Page 2 of 2 « First 12
    Status
    Mar 2012
    You were always weird but I
    never had to hold you by the
    edges like I do now-

Re: Any Advice for a struggling high school student?

Eh seriously, what's the use of being in the best school around if it's not doing you good ? Change to other international schools, they are littered all over Dubai, my own friend is a graduate of an american-system school in there called Dubai International Academy. She enjoyed Physics and Maths especially there, and it has a great multicultural community.

Your school's reputation will not be of importance when your apply for University if your grades are low. And speaking of that, why bother with the British system(of which I am a graduate) if you want to head back to the States for Uni ? I had that plan in mind and I had to do SAT I anyway (I guess your case would include SAT II because you're in the scientific stream ?)

Now that you mentioned it, SAT I was relatively easy, I did it with my AS knowledge and got 1850. So yes, I understand the huge gap with initial mathematics to say the least .-.

Last but not least, change your courses into something easier than physics (Everybody I knew at school suffered from it). Talk to your parents, if you know anyone from another international school ask them about it. Good luck !

Status
    Feb 2013
    Jana can see why kids love
    Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Well shoot. I feel ya on the grades part, only except I don't study and am lazy. I am a B average student, with A's, B's, and C's. Go to a teacher in the morning and after school. Work you're tail off. Even if people don't like you at school, you have this base. Even though some members are stupid as shit, most of us are actually decent people that you can come to. I have been going to the same sets of schools for a long time and have never moved, so making friends is relatively easy for me. Just try to be funny. It always works.

Status
    Apr 2011
    #panneverfails

Watch The Inbetweeners and learn how to fit in.

Seriously though, that sucks, but remember, it's not the end of the world. Try to find joy in something and latch onto that. Have fun. I can't imagine your situation in most areas, but opening up and feeling comfortable at school is hard. I didn't feel comfortable and myself until my High School years.

I know my advice blows, but just try to make it fun.

Status
    Oct 2011
    This user has no status.

Find some thing productive to do that you love, and stick with it.

Status
    May 2013
    #inspired

I know where you are at. I was a B student and never really fit in anywhere except choir and band. Try an extra curricular activity to blow off some steam and get to know people. I went through a rough junior year and had to repeat it but I stuck through it the second time and the following year I graduated. I know there is a difference in education levels. Reminds me of Uni and how the expectations were higher than what I had learned. For one you need to be realistic about what you want out of life or at least make the short term goal of finishing HS. I know it must feel real dark and cold because you don't have any friends there and moving around you feel like why even bother making friends. But if you believe in yourself and make the effort to at least try up to your capacity then there is nothing you can't do.

If you are serious about wanting to pass then speak with the headmaster (principal) and tell him the truth. Let him know that you want to be on their level but you need help and money is tight with your family. It sucks that it isn't like America where there are loads of people ready to help you for free. I hope things get better for you, seriously. If you ever want to talk to vent or just need someone to listen to you I am all ears. You can also reach me via skype if you want.

Please don't be sad.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Kamui snipe GG

I didn't read your thread, but here's my advice.

If you're smart, don't overwork yourself. I never had to study, I went strictly off taking notes in class and I would ace a test.

If you're not too smart, work your ass off.

In the social aspect of it, don't stress yourself. I talk to very few of the people I knew from High School.

Status
    May 2013
    Men have become the tools of
    their tools.

Have you thought about asking your dad to get you a tutor? Sounds like you could benefit from one. If your still failing after that then i think your dad needs to move you schools. The best school for you is one you can succeed in.

As for the friends, just keep trying. I know its hard to make new friends in a new country but it will work out in the end. Ignore those kids calling you names, they only want a response from you and if you give it to them then they will continue. If you ignore them then they will get bored and stop.

Best of luck

OH LONG JOHNSON edo tensai wilmaso's Avatar
    Status
    Feb 2012
    This user has no status.

stopped reading after you said the US education system is good ... no it kinda the worst for a g8 country maybe thats why you are failing ... U.S skools to easy

Page 2 of 2 « First 12