a part of their souls. This cohesion was also depicted in the flashback where Sasori and his parents wanted her to be included in their photo. All puppet-fans must watch this episode if they haven’t done so already! The mini-fight between Kankuro and Chiyo was entertaining, not to mention the ending as well – it was hilarious to see Chiyo playing possum and teaching Kankuro her puppetry techniques in style!

320 – Run, Omoi!
    4/5
    The beginning of this episode wasn’t that exciting, but things became exhilarating once the 8-minute mark had passed. There was plenty of action in this filler – again it was nice to see Omoi's swordsmanship skills but this time, we also got to witness his crazy lightning moves. Not to mention, we once more saw Naruto's Rasengan Barrage which was amazing! This filler was one of the funniest one I have seen. Is there anyone out there who thinks Omoi cannot be any funnier? His way of thinking is always hilarious, as demonstrated earlier in Episode 289. I laughed so hard when Omoi attacked Naruto's clone, right after he said "With him here... We can take care of these guys" There were some peculiar moments, e.g. when Omoi breathed oxygen using those bubbles. Nevertheless, it was a pretty good episode.

Note: I skipped a few fillers because they didn’t relate to the war in any way e.g. episode 311 “Prologue of Road to Ninja” was just created to promote the movie RtN. I apologise if I have missed any war-related fillers, and please also note that these ratings/comments are just my perspectives (that may change over time) and you may strongly disagree with them, particularly if you’re usually/always a filler-hater.

Conclusion: Most of the Shinobi War fillers are awesome and it has been great fun to watch them, so I thank the animators for making such amazing fillers. These episodes gave much more screen time to the characters we didn’t see alot in the manga and this gives something for fans of Sai, Omoi, Deidara, Sasori, Temari etc... to cheer on. The fillers also gave us a ‘war feeling’ of what war was truly like – something I think Kishi hasn’t delivered well in his manga. However saying that, I think the animators should have added more blood effects. In many occasions, you see shinobi dying from being hit by a kunai (or another weapon e.g. shuriken) but it appears that wasn’t the case because they seem to have not suffered from any signs of physical wounds or external bleeding. That is very unrealistic and is not a good portrayal of what real war is like (even though this is just an anime). Also, there were some episodes that had a bit too much talking and I thought there were a few reanimated shinobi who were sealed too easily. But still, most of the Shinobi War fillers were wonderful to watch!

Now that I am done, may I ask you which of the war fillers above did you enjoy watching? I will create a poll soon... and my vote will go to the episodes that I have rated 3.5+/5. I want honest answers please. Also, please tell me which one is your favourite filler. Mine is definitely the Pakura filler!

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Fillers of the Shinobi War Arc – Your thoughts?

shino vs torune

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm coagulating..

Pakura, Sasori, Deidara, and Swordmen eps were the best

Status
    Apr 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything's a joke.

Glad to see that there is someone who appreciates fillers.
    The best filler in my opinion was "the soul that dwells within a puppet". Loved the flashbacks and how they gave more depth to sasori's story . Specially the part when his friend's mom was begging sasori.
    Coudn't they have done more fillers like this .
    Used edos for battle or expanded the story of akatsuki .

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bound by a Code

The reanimate alliance
    I couldn't stop laughing through out
    And it kind of ease my tension about the war

Status
    Jun 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    LogicBase

Really liked swordsmen ep and the last one too

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love to dream, but I never
    try to dream and think at the
    same time.

Something I actually, truly enjoyed watching?

Shino vs Torune, or rather, Fu appearing for a couple seconds (not counting the made-up flashback that I have some issues with).

Generally I liked the action in this filler arc, but most of the time I didn't really care. Also, the last few episodes gave me a few laughs. So I say, it was an okay arc, not awesome but not that bad, either.

Status
    May 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have no time nor will for
    commenting or replying, too
    busy with school, competitions
    and life. Go away.

I liked ''Scorch Style User! Pakura of the Hidden Sand'', ''Tsunade’s First Meeting With Ay Arc'', ''Chikara Power Arc'', ''Reanimated Allied Forces'', ''The Soul That Dwells Within a Puppet''.
    This War Filler Arc was great!

Status
    Jun 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mind what people do, not only
    what they say, for deeds will
    betray a lie

I liked the Pakura of the hidden sand and swordsman of the mist episodes, I already thought it was a shame they didn't get more credit in the original story line, so that made up for it ^^

I also liked soul that dwells within a puppet, because other thazn Sasori being sad about his parents, we don't know much about his previous life and I liked to see how he came to making human puppets

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Alot of them, the only one I felt awkward watching was the first episode with Yota with him constantly crying. The best ones for me were the swordsmen ones and the last 3 or 4 we had now. Especially the one with the previous hachibi jinchuriki was one I loved.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delivering Divine Justice

I missed the first seven so no idea. I liked the mini sound 4 arc until Naruto swooped in and saved the day with one big attack.

Status
    Mar 2013
    Eating ramen with Naruto, Minato & Kushina at Ichiraku
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaving NB as my life in
    general is becoming a lot
    busier (especially uni T_T). I
    will miss the good and bad of
    NB for sure. So to everyone
    (including my haters), I wish
    you all live a happy life.
    Farewell! :)

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Alot of them, the only one I felt awkward watching was the first episode with Yota with him constantly crying.
    To be honest, I was quite annoyed hearing Yota's cry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi Edo View Post
    I missed the first seven so no idea.
    You're missing out some great fillers

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delivering Divine Justice

Quote Originally Posted by PTran5 View Post
    To be honest, I was quite annoyed hearing Yota's cry as well.

You're missing out some great fillers
    I started back watching when Itachi showed up again, but I kept reading about the Power arc and figured I'd check everything out. Last filler I enjoyed before this was Sora and Asuma's arc