View Poll Results: After READING THIS ENTIRELY.. What do you think?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Gun Control

1 25.00%
  • More Guns

1 25.00%
  • Neither

2 50.00%
  • I don't know/care

0 0%
    Senior Member Cyanide Addiction's Avatar
    Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do or do not... There is no
    try.

Killing Time #3 - Nevada Middle School Shooting & Gun Control -

Yes, it happened again. Yes, both the Right, and the Left are going to use it to bicker over Gun Control, or lack thereof. The Right is going to say that if a teacher had been armed, he/she could have stopped it. The Left will say that NO ONE aside from military, and police needs guns. There's an underlying problem here though, and it's a big on. But first... what happened this time?

"The school week at a northern Nevada middle school got off to a tragic start Monday when a student opened fire outside the school's entrance. NBC's Joe Fryer reports."

That was the verbal headline. The reason why? No one is quite sure yet. A 12 year old male, who's name has not yet been made widely known, opened fire on a teacher, and two students. Well, more than that, but that's all he actually hit. There is this little tidbit though;

"Although authorities have not specified a motive for the attack, a student told the Reno Gazette-Journal that the suspected gunman said he had been teased.
    “I heard him saying, ‘Why you people making fun of me, why you laughing at me,” student Michelle Hernandez told the newspaper."

Ahh... It's probably a classic. Back to gun control. There's a few good reasons that CIVILIANS should own guns, and a few reasons they shouldn't, let's have a look at'em.
    The Good
    • Self-defense. We don't live in a perfect world, and guns can be a hell of a deterent AGAINST crime. As well as against any outside force that gets the balls to invade the U.S.
    • People hunt, it's almost a God given right. It's regulated, and legal, and Rednecks all over will riot if it's taken away from them anyways.
    • There's always the possibility that the Govt will turn against it's people, although I for one don't believe the current administration is a threat.

The Bad
    • There will always be *******s, idiots, and insane people out there with access to guns. This will lead to lives lost without good reason.
    • The NRA. I'm not saying that everyone in it is a moron, but it would seem it's leadership has no sense of morality. That's a group of people hell-bent on violence, and stupidity.
    • This is almost the same as the first.. But there's always a chance kids will get a hold of their parents weapons, and bad things happen. Bottom line is that if you can't handle owning, and keeping track of a gun, you don't need one.

You guys n' girls can deduce what you want from all that, but my opinion is that we need a better way of enforcing the laws we already have, maybe some stricter measures, and we need to add a few new ones. Like an assault weapons ban? You bet your ass I'm for that. Yes, the Govt has bigger, faster guns that way, but a good rifleman is better than any moron with an M-16. On the other hand, if we could institute better regulations on it... like...
    • Not having any kids.
    • Having a stainless steel safe for it..
    • Passing a full Mental Health test...

Then I guess there's no reason why a few people can't own them. Although, those three ideas up there might be good for anyone wanting a gun.
    What do you guys think? What should be done, and what shouldn't be done?

Status
    Jun 2013
    where no man has ever dared to enter before
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Re: Killing Time #3 - Nevada Middle School Shooting & Gun Control -

the thing is, if people really want to kill someone, they are going to find a way to get a gun. legaly or not. i think we should put more resources on helping kids not getting depressed and stressed or to filter them out of public places better then on not selling them guns.

also thats personal opinion but i will be afraid to go to school if i knew my teacher had a gun.

Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    try.

Quote Originally Posted by EnDash View Post
    the thing is, if people really want to kill someone, they are going to find a way to get a gun. legaly or not. i think we should put more resources on helping kids not getting depressed and stressed or to filter them out of public places better then on not selling them guns.

also thats personal opinion but i will be afraid to go to school if i knew my teacher had a gun.
    Yeah, people will find ways to kill other's, or try, but shooting them is generally a quick way to do it. I'd have a good chance to stop a knife, baseball bat, or hell even a sword. I have no chance of stopping a bullet.
    Yes, the NRA wanted to give guns to teachers. Oh how many problems can we point out with that idea?

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Restricting guns by law will only affect the people who obey the law.

Killers and murderers will just find weapons on the black market.

Status
    Apr 2008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only for a short time.

Issuing a gun law is like taking candy off a baby in a candy store.

Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    try.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sky- View Post
    Restricting guns by law will only affect the people who obey the law.

Killers and murderers will just find weapons on the black market.
    That's not always true, but I'll concede that it's true a lot of the time.. In cases like this, the kid simply needed to not get a hold of it, which is why I say there needs to be some sort of law that enforces gun safety in that sense. Or a very strong penalty for parents who don't educate their kids better about guns, and in general keep their guns locked up, and out of reach except for when they're with the kid. I mean I live with a guy who's very pro-gun, who has kids. Do either of these kids seem like the type to bring any of those guns to school? Hell no. They were raised right, given attention like they were suppose to be, and educated right.
    When I say educated right, I mean they understand what it is to use a gun the wrong way. They're not going to go on a rage fit at school with one. If they have a problem they're more likely to tell someone like their father, or mother, or even a school official. Hell, maybe even a police officer, would just depend on the situation.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanide Addiction View Post
    That's not always true, but I'll concede that it's true a lot of the time.. In cases like this, the kid simply needed to not get a hold of it, which is why I say there needs to be some sort of law that enforces gun safety in that sense. Or a very strong penalty for parents who don't educate their kids better about guns, and in general keep their guns locked up, and out of reach except for when they're with the kid. I mean I live with a guy who's very pro-gun, who has kids. Do either of these kids seem like the type to bring any of those guns to school? Hell no. They were raised right, given attention like they were suppose to be, and educated right.
    When I say educated right, I mean they understand what it is to use a gun the wrong way. They're not going to go on a rage fit at school with one. If they have a problem they're more likely to tell someone like their father, or mother, or even a school official. Hell, maybe even a police officer, would just depend on the situation.
    Point taken. Gun laws wouldn't help the kid. The second half of your post I agree with though. People are too lazy too teach their kids right, and so many other people bully without even realizing it.

However, no gun law could've stopped the kid from getting the gun without keeping millions of other people from getting guns as well.

The issue here is parenting, not gun control

Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    try.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sky- View Post
    Point taken. Gun laws wouldn't help the kid. The second half of your post I agree with though. People are too lazy too teach their kids right, and so many other people bully without even realizing it.

However, no gun law could've stopped the kid from getting the gun without keeping millions of other people from getting guns as well.

The issue here is parenting, not gun control
    I don't know man, there's also a lot of crazy people out there with guns. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if people had to have a mental health evaluation before being allowed to own a gun. \
    As for the kid? Well better incentive to keep guns away from kids might've helped. Let's face it, we're far enough in to this kinda crap that we should've done something already. I say, if your kid takes your gun, is under oh say... 14, and kills a bunch of people, you get at least 2 years behind bars for every person they killed, and a year for every person they shot.

Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    try.

Also, if we gave every other teach or something in school a gun.. it would probably turn out a bit like this..

Yes I had to wrap it in spoilers tags.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diabolical

Raise the firearm tax

look it's unrealistic to completely ban guns not that, that was ever on the table because it wasn't one of the main issues is privacy a lot of people think that the process of buying a gun is too envasive but I'm of the mind that if you have something to hide then you probably don't need a gun right?...

Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    try.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Adam View Post
    Raise the firearm tax

look it's unrealistic to completely ban guns not that, that was ever on the table because it wasn't one of the main issues is privacy a lot of people think that the process of buying a gun is too envasive but I'm of the mind that if you have something to hide then you probably don't need a gun right?...
    Exactly.....
    I am less worried about upsetting people than I am over the wrong people having them. Let's be honest... My Fiance's father owns a shit load of guns. He likes to hunt. What are the chances of him actually using them on some douchebag who got a gun off the black market? Very slim, and why? Because It's not his job to go after them unless they come after you first. I'm not very materialistic, but if some **** decides to rob me at gunpoint... he'd still better be prepared to use it, because I don't feel any need to give up my shit that I earned without making him ultimately pay the price. If he kills me, oh well, I can almost guarantee that moron won't get away with murder. I hope what he takes was worth it.

Last edited by Cyanide Addiction; 10-22-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Sith Lord of the Lawyers Darthlawsuit's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

The school was a gun-free zone. The shooter didn't care, he was on a suicide mission and didn't give a shit what the laws were. More signs will not stop them, an armed teacher can. Which do you think would stop a shooter:

Or

I'll take the second one, it will strike fear into those who want to shoot our school and make them go shoot up some unarmed school.

Status
    Aug 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I'm sure the little dude would have simply eventually found himself a different weapon (e.g. a katana, pipe-bomb or a box-cutter) even if he didn't have access to a gun.

Status
    May 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I wonder, has bullying been getting worse or is it because people are becoming more aware? What happened to the old fashioned way of getting your feelings out, fighting one on one, bare fists? These gun wielding people are getting more and more cowardly. smdh

Sith Lord of the Lawyers Darthlawsuit's Avatar
    Status
    Dec 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need additional Phylons

Quote Originally Posted by Deviation View Post
    I wonder, has bullying been getting worse or is it because people are becoming more aware? What happened to the old fashioned way of getting your feelings out, fighting one on one, bare fists? These gun wielding people are getting more and more cowardly. smdh
    No it is the "no tolerance policy". Used to be if you fought another kid then getting into the fight was your punishment. Now if you get into a fight your treated worse than a rapist. Instead of having a few fist fights to solve issues the problems get to the boiling point and these shooting happen. Best way to stop this is to let the bullied fight their bullies without the bullies friends around.

Status
    Jan 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    try.

Darthlawsuit, I have to tell you... you've got all the logic of a Fox "New's" anchor. I can't tell whether you actually believe this, or whether you're just trolling.