7 13.46%
Page 4 of 21 « First 1234567814 ... Last»
    Status
    Mar 2012
    Trying to balance work and
    school while writing in my
    spare time.

Re: Voting: Best FanFiction [July 2013]

Just posted Chapter 17 of Naruto: Tetsuden, if anyone would like to read it As always, feedback is greatly appreciated

Status
    Sep 2010
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

I've read all the posts but more than replying, I want to ask you all, a question:

As Fanfic writers, what do we need more? Feedback or Critique.

I think, your answer to this, reflects a lot, to how you view things in writing.

Status
    Aug 2011
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    I've read all the posts but more than replying, I want to ask you all, a question:

I think, your answer to this, reflects a lot, to how you view things in writing.
    An interesting question indeed! However may I also add to the fact that it's not just authors that crave feedback and critique but poets as well.

Anyways, we all crave critique to pick up on any errors that we may have missed or just to improve in our writing as a whole. We hope for feed back to have the sense of knowing that our words aren't fallen on deaf ears so to speak. It's not about a person saying they enjoyed the story (though it's welcome) but to see if a reader truly understands the words we reach deep within ourselves and paint into words. We all see art differently so writing is obviously no exception either, so it's interesting to see the reader leave feed back and see how your words touched that individual in a way it may not even have meant to be.

All in all feed back is more so of a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently. We as writers pour our soul into our work and to have someone looking in at who we are and like what they see is a huge compliment! If they don't like what they are reading, then that's fine as well but that doesn't mean the writer should change their way of writing to please a person; that's just like trying to change who you are as a person and that never works out well.

Very intriguing question to ask Escorpiius!

Last edited by ThatOneChick; 07-07-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Status
    Sep 2012
    This user has no status.

Critique, by far. 'Good job, I liked it' is nice and all, but it can't help you improve. It means more when a reader sees a mistake than a writer, because it gives the writer more cause to fix it.

Status
    Sep 2010
    "I'm suprised you know
    cake?”

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneChick View Post
    An interesting question indeed! However may I also add to the fact that it's not just authors that crave feedback and critique but poets as well.

Anyways, we all crave critique to pick up on any errors that we may have missed or just to improve in our writing as a whole. We hope for feed back to have the sense of knowing that our words aren't fallen on deaf ears so to speak. It's not about a person saying they enjoyed the story (though it's welcome) but to see if a reader truly understands the words we reach deep within ourselves and paint into words. We all see art differently so writing is obviously no exception either, so it's interesting to see the reader leave feed back and see how your words touched that individual in a way it may not even have meant to be.

All in all feed back is more so of a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently. We as writers pour our soul into our work and to have someone looking in at who we are and like what they see is a huge compliment! If they don't like what they are reading, then that's fine as well but that doesn't mean the writer should change their way of writing to please a person; that's just like trying to change who you are as a person and that never works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
    Critique, by far. 'Good job, I liked it' is nice and all, but it can't help you improve. It means more when a reader sees a mistake than a writer, because it gives the writer more cause to fix it.
    I guess, my question served its purpose. I'm not saying you're wrong, Germanicus but the major reason, you find so many bad things in our FF community, is due to that desire of yours. It's not wrong, it's just divergent.

Personally, I agree with TOC wholeheartedly. Critique are valuable but I value feedback more. We are fanfiction writers - keyword being 'fan'. We write due our love to something, and that includes love for the art of story-telling and writing. Many of us, write to simply appease our creativity urges.

And feedbacks and appreciation makes that feeling enhanced unlimited. Feedback is indeed a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently.

Perhaps, (and I do emphasize on 'perhaps') if I was an aspiring pro. writer or novel writer, I would have crave for critique more. But as someone who writes for the art of writing, I value feedbacks more. Sure, I don't value mere feedbacks like 'Awesome', 'Great', 'Very nice' ect... but when I read real feedbacks, I realized how much I made a reader connect to my mind, to my creativity, to my inspiration...And to get that connection, I don't obligatorily needs a reputed writer who knows how to write critique professionally and in the right way.

That's why my question is interesting - in my opinion, those who value feedbacks more than critique, won't degrade our FF community as much and won't find as many glitches.

Last edited by Escorpiius; 07-07-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Status
    Feb 2011
    Don't judge my replies or my
    persona, constructed from the
    vibe and perceptions my avatar
    gives you. The contents of my
    reply doesn't represent the
    character in my ava (despite
    its origins), they represent
    the human behind the screen.

Feedback is more important to me.

As for my vote, I'm going for Lili.

Status
    Aug 2011
    This user has no status.

I guess, my question served its purpose. I'm not saying you're wrong, Germanicus but the major reason, you find so many bad things in our FF community, is due to that desire of yours. It's not wrong, it's just divergent.

Personally, I agree with TOC wholeheartedly. Critique are valuable but I value feedback more. We are fanfiction writion - keyword being 'fan'. We write due our love to something, and that includes love for the art of story-telling and writing. Many of us, write to simply appease our creativity urges.

And feedbacks and appreciation makes that feeling enhanced unlimited. Feedback is indeed a bond created between the reader and the writer that may even inspire both to go about the story a different way or even to deal with a real life issue differently.

Perhaps, (and I do emphasize on 'perhaps') if I was an aspiring pro. writer or novel writer, I would have crave for critique more. But as someone who writes for the art of writing, I value feedbacks more. Sure, I don't value mere feedbacks like 'Awesome', 'Great', 'Very nice' ect... but when I read real feedbacks, I realized how much I made a reader connect to my mind, to my creativity, to my inspiration...And to get that connection, I don't obligatorily needs a reputed writer who knows how to write critique professionally and in the right way.

That's why my question is interesting - in my opinion, those who value feedbacks more than critique, won't degrade our FF community as much and won't find as many glitches.
    If you're going pro you will have an editor to critique your work so it's released to be as perfect as possible which kind of defeats the purpose of it by fans.

However feed back would still be most important as it would effect how many people buy into your books and respond to your writing still. Obviously you will see feed back via sells, inspiring others to write ff's about your story, ect. Feed back will always be important to a writer! Besides if you're a pro, you would have very little errors that would even need to be fixed.

Edit: I'm not saying feed back as in yeah it was good and just upping your post counts either. True feed back that leaves the readers connected with the writer to the point that they want to buy anything that person writes or what not. To turn a reader into a wholeheartedly fan.

Edit #2: lol Great minds think a like.

Last edited by ThatOneChick; 07-07-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Status
    Sep 2010
    "I'm suprised you know
    cake?”

If you're going pro you will have an editor to critique your work so it's released to be as perfect as possible which kind of defeats the purpose of it by fans.

However feed back would still be most important as it would effect how many people buy into your books and respond to your writing still. Obviously you will see feed back via sells, inspiring others to write ff's about your story, ect. Feed back will always be important to a writer! Besides if you're a pro, you would have very little errors that would even need to be fixed.
    My point wasn't that feedback won't be important if I go pro. Of course, feedbacks are invaluable. It's just that I'll be more tempted to reach that holy grail of perfect writing if I was pro. And critique would crucial to reach that target.

But I do not have any of those intentions. So, for me, feedbacks for usual fanfic writers (I don't mean 'usual' in a degrading term. You can be usual but terrific writer too) are way more valuable than critique.

Status
    Aug 2011
    This user has no status.

My point wasn't that feedback won't be important if I go pro. Of course, feedbacks are invaluable. It's just that I'll be more tempted to reach that holy grail of perfect writing if I was pro. And critique would crucial to reach that target.

But I do not have any of those intentions. So, for me, feedbacks for usual fanfic writers (I don't mean 'usual' in a degrading term. You can be usual but terrific writer too) are way more valuable than critique.
    Yeah I know how that is. To perfect writing it's like you suddenly become OCD and everything has to be exactly right! It's rather annoying, but it's why I haven't finished my own novel yet.

Status
    Dec 2009
    The Legendary Sage of Six
    Paths, coming soon.

Let me answer your question, with another question... If feedback matters more to you, does that mean you value quantity over quality of those "reviews" ??
    I'm going to position myself half by half with this, as 1, 2, 3, or even 15 posts of feedback, won't matter, if the feedback you get don't "speak out" to you. If it comes out as a "Meh, whatever," then the whole point of the feedback is gone. For me, it's often about what each person say that really matters, although it's the way he/she decides to go at it which decides whether it's something that you will take in to your heart, or that will just go in one ear, and out the next.

Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    Well, you did, and I've been emotionally scarred ever since ... I kid.
    "It" ** Was what I was suppose to write in that post xD But anyways, Sorry to hear that brother xD Hope you used this experience to grow as a writer, no?

Status
    Sep 2011
    The Lord is my light and my
    salvation; whom shall I fear?
    the Lord is the strength of my
    life; of whom shall I be
    afraid

If I wrote a novel, I'd want lots of positive feedback. As for a fanfiction, I'd want critique and guidance to curb my mistakes and sharpen my skills for the novel.

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    Let me answer your question, with another question... If feedback matters more to you, does that mean you value quantity over quality of those "reviews" ??
    I'm going to position myself half by half with this, as 1, 2, 3, or even 15 posts of feedback, won't matter, if the feedback you get don't "speak out" to you. If it comes out as a "Meh, whatever," then the whole point of the feedback is gone. For me, it's often about what each person say that really matters, although it's the way he/she decides to go at it which decides whether it's something that you will take in to your heart, or that will just go in one ear, and out the next.

"It" ** Was what I was suppose to write in that post xD But anyways, Sorry to hear that brother xD Hope you used this experience to grow as a writer, no?
    I agree to some extent. I would like more than just a "Meh" kind of response, but I also want lots of them, because it lets me know that there are lots of people who appreciated my chapters enough to give feedback, know what I mean?

I don't see how it could have, since (along with Germanicus, Reborn, and Uzu) I'm probably one of, if not THE best writer on the base, in terms of the fundamentals I'm not necessarily bragging, but as it has been discussed many times before, there are a very small number of writers here that bother to proofread their chapters and also make them appear smart, but not written as though they were scientific journals, y'know? And yes, Michael, I am taking into consideration just the writers that typically use English in their daily lives And I apologize if there's another writer I overlooked who writes that well

Yeah I know how that is. To perfect writing it's like you suddenly become OCD and everything has to be exactly right! It's rather annoying, but it's why I haven't finished my own novel yet.
    Someone who understands my frustration!

To answer your question, Escorpiius, I'll use the words of our dear TOC

Quote Originally Posted by Uzumaki16 View Post
    If I wrote a novel, I'd want lots of positive feedback. As for a fanfiction, I'd want critique and guidance to curb my mistakes and sharpen my skills for the novel.
    Huh, never thought of it in that respect. You might have a point there, man

Status
    Dec 2009
    Paths, coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chakrawizard555 View Post
    I agree to some extent. I would like more than just a "Meh" kind of response, but I also want lots of them, because it lets me know that there are lots of people who appreciated my chapters enough to give feedback, know what I mean?

I don't see how it could have, since (along with Germanicus, Reborn, and Uzu) I'm probably one of, if not THE best writer on the base, in terms of the fundamentals I'm not necessarily bragging, but as it has been discussed many times before, there are a very small number of writers here that bother to proofread their chapters and also make them appear smart, but not written as though they were scientific journals, y'know? And yes, Michael, I am taking into consideration just the writers that typically use English in their daily lives And I apologize if there's another writer I overlooked who writes that well

Someone who understands my frustration!

To answer your question, Escorpiius, I'll use the words of our dear TOC

Huh, never thought of it in that respect. You might have a point there, man
    Yeah, you completely forgot about Kuroi Honoo, Roku, Lili and Escorpiius

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    Yeah, you completely forgot about Kuroi Honoo, Roku, Lili and Escorpiius
    In terms of grammar and the like? Escorpiius, Kuroi, and Lili are great, but I still see some mistakes now and then in their work, man (I can't find anything from Roku, unfortunately). I'm talking about those who very rarely show any mistakes at ALL, maybe a small one that was overlooked every handful of chapters or something. ...Actually, to be honest, I probably can't put Reborn in that group anymore, either. He's been showing a few more mistakes than usual lately...no offense to you, man

Edit: Take that back (I typed in the wrong name). Yeah, Roku's pretty good. I could probably place him in that group, too

Last edited by Chakra Wizard; 07-08-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Status
    Jun 2013
    This user's status is higher
    than your's... XD

GOOD LUCK everybody

Status
    Sep 2012
    This user has no status.

Personally, I agree with TOC wholeheartedly. Critique are valuable but I value feedback more. We are fanfiction writers - keyword being 'fan'. We write due our love to something, and that includes love for the art of story-telling and writing. Many of us, write to simply appease our creativity urges.

For some reason that makes me think of The Road Less Traveled by Frost.

Meh, divergent or not, it's my thing. The majority of nb seems not to appreciate good writers on base, like the wiz or uzu, anyway. Considering that, feedback by itself isn't worth all that much to me. I write for the sake of the art itself.

Status
    Aug 2010
    This user has no status.

I feel left out now oh well cant be helped I have been away for a bit I guess.

Status
    Jun 2009
    Oh jóia, anda cá ao ourives!
    - OMG I HADN'T SEEN THIS LOL

I like Feedback. I like to hear about how they like a character, and what they like about it. I like to see if people are getting what the story is trying to tell, or if I'm being successful in portraying what I want to portray. I like to see people predictions, theories, etc. In the scope of what I write, it might not be as numerous, but when it happens, I love it.

I like the critique too, and especially when they give me more vocabulary to work with, or when they aim to clarify some descriptions I did wrong. I like to improve as a writer too, but if we're talking about preferred, feedback is what I value the most.

Status
    Mar 2012
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by serenaandrosie View Post
    I feel left out now oh well cant be helped I have been away for a bit I guess.
    We would never leave you out, Serena, you know that

Status
    Dec 2009
    Paths, coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lili-Chwan View Post
    I like Feedback. I like to hear about how they like a character, and what they like about it. I like to see if people are getting what the story is trying to tell, or if I'm being successful in portraying what I want to portray. I like to see people predictions, theories, etc. In the scope of what I write, it might not be as numerous, but when it happens, I love it.

I like the critique too, and especially when they give me more vocabulary to work with, or when they aim to clarify some descriptions I did wrong. I like to improve as a writer too, but if we're talking about preferred, feedback is what I value the most.
    The only thing to keep in mind however, is that "NB Feedback" and "regular feedback" often is two completely different terms... NB feedback often comes in small posts telling you that you've done another great chapter and that you've done good with this, and perhaps that, while regular feedback comes in the form that the "NB critic" often does...

When I think about feedback on NB, I often take those simple okay lengthy posts into consideration, the ones that tell you a little of what they think. The more detailed ones however, often includes critic as a "bonus," and it's those posts that value more in my view, as simple feedback, that I often get, doesn't ask question or raise interesting discussion on the recent plot and story-line, but the critic however, often do.

When I think of a critic, I think of it more as a review (Escorp, Kuroi, Kyon), while I think of feedback as just that... Whether it was good or not. As it seem, some people might have a different view on the "two terms."