Killing Time #3 - Nevada Middle School Shooting & Gun Control -
Yes, it happened again. Yes, both the Right, and the Left are going to use it to bicker over Gun Control, or lack thereof. The Right is going to say that if a teacher had been armed, he/she could have stopped it. The Left will say that NO ONE aside from military, and police needs guns. There's an underlying problem here though, and it's a big on. But first... what happened this time?
"The school week at a northern Nevada middle school got off to a tragic start Monday when a student opened fire outside the school's entrance. NBC's Joe Fryer reports."
That was the verbal headline. The reason why? No one is quite sure yet. A 12 year old male, who's name has not yet been made widely known, opened fire on a teacher, and two students. Well, more than that, but that's all he actually hit. There is this little tidbit though;
"Although authorities have not specified a motive for the attack, a student told the Reno Gazette-Journal that the suspected gunman said he had been teased.
“I heard him saying, ‘Why you people making fun of me, why you laughing at me,” student Michelle Hernandez told the newspaper."
Ahh... It's probably a classic. Back to gun control. There's a few good reasons that CIVILIANS should own guns, and a few reasons they shouldn't, let's have a look at'em.
- Self-defense. We don't live in a perfect world, and guns can be a hell of a deterent AGAINST crime. As well as against any outside force that gets the balls to invade the U.S.
- People hunt, it's almost a God given right. It's regulated, and legal, and Rednecks all over will riot if it's taken away from them anyways.
- There's always the possibility that the Govt will turn against it's people, although I for one don't believe the current administration is a threat.
- There will always be *******s, idiots, and insane people out there with access to guns. This will lead to lives lost without good reason.
- The NRA. I'm not saying that everyone in it is a moron, but it would seem it's leadership has no sense of morality. That's a group of people hell-bent on violence, and stupidity.
- This is almost the same as the first.. But there's always a chance kids will get a hold of their parents weapons, and bad things happen. Bottom line is that if you can't handle owning, and keeping track of a gun, you don't need one.
You guys n' girls can deduce what you want from all that, but my opinion is that we need a better way of enforcing the laws we already have, maybe some stricter measures, and we need to add a few new ones. Like an assault weapons ban? You bet your ass I'm for that. Yes, the Govt has bigger, faster guns that way, but a good rifleman is better than any moron with an M-16. On the other hand, if we could institute better regulations on it... like...
- Not having any kids.
- Having a stainless steel safe for it..
- Passing a full Mental Health test...
Then I guess there's no reason why a few people can't own them. Although, those three ideas up there might be good for anyone wanting a gun.
What do you guys think? What should be done, and what shouldn't be done?