5 15.63%
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last»
    Status
    Aug 2012
    I suffer from Premature
    Ejaculation... please help me.

Need advice from both Atheists and believers

Warning long read
    Honestly idk whats going on at the moment, I'm 16 years old(young I know) and have been going through changes alot for the past 2 years(I'm referring to my mindset) I've always been a solid believer in god ever since I was a little boy but even then I always had questions like how was go just there, something must've created him, or how he could allow events like the Holocaust, or 9/11, or even allow millions of children in Africa to starve to death daily, or how some people are just born lucky and others are born in poverty and struggle until the day they die. And it sucks cause I come from a big religious family who all believe in god. Although My older brother has hinted to me that he doesn't believe in God. Recently I find the religion to be very hypocritical, and unfair. I don't want to live my life believing that every time I enjoy myself I'm sinning. I don't want to believe that every joint I light, every person I will have sex with, every cuss word I say, every enjoyable thing I do that isn't sitting at home reading a Bible, is a sin. I want to enjoy everything I do and not feel bad about it, or like I'm letting "God" down. I don't know how to explain it to my family. They'll probably just be devastated and kick me out of their lives or something.

And also part of me thinks that religion is used to control the way people live their lives, honestly someone literally told me smoking weed is a sin I had no idea during the time of Jesus Christ's life he told people not to smoke weed lmao, Even the pope used indulgences during the crusades EX- Your family member dies and the pope lies to you and tells you that they're going to hell but if you pay him money he'll tell god to let him slide and go into heaven.
    Everything religion has "explained" science has contradicted, and it's honestly ridiculus I refuse to believe in Adam and Eve, cause if their kids mated then their grand children would've been retarded or something. I refuse to believe god flooded the earth killing billions of innocent lives telling Noah to take 2 of every species on this planet and put them on a fking boat. I refuse to believe that god so called gave us hormones and instincts and urges and when we act upon them we're considered "sinners" what type of logic is that? I don't even know why I'm posting, I guess its cause as I said before my family and friends are very religious and just wouldn't get it what I noticed about the members on this site is that there are alot of Atheists here and alot of members who are in their 20s, So I have two questions

1- To the members who are adults, did you go through the same thing at my age? How did you deal with it?
    2- To the Atheists, why are you guys atheists in the first place, I'm just curious. (I'm an atheist cause I believe that it's impossible for god to love everyone equally yet so many tragedies in this world happen daily) I also think most people turn to religion cause they're scared there are many questions out there that are hard to answer so they turn to religion cause they can't find those answers. The only good thing I can say about me being a Atheist is now I have intellectual freedom instead of using god as a answer for everything I now go out and find out why certain things are the way they are.

Please though I don't want anyone to talk about any individual religion and start a flame war I just need some advice from both people who believe in god and people who are atheists. (Don't try to convince me to do anything just tell me about your individual thoughts and experiences)

Last edited by oShux; 07-27-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Status
    Jul 2012
    #JanaIsAwesome!

Re: Need advice from both Atheists and believers

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

There's no evidence in God whatsoever, but nothing disproves him either. I'm an atheist, and I'm 16 years old.

Status
    Jan 2013
    King Calvin

Click the Link in my sig and everything will become clear.

Status
    Feb 2013
    California Show Me Love.

I'll give you my theory on God and religion (kinda of a Christian view with science)

God created the universe. Then the rest happen naturally, humans evolved just like Science says, and all that. (Except God created single cell organisms which evolved) Well God just lets us do what we want. Those who pray are helped in some ways (if you believe) but God isn't just gonna be like "Oh you're poor, but you refuse to work let me make you find a million bucks real quick" So basically you have to help yourself and ask God for help to. He's not just going to give you stuff because you're to lazy to do it yourself.

So there's my dumbed down theory. Didn't feel like writing all of it. But there it is, yes I believe in God, hope I helped.

Status
    Jul 2012
    Hungry

I didn't really go through this. I was never really forced into a religion by my family, so the more that I learned in science just reinforced the ideas of an omniscient, benevolent being that created everything didn't exist. To be honest, it sounds like a fairy tale to me.

Status
    Jun 2013
    the truth in life resides in
    perception.

I believe in God mainly because I don't see how a universe can create itself. However, I don't see the point in religion. I actually totally agree with atheist in the fact of the way things happen and religion is just something people made up to control others to win wars and get soldiers to fight for
    them to spread their influence and power. To answer your question God doesn't make things like the holocaust happen he gives people free will and people choose to do that stuff. When they die God just sorts them out based on what they did. In the end everybody gets what they deserve.

Status
    Jul 2012
    #JanaIsAwesome!

For me (and please no one take offense to this) the entire concept of God seems to be an excuse. Some people simply NEED a god. In no way is this a bad thing. It's just a fact. It's just an idea that keeps people from doing evil. Ethically is this good? That people only do good because of their god? It's not bad. Lets face it, without fear of punishment humanity is simply....vindictive. It may seem harsh, but it's the truth. It's really well shown in Lord of the Flies by William Golding. The symbolism is just great. Read it if you get the chance. I read it last year in my English class.

I'm not going to tell you to get back into religon. Just going to share my thoughts. Some people believe in God, others don't. Some believe in a different god than others. Does it really matter though? All religions are basically the same in that they ask you to do good. I don't believe in a God, but I DO believe in doing good. I think that if we all do good, it won't matter if you're different. But taking that into account, the reverse is also true. Religion has been instrumental in almost every major conflict in human history. Logically, it would be better if there was no God. But would it be better ethically? I don't know.

I'm reading right now, a series called "His Dark Materials". Great book. In the series, a man basically has the same thoughts that I illustrated above, and wages war on God. Pretty intresting story.

Status
    Dec 2012
    THE Ohio State University / Hometown- Cincinnati, OH
    You're lucky I even deign to
    respond to you ;)

Well tbh what I think you and most people of that age fail to consider (I know I did) was the truly wide range of beliefs on this planet about "God" or deities. Monotheism is so widespread and has been so distorted to the common person that it can seem very oppressive and contradicting. If I were you, I would try searching less "popular" faiths or create your "own version" of what God is.

For example, I don't believe God is a male, creator, human-like thing that "forgives", "judges", and does all this human stuff. However, the God I believe in is simply love and life. And as such as respect and live through that idea of God, and you can see the positive impact this has on my life.

Ultimately, just reflect and know most people's beliefs take years to figure out.

Peace

Status
    Mar 2013
    I truly am Forgotten.

Follow your heart.

Edit: I believe... nothing.
    Nothing at all.
    I don't believe in anything.
    Yup.

Its the best belief i could ever have.

Last edited by l Forgotten l; 07-27-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Status
    Aug 2012
    I suffer from Premature

Quote Originally Posted by Vēx View Post
    "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

There's no evidence in God whatsoever, but nothing disproves him either. I'm an atheist, and I'm 16 years old.
    I guess I just need a sign y'know? The fact that I will be able to see my grand mother again my childhood friend Jordan, and both of my grand fathers in heaven for eternity is a very happy thought almost brings a tear to my eye but wheres the evidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shichikage77 View Post
    I'll give you my theory on God and religion (kinda of a Christian view with science)

God created the universe. Then the rest happen naturally, humans evolved just like Science says, and all that. (Except God created single cell organisms which evolved) Well God just lets us do what we want. Those who pray are helped in some ways (if you believe) but God isn't just gonna be like "Oh you're poor, but you refuse to work let me make you find a million bucks real quick" So basically you have to help yourself and ask God for help to. He's not just going to give you stuff because you're to lazy to do it yourself.

So there's my dumbed down theory. Didn't feel like writing all of it. But there it is, yes I believe in God, hope I helped.
    I'm not asking for him to do everything for me infact if things are given to me I appreciate them less I love working hard for the things I have it gives me a sense of pride all I ask is a sign that he's there, and he's listening. Oh and one small thing that he stops world fking hunger

Quote Originally Posted by GOD2U View Post
    I believe in God mainly because I don't see how a universe can create itself. However, I don't see the point in religion. I actually totally agree with atheist in the fact of the way things happen and religion is just something people made up to control others to win wars and get soldiers to fight for
    them to spread their influence and power. To answer your question God doesn't make things like the holocaust happen he gives people free will and people choose to do that stuff. When they die God just sorts them out based on what they did. In the end everybody gets what they deserve.
    The big bang theory, and i dont see how god can create himself y'know? And honestly I don't want to start a race war but Jesus is depicted as a white man but your own bible says that he was a hebrew another flaw in religion

Status
    「 πλοῦτος
    κράτος 」

Summary of Myself - Atheist; 16 Years Old.

I. If God is willing to prevent evil but is unable, he is not omnipotent.
    II. If he is able to, but not willing, he is malevolent.
    III. If he is willing and able, why does it exist?
    IV. If he is not willing, and not able, why call him God?

-Epicurus

The existence of evil and sinning itself is evidence against God. Also, if all-knowing, why do this all? Why test us and if God is all loving, why did he want us to essentially be mind-slaves to him before the Devil's Intervention?

Status
    CC

I believe in God, when I was younger I doubted very little. But it was enough to make me second guess myself, something personal happened in my life and God rid me of some problems and ever since then I was really convinced that he existed. I'm 17 years old and I believe in God, so should you. But follow your heart I suppose.

Status
    Jul 2012
    The fate of destruction is the
    joy of rebirth

That awkward moment when you start questioning who created God and why he allows evil and bad things happen. Just look at it this way, knowledge is freedom, ignorance is happiness, what do you prefer?

Last edited by Narukarin16; 07-27-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Status
    Aug 2012
    I suffer from Premature

For me (and please no one take offense to this) the entire concept of God seems to be an excuse. Some people simply NEED a god. In no way is this a bad thing. It's just a fact. It's just an idea that keeps people from doing evil. Ethically is this good? That people only do good because of their god? It's not bad. Lets face it, without fear of punishment humanity is simply....vindictive. It may seem harsh, but it's the truth. It's really well shown in Lord of the Flies by William Golding. The symbolism is just great. Read it if you get the chance. I read it last year in my English class.

I'm not going to tell you to get back into religon. Just going to share my thoughts. Some people believe in God, others don't. Some believe in a different god than others. Does it really matter though? All religions are basically the same in that they ask you to do good. I don't believe in a God, but I DO believe in doing good. I think that if we all do good, it won't matter if you're different. But taking that into account, the reverse is also true. Religion has been instrumental in almost every major conflict in human history. Logically, it would be better if there was no God. But would it be better ethically? I don't know.

I'm reading right now, a series called "His Dark Materials". Great book. In the series, a man basically has the same thoughts that I illustrated above, and wages war on God. Pretty intresting story.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiraishinFTG View Post
    Well tbh what I think you and most people of that age fail to consider (I know I did) was the truly wide range of beliefs on this planet about "God" or deities. Monotheism is so widespread and has been so distorted to the common person that it can seem very oppressive and contradicting. If I were you, I would try searching less "popular" faiths or create your "own version" of what God is.

For example, I don't believe God is a male, creator, human-like thing that "forgives", "judges", and does all this human stuff. However, the God I believe in is simply love and life. And as such as respect and live through that idea of God, and you can see the positive impact this has on my life.

Ultimately, just reflect and know most people's beliefs take years to figure out.

Peace
    I love your way of thinking if there is one god and he's a mystical being then he shouldnt have a gender or it shouldnt have a gender

Quote Originally Posted by l Forgotten l View Post
    Follow your heart.
    Well my heart isn't saying anything at the moment and plus my brain is cloudy hence why I've turned to a bunch of strangers for advice

Status
    Mar 2013
    I truly am Forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by oShux View Post
    I love your way of thinking if there is one god and he's a mystical being then he shouldnt have a gender or it shouldnt have a gender

Well my heart isn't saying anything at the moment and plus my brain is cloudy hence why I've turned to a bunch of strangers for advice
    Come to my belief.
    It will just be me and you but.. nice to have a friend here.

Status
    Aug 2012
    I suffer from Premature

Quote Originally Posted by Joker.. View Post
    Summary of Myself - Atheist; 16 Years Old.

I. If God is willing to prevent evil but is unable, he is not omnipotent.
    II. If he is able to, but not willing, he is malevolent.
    III. If he is willing and able, why does it exist?
    IV. If he is not willing, and not able, why call him God?

-Epicurus

The existence of evil and sinning itself is evidence against God. Also, if all-knowing, why do this all? Why test us and if God is all loving, why did he want us to essentially be mind-slaves to him before the Devil's Intervention?

Wow nice food for thought
    Quote Originally Posted by Staarkk View Post
    I believe in God, when I was younger I doubted very little. But it was enough to make me second guess myself, something personal happened in my life and God rid me of some problems and ever since then I was really convinced that he existed. I'm 17 years old and I believe in God, so should you. But follow your heart I suppose.
    Can you tell me what it was if it's too personal I understand but if it's something that is truly the work of a miracle then even though it didn't happen to me I might actually turn back into religin
    Quote Originally Posted by Narukarin16 View Post
    That awkward moment when you start questioning who created God and why he allows evil and bad things happen. Just look at it this way, knowledge is freedom, ignorance is happiness, what do you prefer?
    Freedom is happiness but when it comes to religion they are very two different things it seems

Status
    Aug 2012
    I suffer from Premature

I read the book and the movie but it's been a while what exactly are you referring to

Status
    Jul 2012
    Stigmata

I'll give you an interesting way to look at it.
    If you believe in God, and he's fake, then there is no Hell.
    If you're an Atheist, and God is real, then you probably aren't going to Heaven.
    You see what I'm getting at?

Status
    Aug 2012
    I suffer from Premature

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
    I'll give you an interesting way to look at it.
    If you believe in God, and he's fake, then there is no Hell.
    If you're an Atheist, and God is real, then you probably aren't going to Heaven.
    You see what I'm getting at?
    I used to think that way too but that's not good enough anymore, what if you're a good person and still an atheist would you still go to hell? For not believing? And who could blame us, there are so many things out in the world that contradicts religion. And plus if god exists and is all knowing then god would understand why i'm an atheist, what if I donated to world hunger and homless shelters all my life and died saving a little girl from a moving car would god still send me to hell cause there was no proof for me to believe in his existence?

Status
    Jul 2012
    Stigmata

Quote Originally Posted by oShux View Post
    I used to think that way too but that's not good enough anymore, what if you're a good person and still an atheist would you still go to hell? For not believing? And who could blame us, there are so many things out in the world that contradicts religion. And plus if god exists and is all knowing then god would understand why i'm an atheist, what if I donated to world hunger and homless shelters all my life and died saving a little girl from a moving car would god still send me to hell cause there was no proof for me to believe in his existence?
    An interesting outlook, but I said "Probably". I don't know Religion as much as I use too, but I'm just giving you a different way too look at it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last»