7 13.46%
Page 4 of 17 « First 1234567814 ... Last»
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    I guess, my question served its purpose. I'm not saying you're wrong, Germanicus but the major reason, you find so many bad things in our FF community, is due to that desire of yours. It's not wrong, it's just divergent.

Personally, I agree with TOC wholeheartedly. Critique are valuable but I value feedback more. We are fanfiction writers - keyword being 'fan'. We write due our love to something, and that includes love for the art of story-telling and writing. Many of us, write to simply appease our creativity urges.

And feedbacks and appreciation makes that feeling enhanced unlimited. Feedback is indeed a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently.

Perhaps, (and I do emphasize on 'perhaps') if I was an aspiring pro. writer or novel writer, I would have crave for critique more. But as someone who writes for the art of writing, I value feedbacks more. Sure, I don't value mere feedbacks like 'Awesome', 'Great', 'Very nice' ect... but when I read real feedbacks, I realized how much I made a reader connect to my mind, to my creativity, to my inspiration...And to get that connection, I don't obligatorily needs a reputed writer who knows how to write critique professionally and in the right way.

That's why my question is interesting - in my opinion, those who value feedbacks more than critique, won't degrade our FF community as much and won't find as many glitches.
    For some reason that makes me think of The Road Less Traveled by Frost.

Meh, divergent or not, it's my thing. The majority of nb seems not to appreciate good writers on base, like the wiz or uzu, anyway. Considering that, feedback by itself isn't worth all that much to me. I write for the sake of the art itself.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I feel left out now oh well cant be helped I have been away for a bit I guess.

Status
    Jun 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey! Don't go call my status
    lame! - Ok then you're lame! (
    I don't know you, but I will
    find you, and I will lame you)
    Not before I find you and Lame
    you! This is bullying, you
    lame lamer!

I like Feedback. I like to hear about how they like a character, and what they like about it. I like to see if people are getting what the story is trying to tell, or if I'm being successful in portraying what I want to portray. I like to see people predictions, theories, etc. In the scope of what I write, it might not be as numerous, but when it happens, I love it.

I like the critique too, and especially when they give me more vocabulary to work with, or when they aim to clarify some descriptions I did wrong. I like to improve as a writer too, but if we're talking about preferred, feedback is what I value the most.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to balance work and
    school while writing in my
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by serenaandrosie View Post
    I feel left out now oh well cant be helped I have been away for a bit I guess.
    We would never leave you out, Serena, you know that

Legendary Sage of Konoha Michael92's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Quote Originally Posted by Lili-Chwan View Post
    I like Feedback. I like to hear about how they like a character, and what they like about it. I like to see if people are getting what the story is trying to tell, or if I'm being successful in portraying what I want to portray. I like to see people predictions, theories, etc. In the scope of what I write, it might not be as numerous, but when it happens, I love it.

I like the critique too, and especially when they give me more vocabulary to work with, or when they aim to clarify some descriptions I did wrong. I like to improve as a writer too, but if we're talking about preferred, feedback is what I value the most.
    The only thing to keep in mind however, is that "NB Feedback" and "regular feedback" often is two completely different terms... NB feedback often comes in small posts telling you that you've done another great chapter and that you've done good with this, and perhaps that, while regular feedback comes in the form that the "NB critic" often does...

When I think about feedback on NB, I often take those simple okay lengthy posts into consideration, the ones that tell you a little of what they think. The more detailed ones however, often includes critic as a "bonus," and it's those posts that value more in my view, as simple feedback, that I often get, doesn't ask question or raise interesting discussion on the recent plot and story-line, but the critic however, often do.

When I think of a critic, I think of it more as a review (Escorp, Kuroi, Kyon), while I think of feedback as just that... Whether it was good or not. As it seem, some people might have a different view on the "two terms."

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    spare time.

Just curious, how do you think the new Writer's Base layout'll change our posting here in the contest threads? Sure, we can't have small talk there, but it's still a place where we can actually talk writers to writers.

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Just curious, how do you think the new Writer's Base layout'll change our posting here in the contest threads? Sure, we can't have small talk there, but it's still a place where we can actually talk writers to writers.
    For the better... As you may have noticed, the discussions in this month's contest has been more "clean" and more to the point, not just some random Mumbo Jumbo. And due to this, it's much easier to follow and join in on what's happening. As seen by your and my own threads respectively, they've already raised interesting topics, topics that we might not have thought of here with the "old formula."

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    For the better... As you may have noticed, the discussions in this month's contest has been more "clean" and more to the point, not just some random Mumbo Jumbo. And due to this, it's much easier to follow and join in on what's happening. As seen by your and my own threads respectively, they've already raised interesting topics, topics that we might not have thought of here with the "old formula."
    I just hope I don't end up posting the majority of the threads on there, man I'm about to post another one asking for advice on creating a character.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

We would never leave you out, Serena, you know that
    TY chakra wizard

I will be back later on I am getting tired so I am gonna get some shut eye take care all

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

I just hope I don't end up posting the majority of the threads on there, man I'm about to post another one asking for advice on creating a character.
    Then by all means, do so. If you have a solid idea for a thread (not just to make a thread), then please go ahead! Your thread already inspired me to do a second one, one that I ended up spending a lot of time forming into what it eventually became. At this rate, our discussions here, will be about the "Creative Writing" section ;D People are sure to be drawn there soon ^_^ But by all means, keep the conversations going here too, as we wouldn't want people to dessert this place, in favor of something else, haha xD

Status
    Aug 2010
    Imagine paradise, now think of the furthest thing from it, and I'm in the place furthest from that.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belongs to my Shishou

I prefer feedback but both critic and feedback are scarce/often unhelpful on the base.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    spare time.

Then by all means, do so. If you have a solid idea for a thread (not just to make a thread), then please go ahead! Your thread already inspired me to do a second one, one that I ended up spending a lot of time forming into what it eventually became. At this rate, our discussions here, will be about the "Creative Writing" section ;D People are sure to be drawn there soon ^_^ But by all means, keep the conversations going here too, as we wouldn't want people to dessert this place, in favor of something else, haha xD
    Yeah, we certainly wouldn't want them turning this thread into a nice tasty treat. ...Sorry, I had no choice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hämsterviel View Post
    I prefer feedback but both critic and feedback are scarce/often unhelpful on the base.
    ...Wait, who are you? I kid, man Care to explain the new name for us?

Hey, are you allowed to change your name whenever you like now or something?

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

Yeah, we certainly wouldn't want them turning this thread into a nice tasty treat. ...Sorry, I had no choice

Damn, I don't know where my head is at today xD

Yep they are, all of them seems to have changed for some reason (guessing it's this time of the year now).

Status
    Aug 2010
    Imagine paradise, now think of the furthest thing from it, and I'm in the place furthest from that.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belongs to my Shishou

Damn, I don't know where my head is at today xD

Yep they are, all of them seems to have changed for some reason (guessing it's this time of the year now).
    Take a gander at the other staff members and their names and figure out the theme

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Lord is my light and my
    salvation; whom shall I fear?
    the Lord is the strength of my
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid

I just have to ask....who voted for me and Germy? I know one person voted for us but do we have...more? O_o

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Belongs to my Shishou

Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    I just have to ask....who voted for me and Germy? I know one person voted for us but do we have...more? O_o
    The suspense must be killing you

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hämsterviel View Post
    The suspense must be killing you
    Yeah....I'm dyin' to know. You didn't vote for us, did you?

Status
    Dec 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~On Hitatus~

@ Reborn - Disney Villains =p Sorry, Escorp already spoiled the fun

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    spare time.

@ Reborn - Disney Villains =p Sorry, Escorp already spoiled the fun
    Hmm, then where is Dr. Hämsterviel from? Never heard of him.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

Hmm, then where is Dr. Hämsterviel from? Never heard of him.
    The Hamster is from Lilo & Stitch.
    And btw, Reborn, get yourself an avy faster! A hamster and a bird - that's putting villainy to shame

On the Discussions in Writers' Base, I'd personally recommend that you use the Daily Discussion thread scarcely when Voting thread is on. Keep your usual habits in this Voting Contest. When there's a break, you may enjoy there more thoroughly.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Writing some stuff... It's a
    surprise...

I am really close to finishing one of the three chapters I plan on releasing sometime this week. (Pokemon: A New Journey, Naruto: Jounin Adventures, and Tale of the Sage)

I might actually drop the Tale of the Sage, does anyone have any objections to that?

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA49 View Post
    I am really close to finishing one of the three chapters I plan on releasing sometime this week. (Pokemon: A New Journey, Naruto: Jounin Adventures, and Tale of the Sage)

I might actually drop the Tale of the Sage, does anyone have any objections to that?
    I can't really tell you what to do with your stories, man, but just make sure you're dropping it because it's what you wanna do before you actually do it, not because it's not doing well or people don't seem to care or something like that.

Status
    Dec 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Writing some stuff... It's a
    surprise...

I can't really tell you what to do with your stories, man, but just make sure you're dropping it because it's what you wanna do before you actually do it, not because it's not doing well or people don't seem to care or something like that.
    Well, that's the thing. I don't really want to drop it. I had everything planned out. It's just that I can't think of much for next chapter, and I haven't posted one in a while. So it's tough I guess.

Finished the second chapter of Pokemon: A New Adventure. Posting it soon!

Last edited by DoubleA49; 07-09-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA49 View Post
    Well, that's the thing. I don't really want to drop it. I had everything planned out. It's just that I can't think of much for next chapter, and I haven't posted one in a while. So it's tough I guess.

Finished the second chapter of Pokemon: A New Adventure. Posting it soon!
    Well, just brainstorm a bit, think of a few things, or if the worst comes to pass, put it on hiatus until you find that spark again. If you don't wanna discontinue it, then by all means, don't.

Status
    Sep 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid

Hello everybody! Weird how most of you are just going to bed and I'm just getting up. O_o Finished the next chap of Crow in the Shadows. Gonna post it whenever internet allows.

Double, you wanna discontinue? Its cool. Writers do lose interest sometimes but you can just put it on hiatus like the Wiz has advised...if you really don't want to cut it off totally.

Nice weird names mods. I liked Lilo and Stitch. Now to do stuff. >_>