Page 1 of 3 123 Last»
    Sith Lord of the Lawyers Darthlawsuit's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

God and Evolution

Something I have never understood is why there is a God vs Evolution debate. All Christians, Jews, and Muslims agree god created the universe. That means how everything in the universe works is according to God's plan. Everything works the way God thought it should work.

Therefore science would be the study of God's creation. Science has confirmed that over time beings evolve. If science (the study of god's creation) can prove evolution exists then wouldn't it merely confirm that God's plan is for us to evolve? If God's plan is to use evolution wouldn't denying evolution be denying God's grand scheme in favor of your own?

Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Re: God and Evolution

Science is simply us grasping the mysteries of the universe

Or maybe its just Science, idk

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    In death, there is peace.

If everything was created in seven days, why does it take nine months for a baby to be born?

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    >mfw

Science is humanity's way of understanding how higher powers/forces shape the reality we live in.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Much Blonde

Quote Originally Posted by Okami the butcher View Post
    If everything was created in seven days, why does it take nine months for a baby to be born?
    I doubt the seven days in the bible are the same days we have on earth. It most likely corresponds to various benchmarks in time.

Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

You say seven days... But without light there are no days. Days only exist on Earth due to the planet rotating. Before the sun and Earth existed there were no days on Earth. That phrase is incorrect according to God's laws.

Status
    Jun 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

If God created the Universe doesn't mean everything works the way god wanted it to work.
    Parents birth children. It doesn't mean the child does whatever the parents told it to. Real life is real life and it is unpredictable , but some things can be thought of before they happen however that does not mean you are psychic. Things can change and things often do all the time. Life is unexpected , but you should expect anything because lots of things are possible. God is a character that goes by many names in religious text , but that does not mean God is the creator outside of religion. If there were no humans would there be religion? There can be no religion without humans , but there can be humans without religion. Evolution is something that can happen when things unknown of eachother somehow get together, whether planned or not. Religion is an idea .. Humans and life came before religion. Religion cannot exist without life. However , Life can exist without religion.

TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polar Bear Furrr.

Evolution in some instances makes the idea of a God useless/unnecessary/questionable, which is a major problem for God-Lovers.

Last edited by ShishaMastah420; 08-29-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucky #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ausar View Post
    Science is humanity's way of understanding how higher powers/forces shape the reality we live in.
    ^ What my friend said most likely.But this always ends in flame wars between people.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oxford Comma

I once had a teacher tell me when arguing with her about religion, that she is Christian and believes in evolution and that the original word that was translated to "days" in the seven days thing, can also be translated as years or centuries or something like that. So, it could be an actual mistranslation, or that people favor the "days" thing more.

Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
    If God created the Universe doesn't mean everything works the way god wanted it to work.
    Parents birth children. It doesn't mean the child does whatever the parents told it to. Real life is real life and it is unpredictable , but some things can be thought of before they happen however that does not mean you are psychic. Things can change and things often do all the time. Life is unexpected , but you should expect anything because lots of things are possible. God is a character that goes by many names in religious text , but that does not mean God is the creator outside of religion. If there were no humans would there be religion? There can be no religion without humans , but there can be humans without religion. Evolution is something that can happen when things unknown of eachother somehow get together, whether planned or not. Religion is an idea .. Humans and life came before religion. Religion cannot exist without life. However , Life can exist without religion.
    We have a billion galaxies and within those billion galaxies are billions of solar systems and within those solar systems are huge amounts of objects. You mean to tell me that all of this was created just for our species?

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    King Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
    I wish I had a Giant foam hand to facepalm with.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawsuit View Post
    We have a billion galaxies and within those billion galaxies are billions of solar systems and within those solar systems are huge amounts of objects. You mean to tell me that all of this was created just for our species?
    In Christianity at least, extra terrestrial life is not fully explored.

Status
    Mar 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I guess that people link believing in God with blindly believing in the bible(therefore disagreing with evolution), which is a mistake. People can believe in a god withou closing their eyes to science.
    But seriously, this thread should be deleted. People will start arguing and insulting in here very soon. It's not your fault, though, I understand your intentions, but people always argue in this topic.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prime Kiba > your fav

I'm not going to enter this shithole ensuing

Banned
    Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    In death, there is peace.

I guess I'll just have to ask Action Jesus.

Status
    Mar 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Detective L View Post
    ^ What my friend said most likely.But this always ends in flame wars between people.
    Indeed. In this topic, mostly in the internet, there is no such thing as respect or tolerance. Every religious person is called dumb, atheists are called evil and soulless, and it goes on. I really tried to stop it once, and guess what happened? Both "sides" started to "atack" me.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    these people suck

In God's eyes one day is equal to a thousand years
    In that time I theorize God created everything and at the same time forms of evolution took place

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanna be SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I doubt the seven days in the bible are the same days we have on earth. It most likely corresponds to various benchmarks in time.
    We'll never really know, but in the original Hebrew in Breishit, the days of the week have the same names as the weekdays used in archaic and modern Hebrew.

The Snape of Naruto Snape Uchiha's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2012
    The kingdom Itachi rules after he pretended to die
    Post Thanks / Like
    50 points from Huffelpuff

Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    I once had a teacher tell me when arguing with her about religion, that she is Christian and believes in evolution and that the original word that was translated to "days" in the seven days thing, can also be translated as years or centuries or something like that. So, it could be an actual mistranslation, or that people favor the "days" thing more.
    I read the bible in Hebrew which I speak so it isn't a mistranslation. However it is clear that the seven days aren't referring to actual days. Otherwise the passage is basically meaningless, trying to explain Gods method of creation which we can't benefit from reading.

TheOriginalFatPapi ShishaMastah420's Avatar
    Status
    Apr 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polar Bear Furrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Warning View Post
    I'm not going to enter this shithole ensuing
    I wish more people of NB knew how to read the opening statements of a thread, instead they jump in read title and comment or they mis-read the opening statement and answer any rethorical questions used in said opening statement, SMDH.

Last edited by ShishaMastah420; 08-29-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

Quote Originally Posted by ShishaMastah420 View Post
    Evolution in some instances makes the idea of a God useless/unnecessary/questionable, which is a major problem for God a Lovers.
    I don't see why. He doesn't physically interact with anything even in the bible. He influences people and gives them knowledge. If we didn't evolve we would never change and better ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser View Post
    7 Billion years is about right for the creation of that is important to the bible, Earth. Back in those days people could count up to 10 maby 20. You told someone 7 billion they wouldn't understand what you just said.

Indeed. In this topic, mostly in the internet, there is no such thing as respect or tolerance. Every religious person is called dumb, atheists are called evil and soulless, and it goes on. I really tried to stop it once, and guess what happened? Both "sides" started to "atack" me.
    When you stand between two sets of Radicals and they both attack you then you know you are in the correct spot.

Last edited by Darthlawsuit; 08-29-2013 at 12:47 AM.

The Snape of Naruto Snape Uchiha's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2012
    The kingdom Itachi rules after he pretended to die
    Post Thanks / Like
    50 points from Huffelpuff

Quote Originally Posted by Ldude View Post
    We'll never really know, but in the original Hebrew in Breishit, the days of the week have the same names as the weekdays used in archaic and modern Hebrew.
    No, in the Hebrew the first day was called "One day" (Yom Echad), not the first day or sunday (Yom RIshon)

Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hungry

I'm not going to get into the entire god debate, because I am an Atheist, but I do have something to say to those who don't believe in evolution.

Have you ever had a bacterial infection, such as strep throat? If so, if you went to the doctor, they probably gave you some sort of antibiotic. Now, on the side of antibiotic bottles there is always a tag that says "Take the full course of medication prescribed" or something along those lines.

Do you know why that's there? It is because if you discontinue use, then some bacterial cells may remain. These cells will then become resistant to the antibiotic used, and then multiply as to repopulate their colony. Now, most of their offspring will also be resistant to the drug, so next time you have to use a stronger antibiotic to fight the same infection. This is evolution on a smaller scale, and it has MANY documented cases.

Status
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanna be SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by Snape Uchiha View Post
    No, in the Hebrew the first day was called "One day" (Yom Echad), not the first day or sunday (Yom RIshon)
    Yeah, but the rest of them were the same. >.<

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    -

Evolution does exist and is completely real, that's obvious. The mystery is whether or not evolution is divinely inspired or not and just how far back humanity's evolution goes.
    Science and religion are the different sides of the same coin. Simply put, humans trying to grasp the secrets of the universe. Both can be easily wrong or right, but we will never know. It's simple as that.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last»