View Poll Results: Best FF

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael92

    14 26.92%
  • Hikari Uchiha Senju

    3 5.77%
  • DrProof

    1 1.92%
  • serenaandrosie

    3 5.77%
  • M3U

    5 9.62%
  • Escorpiius

    8 15.38%
  • Lili-Chwan

    6 11.54%
  • Germanicus and Uzumaki16.

    4 7.69%
  • -Yami-

    1 1.92%
  • Reborn

    7 13.46%
Page 3 of 17 « First 123456713 ... Last»
Results 51 to 75 of 403
  1. #51
    Rikudo Sennin ~Uzumaki~'s Avatar
    Status
    ~Uzumaki~ is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    6,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Lord is my light and my
    salvation; whom shall I fear?
    the Lord is the strength of my
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    I have a question. Now we writers love criticism and we expect it from ourselves. But how do we know that we are worthy to criticize another person's work? How do we know that what we think is the right way is right? I mean, apart from the obvious 'you need to check your spellings' and 'you need to keep your tenses consistent' and 'your sentences are too long/short' or maybe 'you don't describe well enough or you describe too much'

    We've heard of writers whose work were rejected by some and yet they are some of the greatest names in literature today. Did you know that Tarzan was called a racist plot which was also against feminism? And yet today, Tarzan is like...

    What makes something good and what makes it bad? O_o
     
         

  2. #52
    Senior Member Chakra Wizard's Avatar
    Status
    Chakra Wizard is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    not a chance
    Posts
    7,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to make my dream of
    getting published a reality.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    I have a question. Now we writers love criticism and we expect it from ourselves. But how do we know that we are worthy to criticize another person's work? How do we know that what we think is the right way is right? I mean, apart from the obvious 'you need to check your spellings' and 'you need to keep your tenses consistent' and 'your sentences are too long/short' or maybe 'you don't describe well enough or you describe too much'

    We've heard of writers whose work were rejected by some and yet they are some of the greatest names in literature today. Did you know that Tarzan was called a racist plot which was also against feminism? And yet today, Tarzan is like...

    What makes something good and what makes it bad? O_o
    It's all those basic elements that make a story great, man. Normally, if a work written that well is turned down, it's because of controversy, like with your example of Tarzan, or because they don't believe it would sell well. Other than that, no publisher's gonna reject a story that's written extremely well, has a great plot, characters and charater development, themes, etc.. It'd be stupid not to publish it then.
     
         

  3. #53
    Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Michael92 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Legendary Sage of Konoha's
    Series Finale - A great war in
    nearly here.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    I hate to agree with the fact that the ff contest is based on popularity, but...it's kind of obvious. Most people that vote don't even read all of the submissions. So many months where I barely see any more.views on chapters despite being entered in a contest in which at least twenty people voted. It's disappointing, but it's true. Can't make people read and judge with no bias, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    See, I'm at the point now where I'm not sure whether the occasional slight increases in a chapter's views are from other people reading it or just me checking up on them. It's honestly quite depressing, cause that means that I could have a chapter with over fifty views, but only ten people have actually clicked on the link
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    I feel your pain. It makes me think my stories aren't compelling. Which is a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Guess that would explain why you quit writing here. For me, though, so long as I get feedback from you guys, as in the other ASPIRING writers on the base, I can deal with the low publicity
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Look at how long ago those were. To be quite frank, a lot of the times it feels as though it comes down to popularity since people's attention span and general lack care enough to actually give consideration to stories prevents them from reading most, if at all any, of the submissions other than the ones from people they know. Often times people may not even do that. If you go to a lot of Fanfiction posts, they're the generic "good job" posts. Very few people give an actual opinion that means something. I'll go and read chapters that has bad grammar, incoherence, clichés, and other areas are in need of critic (sometimes very heavy) and yet people will: either not mention it or sugar coat it with a light little "there were a few grammatical mistakes but overall good job". Some writers may not care for whatever reason but it gets annoying.

    I went off on a tangent. But the main point of this post is: Strong is the possibility that a lot of voting is based on popularity and that is what my based prediction is on and not so much the actual writing prowess. I guess everything was rather evidence more or less. People will tend to vote for their friends aside from select few (mainly the writers...or at least I'm hoping the writers have that type of respect enough) who will actually judge a contest and vote. Since I've been away for a while, newer people may not recognize me. OR the people who vote arent' really within the community, they are people who read what their Friends put out. I post my chapters and rarely link. Before you didn't need to, however unless you do some sort of advertisement, you'll get no second glance. As I've been away, the reason I'm not as much of a top runner as anybody else is just that.
    Long time indeed my friend, I guess we finally can call you a FF veteran ;D

    I understand your points, and I suppose most of those people only either have their minds made up in front (which probably happens a lot, and which is a bit sad - even though I myself, fall under this category this month ), or they just click on each of the initial threads of the contestants and judge it by reading the first paragraph, the name of the work/chapter, the style, and whether it's original or a FF, just because they can't bother to read through 3 x 10 chapters to do an actual thought on who and what was the best. I guess that might be the only problem increasing contestants, because it literally ends up becoming too much for people to read... We already have 8-10 as a standard, and if Sara extends it to 15, we'll have 3 x 15 = 45 chapters to read each month!! I mean, I doubt many can take a knife to the heart and honestly say they read through all 45 chapters carefully, and made up their mind on who's FF was the best?? In fact, to be honest, I don't think I've had time to read through all of the chapters in a contest since 09/10, because I honestly don't have time to read through 30 chapters, especially when I know there are people like Roku, Escorpiius and myself, who like to write big ass chapters. So usually when I actually check all submissions out one month to vote, I usually read through one of the three chapters they've posted, take a quick look at the rest, and then make up my mind. It often comes down to grammar and structure instead of story and creativity because of it.

    And yeah, that is a problem too. And the answer is simple... It's either because the "reader" quite frankly don't care, only looking to increase his/her posts, giving the writer a pat on his back and say well done (as a confidence boost), regardless of if it's good or not, or, it's because the person itself is not the type to post longer posts, giving major ass reviews. Of all my readers, I think I have like three who gives long and detailed critical reviews (Escorpiius, Kuroi and Kyon), then I have people like Flash, Marhuto and Danivass, who like to write shorter reviews, only talking about what happened in the chapter and what they liked/didn't like, and then I have some other readers who only post things like "another great chapter my friend, keep going, etc." The last ones does not really annoy me though, because the other readers make up for it. What I do find odd though, is the random posts/reviews i get from time to time from people I've never heard or seen before, who only leaves posts like "Cool chapter," etc xD

    And another thing, popularity is unfortunately often involved for sure, or Germanicus should have won every single month he joined in for sure (I mean, just look at him), and the same can be said about many other writers too. Some get the recognition they deserve, others' don't, it's just like that, and it has always been, and perhaps always will be.
    "Popularity" can be a term based on more than a single fact though, as you have things like; The name of the writer (as in, how well known it is on the Base), the name of his/her FF, number of awards (I fear this might play in from time to time when people see someone with a lot of awards, they think they do justice by "auto" voting for them, like, if they have this many awards, they must be good and deserve to win), the user's "state" on the Base (Sensei, Modship, etc) <--- I'm not saying this might be a factor personally, but I've seen someone raise that question into a debate in the September month I refereed you to above in my last post, where an argument broke out between the contestants after someone (not naming) accused Pervy Sage of getting votes, just because he was a sensei, and he retorted back that it was against the rules to dis down on other contestants like that, that he could get DQF for it, and then some started attacking the people without proper Grammar and Punctuations, claiming that they should get DQF from the contest if every rule was to be followed completely, it was crazy for sure xD

    But now I'm side-tracking, my point is that not everything is fair, and neither will it ever be. This is one of the many, many, many reasons to why I immediately voted for Escorpiius, as not only is he a great writer, but he deserves to win this contest, not only because of his new work, but because he has deserved to win every time he's joined (but still hasn't). I don't care at all if I win or not this month, as long as Escorpiius claims 1st...

    Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Unfortunately, that often is the case. It's almost too obvious sometimes And yeah, I agree some FF writers require some much-needed criticism, but once Michael gets back on, he'll probably give you the same answer to that that he gave me
    And what answer was it that I gave you?? O__o xD Not the same as above I suppose? =p

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
    Haha poor Reborn!



    Excuses
    I like what I'm seeing Sara, you should hang around more often in the contest threads, gracing us with your presence ^_^

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    I have a question. Now we writers love criticism and we expect it from ourselves. But how do we know that we are worthy to criticize another person's work? How do we know that what we think is the right way is right? I mean, apart from the obvious 'you need to check your spellings' and 'you need to keep your tenses consistent' and 'your sentences are too long/short' or maybe 'you don't describe well enough or you describe too much'

    We've heard of writers whose work were rejected by some and yet they are some of the greatest names in literature today. Did you know that Tarzan was called a racist plot which was also against feminism? And yet today, Tarzan is like...

    What makes something good and what makes it bad? O_o
    Now that's a good question to raise a healthy discussion over!!

    I think we need to differ NB and the "real" world here, as in the "real" world, we have actual reviewers reviewing the different projects (movies, books, games, etc), but here on the Base, it's more of a "take it or leave it" type of thing... It's up to you whether you'll just flush down the critical "advice" down the toilet, or if you're going to take it in and grasp and learn from it. I do believe it often comes down to the actual member himself/herself, as who are you going to take more serious, the new member with 5 posts and only been active for 3 days's critical review, or a Mod like Roku, Escorpiius, with all their rewards and long time on the base,'s critical review??
     
         
    Last edited by Michael92; 07-07-2013 at 02:54 PM.

  4. #54
    Senior Member Chakra Wizard's Avatar
    Status
    Chakra Wizard is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    not a chance
    Posts
    7,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to make my dream of
    getting published a reality.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    And what answer was it that I gave you?? O__o xD Not the same as above I suppose? =p



    Now that's a good question to raise a healthy discussion over!!

    I think we need to differ NB and the "real" world here, as in the "real" world, we have actual reviewers reviewing the different projects (movies, books, games, etc), but here on the Base, it's more of a "take it or leave it" type of thing... It's up to you whether you'll just flush down the critical "advice" down the toilet, or if you're going to take it in and grasp and learn from it. I do believe it often comes down to the actual member himself/herself, as who are you going to take more serious, the new member with 5 posts and only been active for 3 days's critical review, or a Mod like Roku, Escorpiius, with all their rewards and long time on the base,'s critical review??
    The whole "mostly foreign population" thing? Remember? You gave me quite a lot of grief for it.

    Yeah, but he was asking how does the person giving that advice know that they're giving good advice that can actually help out the writer whose work they're reviewing. He's basically saying, "What makes you or me or any of us worthy of judging how good another person's story is?"
     
         

  5. #55
    Premium User Skylar Knight's Avatar
    Status
    Skylar Knight is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NarutoBase
    Posts
    3,503
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a limit to the people
    I can care about.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Well, it's not just that, but you know...it's like with Eureka Seven (apologize if you haven't seen it yet). They declared their love about halfway into the anime, but they at least got one kiss in during the last episode - and they were probably half Tomoya and Nagisa's age. I don't need a kiss to see how much they love each other, anyone with a heart can see that. I'm just saying it's kind of a suspension-of-disbelief that they're going through your basic tragic love story without just one kiss or even an innuendo suggesting that something more physical is happening between them. The only time a lack of kissing really gets to me is when there's no real certainty that the two characters will end up together when it's over, then it's open-ended and it pisses me off. (Lookin' at you, Ergo Proxy and Trigun.)

    Kinda sending off some gay vibes in this little exchange with Reborn, eh, Skylar?
    I have to admit, I was hoping for at least one kissing scene while watching the series. It seems somewhat weird that a couple, who clearly love each other deeply, never kiss once. So yes, I agree with you to some extent. The only reason I see why the producers did this, was because they wanted people to focus on the plot and not simple things like a kiss.

    I was a bit bored yesterday, I guess

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    I have a question. Now we writers love criticism and we expect it from ourselves. But how do we know that we are worthy to criticize another person's work? How do we know that what we think is the right way is right? I mean, apart from the obvious 'you need to check your spellings' and 'you need to keep your tenses consistent' and 'your sentences are too long/short' or maybe 'you don't describe well enough or you describe too much'

    We've heard of writers whose work were rejected by some and yet they are some of the greatest names in literature today. Did you know that Tarzan was called a racist plot which was also against feminism? And yet today, Tarzan is like...

    What makes something good and what makes it bad? O_o

    Despite the feminism and racism, Tarzan really has a great and unique plot. There was something new about it, and I think that's what people appreciate the most. When I read a book, when I look at the pages, I focus on the plot and base my opinion on it alone. It's true that a book needs to be written well with grammar, flow and structure, but what makes something stand out is the story the book holds.

    You can be the best of writer, a person who knows how to write what's needed, but it won't get you far if you have no creativity and imagination. You need a bit of both, but no one is going to read your work if the plot and story go downhill. In the word "storytelling", the "story" always comes before "telling". That's how I see it, that's how I like my books, and that's how I plan to write my books.
     
         
    Last edited by Skylar Knight; 07-07-2013 at 03:41 PM.

  6. #56
    Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Michael92 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Legendary Sage of Konoha's
    Series Finale - A great war in
    nearly here.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    The whole "mostly foreign population" thing? Remember? You gave me quite a lot of grief for it.

    Yeah, but he was asking how does the person giving that advice know that they're giving good advice that can actually help out the writer whose work they're reviewing. He's basically saying, "What makes you or me or any of us worthy of judging how good another person's story is?"
    Foreign as in English... Yeah, I do remember, haha xD I did? If so, I want to apologize for that brother, it's wasn't the way I intended you to feel.

    Well that is definitely the coin flipped the other way... I stand by my post regardless xD If you're a newbie, you should wait with reviews Jk
     
         

  7. #57
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Uzu, in response to your question, let's lay down some facts;
    First, writing, like all art, once it reaches a level of skill, becomes subjective to the beholder.
    Not all stories, however, are created equal.

    We could never put a HarryPotter or the Hunger Games in the same category as a Crime and Punishment or 1984. However, we could put a Tale of TwoCities there, though I don't like it myself.

    Thinking about that, we go back to critics; remember, Fitzgerald, who is one of the best writers to walk the earth, was shunned by most during his time. His books sold terribly. In his life, he could have been regarded as a "failure". And yet now his work is fairly well read, and is immortalized. (At least in North America.)

    My point being, critical review is up to everybody; you don't become "worthy" of reviewing somebodies work. The only place I see those reviews varying is in what the ones being critiqued can take from them to improve their work. Other than that, it's worth nothing. The critics who write articles online or in the papers are no different than you shooting the shit with your friends about how good/bad something was.

    In that respect, if the question becomes "am I worthy to review their work in a way that would help them?" Than it boils down to 'do you write, understand varying levels of literature, and have mastery in the english language?' That would make you 'worthy'.

    Least that's my two bits.
     
         

  8. #58
    Reborn's Avatar
    Status
    Reborn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Imagine paradise, now think of the furthest thing from it, and I'm in the place furthest from that.
    Posts
    10,715
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
    Haha poor Reborn!



    Excuses
    T_T yes poor me! Though you seem to be enjoying this -_-

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    I have a question. Now we writers love criticism and we expect it from ourselves. But how do we know that we are worthy to criticize another person's work? How do we know that what we think is the right way is right? I mean, apart from the obvious 'you need to check your spellings' and 'you need to keep your tenses consistent' and 'your sentences are too long/short' or maybe 'you don't describe well enough or you describe too much'

    We've heard of writers whose work were rejected by some and yet they are some of the greatest names in literature today. Did you know that Tarzan was called a racist plot which was also against feminism? And yet today, Tarzan is like...

    What makes something good and what makes it bad? O_o
    Horrible examples

    If somebody spells something wrong...they spelled the word wrong. If somebody is mixing their tenses three times in a sentence or throughout their story to the point it's not making sense...than it doesn't make sense. That's not necessarily a case of right or wrong it's purely correcting/proof reading at that point if those are the factors you're telling people to improve on.

    There are a lot of factors that make people, especially other writers worthy of criticizing others. Going through the process (hopefully) of being criticized, reading other's works and studying their styles, and understanding what they like about their style and other styles and noticing patterns between other people with similar styles. Those right there are factors but here's a more important one,

    Do you feel worthy?

    Regardless if something is widely accepted or popular or not. It doesn't give anybody any less right to criticize it.
     
         
    Last edited by Reborn; 07-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Chakra Wizard's Avatar
    Status
    Chakra Wizard is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    not a chance
    Posts
    7,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to make my dream of
    getting published a reality.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar Knight View Post
    I have to admit, I was hoping for at least one kissing scene while watching the series. It seems somewhat weird that a couple, who clearly love each other deeply, never kiss once. So yes, I agree with you to some extent. The only reason I see why the producers did this, was because they wanted people to focus on the plot and not simple things like a kiss.

    I was a bit bored yesterday, I guess
    Welcome to my world But yeah, absolutely. Most people do pay more attention to the expression of the couple's love rather than the love itself, so I see the credibility in that. Personally, though, I don't see how just one kiss could've ruined what they were trying to do, especially for a story like Clannad

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    Foreign as in English... Yeah, I do remember, haha xD I did? If so, I want to apologize for that brother, it's wasn't the way I intended you to feel.

    Well that is definitely the coin flipped the other way... I stand by my post regardless xD If you're a newbie, you should wait with reviews Jk
    Well, you did, and I've been emotionally scarred ever since ... I kid.
     
         

  10. #60
    Senior Member Vilvake's Avatar
    Status
    Vilvake is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,771
    Post Thanks / Like
    "If that's true — if
    you don't know who I am —
    then maybe your best course
    would be to tread
    lightly."
     

    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    I have a question. Now we writers love criticism and we expect it from ourselves. But how do we know that we are worthy to criticize another person's work? How do we know that what we think is the right way is right? I mean, apart from the obvious 'you need to check your spellings' and 'you need to keep your tenses consistent' and 'your sentences are too long/short' or maybe 'you don't describe well enough or you describe too much'

    We've heard of writers whose work were rejected by some and yet they are some of the greatest names in literature today. Did you know that Tarzan was called a racist plot which was also against feminism? And yet today, Tarzan is like...

    What makes something good and what makes it bad? O_o
    Beyond literal problems such as incorrect spelling or grammar, what is "bad writing", really? Bad (or good) writing is a reflection of what a reader enjoys or doesn't enjoy in a work of literature. Everyone has their own unique view. For that reason, I don't put very much value in a single person's advice. Instead I look at the most commonly held beliefs across society as a whole, because, after all, your work will be judged by society as a whole, not a single person. However, since beliefs change, what society currently deems as "good writing" isn't constant. That's why authors such as Shakespeare and Fitzgerald are held in higher regard now than they were in their lifetime. So, to answer your question, anyone and everyone is worthy of criticizing your work. But that doesn't mean you should listen to everyone's criticism.
     
         

  11. #61
    Senior Member Chakra Wizard's Avatar
    Status
    Chakra Wizard is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    not a chance
    Posts
    7,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to make my dream of
    getting published a reality.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Just posted Chapter 17 of Naruto: Tetsuden, if anyone would like to read it As always, feedback is greatly appreciated
     
         

  12. #62
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    I've read all the posts but more than replying, I want to ask you all, a question:

    As Fanfic writers, what do we need more? Feedback or Critique.

    I think, your answer to this, reflects a lot, to how you view things in writing.
     
         

  13. #63
    Fiona Glenanne ThatOneChick's Avatar
    Status
    ThatOneChick is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Internet o.O
    Posts
    9,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    SENZU BEAN!!!
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    I've read all the posts but more than replying, I want to ask you all, a question:

    As Fanfic writers, what do we need more? Feedback or Critique.

    I think, your answer to this, reflects a lot, to how you view things in writing.
    An interesting question indeed! However may I also add to the fact that it's not just authors that crave feedback and critique but poets as well.

    Anyways, we all crave critique to pick up on any errors that we may have missed or just to improve in our writing as a whole. We hope for feed back to have the sense of knowing that our words aren't fallen on deaf ears so to speak. It's not about a person saying they enjoyed the story (though it's welcome) but to see if a reader truly understands the words we reach deep within ourselves and paint into words. We all see art differently so writing is obviously no exception either, so it's interesting to see the reader leave feed back and see how your words touched that individual in a way it may not even have meant to be.

    All in all feed back is more so of a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently. We as writers pour our soul into our work and to have someone looking in at who we are and like what they see is a huge compliment! If they don't like what they are reading, then that's fine as well but that doesn't mean the writer should change their way of writing to please a person; that's just like trying to change who you are as a person and that never works out well.

    Very intriguing question to ask Escorpiius!
     
         
    Last edited by ThatOneChick; 07-07-2013 at 06:49 PM.

  14. #64
    Senior Member Germanicus's Avatar
    Status
    Germanicus is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Critique, by far. 'Good job, I liked it' is nice and all, but it can't help you improve. It means more when a reader sees a mistake than a writer, because it gives the writer more cause to fix it.
     
         

  15. #65
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    An interesting question indeed! However may I also add to the fact that it's not just authors that crave feedback and critique but poets as well.

    Anyways, we all crave critique to pick up on any errors that we may have missed or just to improve in our writing as a whole. We hope for feed back to have the sense of knowing that our words aren't fallen on deaf ears so to speak. It's not about a person saying they enjoyed the story (though it's welcome) but to see if a reader truly understands the words we reach deep within ourselves and paint into words. We all see art differently so writing is obviously no exception either, so it's interesting to see the reader leave feed back and see how your words touched that individual in a way it may not even have meant to be.

    All in all feed back is more so of a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently. We as writers pour our soul into our work and to have someone looking in at who we are and like what they see is a huge compliment! If they don't like what they are reading, then that's fine as well but that doesn't mean the writer should change their way of writing to please a person; that's just like trying to change who you are as a person and that never works out well.

    Very intriguing question to ask Escorpiius!
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Critique, by far. 'Good job, I liked it' is nice and all, but it can't help you improve. It means more when a reader sees a mistake than a writer, because it gives the writer more cause to fix it.
    I guess, my question served its purpose. I'm not saying you're wrong, Germanicus but the major reason, you find so many bad things in our FF community, is due to that desire of yours. It's not wrong, it's just divergent.

    Personally, I agree with TOC wholeheartedly. Critique are valuable but I value feedback more. We are fanfiction writers - keyword being 'fan'. We write due our love to something, and that includes love for the art of story-telling and writing. Many of us, write to simply appease our creativity urges.

    And feedbacks and appreciation makes that feeling enhanced unlimited. Feedback is indeed a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently.

    Perhaps, (and I do emphasize on 'perhaps') if I was an aspiring pro. writer or novel writer, I would have crave for critique more. But as someone who writes for the art of writing, I value feedbacks more. Sure, I don't value mere feedbacks like 'Awesome', 'Great', 'Very nice' ect... but when I read real feedbacks, I realized how much I made a reader connect to my mind, to my creativity, to my inspiration...And to get that connection, I don't obligatorily needs a reputed writer who knows how to write critique professionally and in the right way.

    That's why my question is interesting - in my opinion, those who value feedbacks more than critique, won't degrade our FF community as much and won't find as many glitches.
     
         
    Last edited by Escorpiius; 07-07-2013 at 07:30 PM.

  16. #66
    こころ Yαмα's Avatar
    Status
    Yαмα is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My mind: you don't belong here.
    Posts
    28,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Feedback is more important to me.


    As for my vote, I'm going for Lili.
     
         

  17. #67
    Fiona Glenanne ThatOneChick's Avatar
    Status
    ThatOneChick is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Internet o.O
    Posts
    9,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    SENZU BEAN!!!
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    I guess, my question served its purpose. I'm not saying you're wrong, Germanicus but the major reason, you find so many bad things in our FF community, is due to that desire of yours. It's not wrong, it's just divergent.

    Personally, I agree with TOC wholeheartedly. Critique are valuable but I value feedback more. We are fanfiction writion - keyword being 'fan'. We write due our love to something, and that includes love for the art of story-telling and writing. Many of us, write to simply appease our creativity urges.

    And feedbacks and appreciation makes that feeling enhanced unlimited. Feedback is indeed a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently.

    Perhaps, (and I do emphasize on 'perhaps') if I was an aspiring pro. writer or novel writer, I would have crave for critique more. But as someone who writes for the art of writing, I value feedbacks more. Sure, I don't value mere feedbacks like 'Awesome', 'Great', 'Very nice' ect... but when I read real feedbacks, I realized how much I made a reader connect to my mind, to my creativity, to my inspiration...And to get that connection, I don't obligatorily needs a reputed writer who knows how to write critique professionally and in the right way.

    That's why my question is interesting - in my opinion, those who value feedbacks more than critique, won't degrade our FF community as much and won't find as many glitches.
    If you're going pro you will have an editor to critique your work so it's released to be as perfect as possible which kind of defeats the purpose of it by fans.

    However feed back would still be most important as it would effect how many people buy into your books and respond to your writing still. Obviously you will see feed back via sells, inspiring others to write ff's about your story, ect. Feed back will always be important to a writer! Besides if you're a pro, you would have very little errors that would even need to be fixed.

    Edit: I'm not saying feed back as in yeah it was good and just upping your post counts either. True feed back that leaves the readers connected with the writer to the point that they want to buy anything that person writes or what not. To turn a reader into a wholeheartedly fan.

    Edit #2: lol Great minds think a like.
     
         
    Last edited by ThatOneChick; 07-07-2013 at 07:36 PM.

  18. #68
    ǝsɔoɹdııns Escorpiius's Avatar
    Status
    Escorpiius is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    ****ing Burnin' Paradise
    Posts
    8,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    If you're going pro you will have an editor to critique your work so it's released to be as perfect as possible which kind of defeats the purpose of it by fans.

    However feed back would still be most important as it would effect how many people buy into your books and respond to your writing still. Obviously you will see feed back via sells, inspiring others to write ff's about your story, ect. Feed back will always be important to a writer! Besides if you're a pro, you would have very little errors that would even need to be fixed.
    My point wasn't that feedback won't be important if I go pro. Of course, feedbacks are invaluable. It's just that I'll be more tempted to reach that holy grail of perfect writing if I was pro. And critique would crucial to reach that target.

    But I do not have any of those intentions. So, for me, feedbacks for usual fanfic writers (I don't mean 'usual' in a degrading term. You can be usual but terrific writer too) are way more valuable than critique.
     
         

  19. #69
    Fiona Glenanne ThatOneChick's Avatar
    Status
    ThatOneChick is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Internet o.O
    Posts
    9,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    SENZU BEAN!!!
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    My point wasn't that feedback won't be important if I go pro. Of course, feedbacks are invaluable. It's just that I'll be more tempted to reach that holy grail of perfect writing if I was pro. And critique would crucial to reach that target.

    But I do not have any of those intentions. So, for me, feedbacks for usual fanfic writers (I don't mean 'usual' in a degrading term. You can be usual but terrific writer too) are way more valuable than critique.
    Yeah I know how that is. To perfect writing it's like you suddenly become OCD and everything has to be exactly right! It's rather annoying, but it's why I haven't finished my own novel yet.
     
         

  20. #70
    Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Michael92 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Legendary Sage of Konoha's
    Series Finale - A great war in
    nearly here.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    I've read all the posts but more than replying, I want to ask you all, a question:

    As Fanfic writers, what do we need more? Feedback or Critique.

    I think, your answer to this, reflects a lot, to how you view things in writing.
    Let me answer your question, with another question... If feedback matters more to you, does that mean you value quantity over quality of those "reviews" ??
    I'm going to position myself half by half with this, as 1, 2, 3, or even 15 posts of feedback, won't matter, if the feedback you get don't "speak out" to you. If it comes out as a "Meh, whatever," then the whole point of the feedback is gone. For me, it's often about what each person say that really matters, although it's the way he/she decides to go at it which decides whether it's something that you will take in to your heart, or that will just go in one ear, and out the next.

    Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Well, you did, and I've been emotionally scarred ever since ... I kid.
    "It" ** Was what I was suppose to write in that post xD But anyways, Sorry to hear that brother xD Hope you used this experience to grow as a writer, no?
     
         

  21. #71
    Rikudo Sennin ~Uzumaki~'s Avatar
    Status
    ~Uzumaki~ is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    6,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Lord is my light and my
    salvation; whom shall I fear?
    the Lord is the strength of my
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    If I wrote a novel, I'd want lots of positive feedback. As for a fanfiction, I'd want critique and guidance to curb my mistakes and sharpen my skills for the novel.
     
         

  22. #72
    Senior Member Chakra Wizard's Avatar
    Status
    Chakra Wizard is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    not a chance
    Posts
    7,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to make my dream of
    getting published a reality.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    Let me answer your question, with another question... If feedback matters more to you, does that mean you value quantity over quality of those "reviews" ??
    I'm going to position myself half by half with this, as 1, 2, 3, or even 15 posts of feedback, won't matter, if the feedback you get don't "speak out" to you. If it comes out as a "Meh, whatever," then the whole point of the feedback is gone. For me, it's often about what each person say that really matters, although it's the way he/she decides to go at it which decides whether it's something that you will take in to your heart, or that will just go in one ear, and out the next.



    "It" ** Was what I was suppose to write in that post xD But anyways, Sorry to hear that brother xD Hope you used this experience to grow as a writer, no?
    I agree to some extent. I would like more than just a "Meh" kind of response, but I also want lots of them, because it lets me know that there are lots of people who appreciated my chapters enough to give feedback, know what I mean?

    I don't see how it could have, since (along with Germanicus, Reborn, and Uzu) I'm probably one of, if not THE best writer on the base, in terms of the fundamentals I'm not necessarily bragging, but as it has been discussed many times before, there are a very small number of writers here that bother to proofread their chapters and also make them appear smart, but not written as though they were scientific journals, y'know? And yes, Michael, I am taking into consideration just the writers that typically use English in their daily lives And I apologize if there's another writer I overlooked who writes that well

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    Yeah I know how that is. To perfect writing it's like you suddenly become OCD and everything has to be exactly right! It's rather annoying, but it's why I haven't finished my own novel yet.
    Someone who understands my frustration!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    An interesting question indeed! However may I also add to the fact that it's not just authors that crave feedback and critique but poets as well.

    Anyways, we all crave critique to pick up on any errors that we may have missed or just to improve in our writing as a whole. We hope for feed back to have the sense of knowing that our words aren't fallen on deaf ears so to speak. It's not about a person saying they enjoyed the story (though it's welcome) but to see if a reader truly understands the words we reach deep within ourselves and paint into words. We all see art differently so writing is obviously no exception either, so it's interesting to see the reader leave feed back and see how your words touched that individual in a way it may not even have meant to be.

    All in all feed back is more so of a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently. We as writers pour our soul into our work and to have someone looking in at who we are and like what they see is a huge compliment! If they don't like what they are reading, then that's fine as well but that doesn't mean the writer should change their way of writing to please a person; that's just like trying to change who you are as a person and that never works out well.

    Very intriguing question to ask Escorpiius!
    To answer your question, Escorpiius, I'll use the words of our dear TOC

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    If I wrote a novel, I'd want lots of positive feedback. As for a fanfiction, I'd want critique and guidance to curb my mistakes and sharpen my skills for the novel.
    Huh, never thought of it in that respect. You might have a point there, man
     
         

  23. #73
    Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Michael92 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    5,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Legendary Sage of Konoha's
    Series Finale - A great war in
    nearly here.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    I agree to some extent. I would like more than just a "Meh" kind of response, but I also want lots of them, because it lets me know that there are lots of people who appreciated my chapters enough to give feedback, know what I mean?

    I don't see how it could have, since (along with Germanicus, Reborn, and Uzu) I'm probably one of, if not THE best writer on the base, in terms of the fundamentals I'm not necessarily bragging, but as it has been discussed many times before, there are a very small number of writers here that bother to proofread their chapters and also make them appear smart, but not written as though they were scientific journals, y'know? And yes, Michael, I am taking into consideration just the writers that typically use English in their daily lives And I apologize if there's another writer I overlooked who writes that well



    Someone who understands my frustration!



    To answer your question, Escorpiius, I'll use the words of our dear TOC



    Huh, never thought of it in that respect. You might have a point there, man
    Yeah, you completely forgot about Kuroi Honoo, Roku, Lili and Escorpiius
     
         

  24. #74
    Senior Member Chakra Wizard's Avatar
    Status
    Chakra Wizard is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    not a chance
    Posts
    7,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to make my dream of
    getting published a reality.
     



    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    Yeah, you completely forgot about Kuroi Honoo, Roku, Lili and Escorpiius
    In terms of grammar and the like? Escorpiius, Kuroi, and Lili are great, but I still see some mistakes now and then in their work, man (I can't find anything from Roku, unfortunately). I'm talking about those who very rarely show any mistakes at ALL, maybe a small one that was overlooked every handful of chapters or something. ...Actually, to be honest, I probably can't put Reborn in that group anymore, either. He's been showing a few more mistakes than usual lately...no offense to you, man

    Edit: Take that back (I typed in the wrong name). Yeah, Roku's pretty good. I could probably place him in that group, too
     
         
    Last edited by Chakra Wizard; 07-08-2013 at 01:14 AM.

  25. #75
    Senior Member syed47's Avatar
    Status
    syed47 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    3,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user's status is higher
    than your's... XD
     

    Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

    GOOD LUCK everybody
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •