Sith Lord of the Lawyers Darthlawsuit's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

Royal Marine With Handgun Saves 100 In Kenyan Mall Attack

One Royal Marine and one pistol saves close to 100 lives. Who says guns only kill?

Islamist radicals attacked and seized the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, killing dozens and wounding over 170.

The crisis is now over, and from the aftermath has emerged an armed hero, courageous and effective enough to give poor Piers Morgan nightmares.

The Daily Mail’s Paul Bentley and David Williams write:

A former marine emerged as a hero of the Nairobi siege yesterday after he was credited with saving up to 100 lives.

The ex soldier was having coffee at the Westgate mall when it was attacked by Islamists on Saturday.

With a gun tucked into his waistband, he was pictured helping two women from the complex.

His story emerged as sporadic gunfire continued to ring out from inside the mall early today as Kenyan security forces battled Al Qaeda-linked terrorists into a fourth day.

Despite Kenyan police assurances that they had taken control of the building, a security expert with contacts inside the mall said at least 10 hostages were still being held by a band of attackers, possibly as many as 13.

The former soldier is said to have returned to the building on a dozen occasions, despite intense gunfire.

A friend in Nairobi said: ‘What he did was so heroic. He was having coffee with friends when it happened.

‘He went back in 12 times and saved 100 people. Imagine going back in when you knew what was going on inside.’

Read the rest of this Liberty Alliance article here: http://libertyalliance.com/2013/09/e...jLxFbRhVWYH.99

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    In death, there is peace.

Re: Royal Marine With Handgun Saves 100 In Kenyan Mall Attack

Makes you proud to be English.

Status
    Feb 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best of the 2013 generation.

Guns kill. But if we get rid of guns, people will find more things to kill with.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow

Great story, but where does it say he actually used the gun?

If you're going to use a story to push a pro-gun stance, it should mention that the gun was actually used.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeezy taught me

Great story.

Status
    Sep 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Wow that guy sounds like the coolest and bad ass mofo ever. He has the real life will of fire!

Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin2640 View Post
    Guns kill. But if we get rid of guns, people will find more things to kill with.
    A gun is a tool and like all tools it is nothing without a human. I could leave a gun on a table for 10,000 years and nothing will happen. You put 300 humans on a deserted island with no human made objects around and you can be sure people will kill one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
    Great story, but where does it say he actually used the gun?

If you're going to use a story to push a pro-gun stance, it should mention that the gun was actually used.
    Using a gun doesn't mean being Rambo. He doesn't need to fire a single bullet, all he has to do is cover the fleeing people's backs so they can escape. Should a terrorist come by he may have to use it but it doesn't mean one will come by.

A gun can do a lot more than just fire at people, you should really go educate yourself.

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawsuit View Post
    A gun is a tool and like all tools it is nothing without a human. I could leave a gun on a table for 10,000 years and nothing will happen. You put 300 humans on a deserted island with no human made objects around and you can be sure people will kill one another.

Using a gun doesn't mean being Rambo. He doesn't need to fire a single bullet, all he has to do is cover the fleeing people's backs so they can escape. Should a terrorist come by he may have to use it but it doesn't mean one will come by.

A gun can do a lot more than just fire at people, you should really go educate yourself.

You're saying this article shows that guns can save lives. Nowhere in the article does it say that he used the gun in any way, firing it or just using it for show. Its just a poor example. Its clearly a story being misused to push a pro-gun agenda (might want to use different sources next time).

That being said, I wouldn't consider myself anti-gun. I dislike how groups like the NRA are completely unwilling to even discuss the idea that current gun laws might be a little dated, but I don't think we need to ban all types of weapons. I think we need to better enforce our current laws, and perhaps make minor alterations to current laws to do a better job of keeping them out of some people's hands.

Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

You're saying this article shows that guns can save lives. Nowhere in the article does it say that he used the gun in any way, firing it or just using it for show. Its just a poor example. Its clearly a story being misused to push a pro-gun agenda (might want to use different sources next time).

That being said, I wouldn't consider myself anti-gun. I dislike how groups like the NRA are completely unwilling to even discuss the idea that current gun laws might be a little dated, but I don't think we need to ban all types of weapons. I think we need to better enforce our current laws, and perhaps make minor alterations to current laws to do a better job of keeping them out of some people's hands.
    You have failed to read my reply... This was an armed civilian putting his life in danger to protect others from a group of maniacs. He was able to protect the ~100 people he saved because he could defend them with his gun. He hasn't talked much about the incident due to fear of backlash from those maniacs.

Current gun laws don't even have enough funding to enforce the laws on the book, what we need is enforcement of current laws. Why do we need more unfunded laws on the books? Tell me when you are going to enforce current laws and disarm the gangs and criminals who commit most crimes in the USA? Why are we also sending arms to Mexican drug cartels and every rebellion that happens across the world, even our leaders don't believe the disarming speak they preach.

Here you want a map of where criminals with guns are at, go get em: http://www.wbez.org/node/102612#gangmap

This is why our gun laws are not preventing the gang shootings in Chicago:
    National Rifle Association head Wayne LaPierre on Sunday ripped the national media for not reporting that Chicago, suffering from an epidemic of gun violence, ranks “dead last” in enforcement of federal gun laws.

“Let me hold up a mirror right now to the whole national news media and the White House,” LaPierre said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” Citing new 2012 data from Syracuse University, LaPierre said that out of 90 jurisdictions, Chicago ranks last.

“Why doesn’t NBC News start with ‘shocking news on Chicago, of all the jurisdictions in the country, Chicago is dead last in the enforcement of federal gun laws’?” he demanded. “Why don’t the national press corps, when they’re sitting down there with Jay Carney and the president and the vice president, why don’t they say, ‘Why is Chicago dead last in enforcement of the gun laws against gangs with guns, felons with guns, drugs dealers with guns?’”

NBC host David Gregory didn’t respond to LaPierre’s charge, instead asking only whether he and the NRA “support those as felonies.”

“Absolutely and we want them taken off the street,” LaPierre said. “If you’re the president and the vice president and the attorney general and your job is to enforce these laws against the — I’m talking about drug dealers, gangs and felons that are walking around with guns in the street — and you don’t do it, you bear some responsibility.”

Status
    Apr 2009
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Do Not Sow

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawsuit View Post
    You have failed to read my reply... This was an armed civilian putting his life in danger to protect others from a group of maniacs. He was able to protect the ~100 people he saved because he could defend them with his gun. He hasn't talked much about the incident due to fear of backlash from those maniacs.

Current gun laws don't even have enough funding to enforce the laws on the book, what we need is enforcement of current laws. Why do we need more unfunded laws on the books? Tell me when you are going to enforce current laws and disarm the gangs and criminals who commit most crimes in the USA? Why are we also sending arms to Mexican drug cartels and every rebellion that happens across the world, even our leaders don't believe the disarming speak they preach.

Here you want a map of where criminals with guns are at, go get em: http://www.wbez.org/node/102612#gangmap

This is why our gun laws are not preventing the gang shootings in Chicago:

From the details we have him being armed had no impact on the situation. He could have done what he did even if he didn't have the gun, therefore spinning the story to suggest he was able to save those people because he had a gun is misleading. Unless of course we get more details where the gun was actually used.

I agree completely that current laws lack the resources needed for enforcement, hence why I said we need to better enforce current laws. That's definitely the first step. But there are also holes in the current laws that need to be addressed.

Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

From the details we have him being armed had no impact on the situation. He could have done what he did even if he didn't have the gun, therefore spinning the story to suggest he was able to save those people because he had a gun is misleading. Unless of course we get more details where the gun was actually used.

I agree completely that current laws lack the resources needed for enforcement, hence why I said we need to better enforce current laws. That's definitely the first step. But there are also holes in the current laws that need to be addressed.
    Ok let us review the situation:
    Scenario #1- "I am a royal marine *shows gun* I need you to follow me and I can cover you while you escape"
    Scenario #2 - "I am an unarmed royal marine and I think we can run out that door safely if no one shoots at us"

I think I will trust the 1st guy over the second. Having a gun protecting you makes all the difference in a firefight and when helping civilians escape. Without firearms of your own you cannot have any type of safety or way to delay attackers.

The holes in current laws are called gun-free zones and politicians. Get rid of them and the holes are gone. I got nothing for the politicians, they keep giving free guns to criminals (also LA police were selling police equipment and confiscated items to unknown people and pocketing the profit)