Akatsuki Member USSJ Future Trunks's Avatar
    Status
    Nov 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Why are people putting so much importance on canonicity?

you know what canon means? its a body of works produced or sanctioned by a writer or group of writers. you can not be the writer but if you go down on record as saying something is canon to your works just as lucas did with expanded universe star wars, then theres nothing anyone can do about it. its canon.
    but why place so much importance on that in the first place? lucas was a bad writer. half the people spinning off his works have done better than he has. case in point the recent clone wars cartoon. that is excellent. and lucas didnt write it.

it doesnt matter is its canon or not. it only matters if its GOOD or worth talking about.
    the reply to "i like this" or "i didnt like this" or "this made no sense" is ALWAYS "its just non canon. who cares. its irrelevant" bla bla bla. that is a copout and excuse and part of the reason naruto fillers lagged so far behind in quality compared to say, bleach filler.
    the person bringing it p doesnt want to hear the "its non canon" excuse because they brought it up for a reason. to have meaningful discussion. if he wants to know why two 17s made a being stronger than buu, watch gt and find out why. dont sit there and complain and argue about canonicity. the OP didnt want to hear it.

no casual viewer is going to notice or give a shit if that one single planet is out of alignment or if a character has a power he shouldnt. and they arent going to give a shit about if it fits in either. plenty of sequels and movies have retconned what came before, or been taken over by different directors. sometimes its a good thing. we should want new talent coming in and showing us mindless entertainment. is it any surprise gt was cut off and ended when it did when it probably got a hundred nerds a day picking it to pieces?

at the end of the day, gt did its job and entertained enough kids to make a gigantic profit worldwide. it more than made its money back. was it great? no. was it entertaining for its age target? yes.

when your advising peopel who are new to anime, do you say to them, "skip a few seconds of the first episode. it wasnt in the manga, therefore i hate it to fukin death". i imagine they might not give a fuk and watch it anyway. this whole canonicity argument is ESPECIALLY pointless in db because you will never be able to find a single quote from toriyama telling us exactly what his canon is. hell i think hes never even heard of the word canon before.
    and if he did, post below where he did.
    probably because someone like him wouldnt care. he lets people watch whatever they want to watch. if they like the anime better, he is totally ok with that. when oda made film z, he knew from the getgo it wouldnt be canon. but he made it anyway because it was fun for him,and because it was a good movie for the anime watchers.
    probably because oda isnt as obsessed with what fits in the timeline as we are.

Status
    May 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Why are people putting so much importance on canonicity?

Totally true. + rep.

Fastest thing alive SonictheHedgehog's Avatar
    Status
    Feb 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fastest thing alive.

It's because this whole site is full of f*cking idiots.

Status
    May 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Quote Originally Posted by Youth and Full power View Post
    It's because this whole site is full of f*cking idiots.
    Can't argue with that logic lol

Banned
    Status
    Apr 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sara is the best
    #henrikisevil

Iam sorry what ?

Klad is the gingerbreadman P3ĮÑ's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Computers are like girls. It's
    whats in the inside that
    matters. I don't know about
    you, but I like my girls like
    I like my cases. Just as
    beautiful on the inside as the
    outside.

Dude this is NB, full of retards, what else would u expect

If one person agree with u, five others come and start flaming and be all over ur ass to make u look bad and act like straw mans, such is NB

Last edited by P3ĮÑ; 09-29-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's awesome how the best
    character in Bakuman is based
    on Eiichiro Oda

because filler isn't relevant to the main story in any way and therefore, most of the time, I don't care for it (especially in long running series) but if it's good I might enjoy it but I still ignore from the point of the canon story because fom the point of view of the canon material it NEVER happened