Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Indigo Child oShux's Avatar
    Status
    oShux is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,079
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's up NB
     

    This applies to everyone

     
         

  2. #2
    Riker Slade's Avatar
    Status
    Riker Slade is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    M.a.a.D City I run my n***a
    Posts
    31,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your arms are just too short
    to box with God.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Because atheism and Christianity are the only beliefs around.
     
         

  3. #3
    Indigo Child oShux's Avatar
    Status
    oShux is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,079
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's up NB
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    Because atheism and Christianity are the only beliefs around.
    In my opinion atheism isn't a belief at all in fact it's the opposite it's the lack of belief. And besides they're just examples, you telling me every single belief is supposed ot be up there?
     
         

  4. #4
    You will burn Veritas. Sir Blades of Chaos's Avatar
    Status
    Sir Blades of Chaos is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    You would never guess, but its at my house ;)
    Posts
    15,583
    Post Thanks / Like
    #TH United.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    I agree with that.
     
         

  5. #5
    <insert title here> Hipster's Avatar
    Status
    Hipster is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Luxerion
    Posts
    7,797
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oxford Comma
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    Because atheism and Christianity are the only beliefs around.
    No, they're just the only important ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by oShux View Post
    In my opinion atheism isn't a belief at all in fact it's the opposite it's the lack of belief. And besides they're just examples, you telling me every single belief is supposed ot be up there?
    It's still a belief, because you believe that there's nothing. Nothing is something, and that's what you believe in.
     
         

  6. #6
    DBZ FOR LIFE SharinganisOP's Avatar
    Status
    SharinganisOP is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think Logically
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Being whatever you want is okay, and saying whatever you want about whatever or whoever you want is also okay. As long as you don't try and pass off things that are opinions as truths.

    They are just words, nothing more. Words can have an effect on us, but only if we let them.

    Physically harming someone who has a different opinion is not okay though.

    And just saying, being any of those things in the name of Christianity should be okay based on past experiences considering people broke a commandment in the name of Christianity and they did it a lot. Though shalt not kill, yet they killed so many people in the name of Christianity...
     
         

  7. #7
    Harmless Reaper Hemsey's Avatar
    Status
    Hemsey is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    With Maddie <3
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Dude. Yoruichi is my
    waifu.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    I agree. Let people live their lives..Don't force shit down people's throats. Because in the end none of us know whats real and whats not until we die...
     
         

  8. #8
    Ali Bomaye Europa's Avatar
    Status
    Europa is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    3,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    She think I'm a window of
    opportunity, close curtains.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Basically; Don't be a dick and shut other people's views down (Or try to) simply because your views are different.
     
         

  9. #9
    Mikasa es mi casa . Ackerman-'s Avatar
    Status
    Ackerman- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    with Mikasa/Esdese/Konan/Rui/Kanon.
    Posts
    27,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attack on Titan/Akame Ga
    kill/Code
    Breaker/Coppelion/Deadman
    Wonderland = Favorite mangas.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Detheroc View Post
    Basically; Don't be a dick and shut other people's views down (Or try to) simply because your views are different.
    Bingo ^ I'm an Atheist & I don't go telling anyone that God is not real & asking them for dem Manga phax. lol .
     
         

  10. #10
    Beyond the Boundary Fiddstx's Avatar
    Status
    Fiddstx is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    0-
    Posts
    6,281
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Ceilings
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    That doesn't apply to everyone.

    It should though, would save us from a lot of pointless discussions.
     
         

  11. #11
    Mikasa es mi casa . Ackerman-'s Avatar
    Status
    Ackerman- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    with Mikasa/Esdese/Konan/Rui/Kanon.
    Posts
    27,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attack on Titan/Akame Ga
    kill/Code
    Breaker/Coppelion/Deadman
    Wonderland = Favorite mangas.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddstx View Post
    That doesn't apply to everyone.

    It should though, would save us from a lot of pointless discussions.
    Your sigs tho
     
         

  12. #12
    Member Jonesy161's Avatar
    Status
    Jonesy161 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    699
    Post Thanks / Like
    What happens if you're scared
    half to death twice?
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerγία View Post
    It's still a belief, because you believe that there's nothing. Nothing is something, and that's what you believe in.
    Atheism is not a belief in nothing. Whoever keeps telling you that has a wrong view on Atheism. Atheism is indeed the lack of belief in deities. Atheism also doesn't mean to discourage the belief of others. We are supposed to be open to opinions and are willing to believe whatever may convinces us. That's why as an Atheist, people tend to ask the question "Do gods exist?". From that stand point, we may, possibly, never come across an answer to that question, thus never accepting the belief in a single god.

    So if you meet an Atheist that refutes any belief in another religion, then it's not the fact of being an Atheist, it's the fact that the person is a completely *******. Same goes for if they were a Catholic, a Buddhist, a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, etc. They just simply hide behind that facade as easily as we are willing to blame that religion.
     
         

  13. #13
    <insert title here> Hipster's Avatar
    Status
    Hipster is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Luxerion
    Posts
    7,797
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oxford Comma
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy161 View Post
    Atheism is not a belief in nothing. Whoever keeps telling you that has a wrong view on Atheism. Atheism is indeed the lack of belief in deities. Atheism also doesn't mean to discourage the belief of others. We are supposed to be open to opinions and are willing to believe whatever may convinces us. That's why as an Atheist, people tend to ask the question "Do gods exist?". From that stand point, we may, possibly, never come across an answer to that question, thus never accepting the belief in a single god.

    So if you meet an Atheist that refutes any belief in another religion, then it's not the fact of being an Atheist, it's the fact that the person is a completely *******. Same goes for if they were a Catholic, a Buddhist, a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, etc. They just simply hide behind that facade as easily as we are willing to blame that religion.
    No, Atheism is the belief that there are no deities. Not that we're open minded about converting, but there are none whatsoever. Now, with that in mind, it's safe to say that Atheism is the belief in nothing, so in a sense, it's still a belief.

    Perhaps you're thinking of (and correct me if I've got the wrong word or definition) Deism. That is where you believe something exists, but you refuse to worship it for whatever reason.
     
         

  14. #14
    Member Jonesy161's Avatar
    Status
    Jonesy161 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    699
    Post Thanks / Like
    What happens if you're scared
    half to death twice?
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerγία View Post
    No, Atheism is the belief that there are no deities. Not that we're open minded about converting, but there are none whatsoever. Now, with that in mind, it's safe to say that Atheism is the belief in nothing, so in a sense, it's still a belief.

    Perhaps you're thinking of (and correct me if I've got the wrong word or definition) Deism. That is where you believe something exists, but you refuse to worship it for whatever reason.
    When you find a definition for Atheism that says "The belief that there are no deities", I'll take my leave. However, Atheism is the lack of belief or disbelief, neither of which means belief in no god. Lack of belief means just that, lack of believing. Disbelieve means refusal to believe, which once again means lack of belief.

    Secondly, deism is the belief in a deity with refusal to part take in that way of life. In no way, shape, or form did my description of Atheism describe that. I described the lack of belief with willingness to be openminded to valid opinions in hopes to answer the question "Does a god exist?". However, without solid proof for that atheist, the chance they'll find your opinion valid is slim.
     
         

  15. #15
    Riding a spider SpiderRider89's Avatar
    Status
    SpiderRider89 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~I'm just too strong~
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by oShux View Post
    Happy Jell-O agrees.

     
         

  16. #16
    Facts > You. scorezor's Avatar
    Status
    scorezor is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    9,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    fluck this.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    i don't get it why people insist in pointless things that don't have solid proof in...
     
         

  17. #17
    Evil Boy Genius Jack Spicer's Avatar
    Status
    Jack Spicer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DWMA
    Posts
    17,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~Making my way downtown~
     



    Re: This applies to everyone

    Just don't be a Richard Grayson. I agree.
     
         

  18. #18
    ChAnGe ThE wOrLd Shichi's Avatar
    Status
    Shichi is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Shattered Realms
    Posts
    4,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    California Show Me Love.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    Because atheism and Christianity are the only beliefs around.
    I know right. *le sigh* Some people fail to realize there's other religions
     
         

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Status
    kishiuzumaki is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Near The End
    Posts
    3,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by rikerslade View Post
    Because atheism and Christianity are the only beliefs around.
    Then why do i believe in Buddhism buddy .
     
         

  20. #20
    Sterling Malory Archer's Avatar
    Status
    Sterling Malory Archer is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Konoha
    Posts
    10,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cookies
     



    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Detheroc View Post
    Basically; Don't be a dick and shut other people's views down (Or try to) simply because your views are different.
    ^ We need more people like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by scorezor View Post
    i don't get it why people insist in pointless things that don't have solid proof in...
    There's a lot of things in this universe that doesn't have solid proof. Does that mean they don't exist?
     
         

  21. #21
    ロロノア・ゾロ Caliburn's Avatar
    Status
    Caliburn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dressrosa
    Posts
    16,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.
     



    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by oShux View Post
    In my opinion atheism isn't a belief at all in fact it's the opposite it's the lack of belief. And besides they're just examples, you telling me every single belief is supposed ot be up there?
    It's a believe, more precise you believe that there isn't a god (or gods). Whether you believe something is there or don't believe something is there, doesn't matter as in the end you still believe, what you believe is just different.

    Same thing is when someone makes you choose between two options. If you decide to not take one of the two provided options, you still made a decision. The act of not deciding can be considered making a decision.

    The believe maybe atypical, it's nonetheless a belief, a belief in absence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerγία View Post
    No, they're just the only important ones.


    It's still a belief, because you believe that there's nothing. Nothing is something, and that's what you believe in.
    On the first part that's not true. Those quotes apply as much to the Islam and even Judaism as they do on Christianity and atheism. Or you place atheism against theism, which automatically contains all the (major) religions or you place atheism against the most prominent religions. Only placing atheism against Christiantiy is not only wrong, it will only cause problems as what you are saying now is that apparently only those two groups have problems and that all the others are completely clean. Islam is as much a major group as Christianity and atheism. Logically you can't start talking about every single religion in existence (hence why just using theism would have been the most ideal formulation), however if you are going to list specific religions, you should in the least name all the major ones.

    You're correct about the 2nd thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy161 View Post
    Atheism is not a belief in nothing. Whoever keeps telling you that has a wrong view on Atheism. Atheism is indeed the lack of belief in deities. Atheism also doesn't mean to discourage the belief of others. We are supposed to be open to opinions and are willing to believe whatever may convinces us. That's why as an Atheist, people tend to ask the question "Do gods exist?". From that stand point, we may, possibly, never come across an answer to that question, thus never accepting the belief in a single god.

    So if you meet an Atheist that refutes any belief in another religion, then it's not the fact of being an Atheist, it's the fact that the person is a completely *******. Same goes for if they were a Catholic, a Buddhist, a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, etc. They just simply hide behind that facade as easily as we are willing to blame that religion.
    Actually your view can be considered on itself wrong as apparently you seemingly assume that 'atheism' only has one clear definition, while that term is interpreted differently depending on the context. Theologists and philosophers don't look at it the same way. I'm neither a grand philosopher and certainly not a theologist and I think that applies to most people on NB. So for people like us the most simple definition for us of atheism is placing it against theism: not believing in god/gods against believing in god/gods, thus making our point valid that it's still a believe. You are using a far more unconventional definition and interpretation of atheism which is, in the least, not a more 'correct' interpretation than ours.

    Not to mention what you are describing sounds hell of a lot more like agnosticism than atheism. I, even though traditionally I'm a catholic, consider myself an agnost in the most simplistic definition of that term, meaning I neither believe nor disbelieve. I currently don't see any reason to believe in a god because science provides, in my opinion, more viable and trustworthy alternatives, however at the same time I neither rule out the possibility that there might be something bigger. Honestly said I personally find your definition of atheism not very appealing as it makes them appear like whimsical, indecisive people who change religions whenever it floats their boats.

    To me it's simple: atheist and theists are opposites and the agnost stands in the middle of them. That's definitely not a correct, universal truth, however I'm pretty sure that for the most normal layman, like me, that's the most used and understood interpretation of those terms.

    PS: To the maker of this thread, next time you will be infracted as what you are doing is in fact one-picture post spamming, which is against the rules. Provide your own input from the start.
     
         

  22. #22
    -Yard-'s Avatar
    Status
    -Yard- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Narutobase
    Posts
    25,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: This applies to everyone

    I have neither a strong belief or a strong disbelief. I'm completely indifferent between the two and don't really care one way or the other. So, does that just make me indifferent?
     
         

  23. #23
    Member Jonesy161's Avatar
    Status
    Jonesy161 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    699
    Post Thanks / Like
    What happens if you're scared
    half to death twice?
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
    It's a believe, more precise you believe that there isn't a god (or gods). Whether you believe something is there or don't believe something is there, doesn't matter as in the end you still believe, what you believe is just different.

    Same thing is when someone makes you choose between two options. If you decide to not take one of the two provided options, you still made a decision. The act of not deciding can be considered making a decision.

    The believe maybe atypical, it's nonetheless a belief, a belief in absence.



    On the first part that's not true. Those quotes apply as much to the Islam and even Judaism as they do on Christianity and atheism. Or you place atheism against theism, which automatically contains all the (major) religions or you place atheism against the most prominent religions. Only placing atheism against Christiantiy is not only wrong, it will only cause problems as what you are saying now is that apparently only those two groups have problems and that all the others are completely clean. Islam is as much a major group as Christianity and atheism. Logically you can't start talking about every single religion in existence (hence why just using theism would have been the most ideal formulation), however if you are going to list specific religions, you should in the least name all the major ones.

    You're correct about the 2nd thing.



    Actually your view can be considered on itself wrong as apparently you seemingly assume that 'atheism' only has one clear definition, while that term is interpreted differently depending on the context. Theologists and philosophers don't look at it the same way. I'm neither a grand philosopher and certainly not a theologist and I think that applies to most people on NB. So for people like us the most simple definition for us of atheism is placing it against theism: not believing in god/gods against believing in god/gods, thus making our point valid that it's still a believe. You are using a far more unconventional definition and interpretation of atheism which is, in the least, not a more 'correct' interpretation than ours.

    Not to mention what you are describing sounds hell of a lot more like agnosticism than atheism. I, even though traditionally I'm a catholic, consider myself an agnost in the most simplistic definition of that term, meaning I neither believe nor disbelieve. I currently don't see any reason to believe in a god because science provides, in my opinion, more viable and trustworthy alternatives, however at the same time I neither rule out the possibility that there might be something bigger. Honestly said I personally find your definition of atheism not very appealing as it makes them appear like whimsical, indecisive people who change religions whenever it floats their boats.

    To me it's simple: atheist and theists are opposites and the agnost stands in the middle of them. That's definitely not a correct, universal truth, however I'm pretty sure that for the most normal layman, like me, that's the most used and understood interpretation of those terms.

    PS: To the maker of this thread, next time you will be infracted as what you are doing is in fact one-picture post spamming, which is against the rules. Provide your own input from the start.
    I applaud your interpretation or view point of what Atheism might be. However, I was using the EXACT definition of Atheism given by both Oxford Dictionary and Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Those 2 are OFFICIAL dictionaries, in which they use the word according to it's correct context (though I wouldn't trust Webster so much as Oxford). Atheism is, in fact, not a belief or religion. It is, in fact, a lack of belief in any god or gods.

    Just to elaborate more on what Atheism is broken down... Atheism is not a 100% belief on there is no deity out there. It is a conclusion based on the evidence supplied to us. That doesn't mean there is evidence no god exists. It means that there is NO evidence that gods DO exist. Without proof of it, we take the route of not believing at all. That's why most Atheists (and any who doesn't should learn from this post) are in fact still open for possible reasoning, explanations or alternate evidence to support the existence of any one god. That means, if someone, somewhere, finds actual evidence on a specific god and proves their existence, an Atheist can and most likely will change their minds about their opinion as they have no other thing to believe in.

    Another example can be mythological questions. "Does bigfoot exist?", "Are their aliens?", etc. Now, if you believe in their existence, by all means, pursue it, continue believing, nothing wrong in that. However, if your answer was NO, does that mean you believe they don't exist? Or you instead based the answer off of rational thinking, saying to yourself, I see no evidence, I see no point in wasting my time on it. Does your conclusion mean that it's a belief? No, it does not.

    So basically, all Atheists SHOULD be open books, fresh unwritten pages in which someone can enlighten you on their faith. To become an Atheist is not to deny all religion, it's a rational decision based on your conclusion via the question "Do gods exist?". If one claims to be an Atheist and slanders all other religions, most likely, they're still religious but had a tragic past and wish to deny their faith, that or they're just a complete jerk.

    The reason this is such a common misconception upon Atheism is due to the lack of the English Vocabulary throughout history. The general new Atheist tends to say "I believe there is no god" which is incorrect for an Atheist to say. They should instead say "I find no evidence to support these said gods" or "I don't believe in any god".

    In short...
    Theism=Belief in something
    Atheism=No belief at all
     
         
    Last edited by Jonesy161; 11-30-2013 at 01:51 AM.

  24. #24
    ※ NB's Polymath ※ BlacLord's Avatar
    Status
    BlacLord is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Back home.
    Posts
    8,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't judge me by your usual
    standards.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerγία View Post
    No, they're just the only important ones.


    It's still a belief, because you believe that there's nothing. Nothing is something, and that's what you believe in.
    Uninformed much?

    There are more Muslims than Atheists and probably more Buddhists too.

    OT: No, it's an utter oversimplification.

    @Caliburn Atheism is clearly defined, if you want to talk about variations, there are appropriate terms that have already been coined (Secularity, Agnosticism, Irreligion etc.).
     
         
    Last edited by BlacLord; 12-01-2013 at 11:16 PM.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Status
    MuhiSaid is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Crawley, UK.
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like
    On an eternal male period.
     

    Re: This applies to everyone

    The word ‘atheism’ comes from the negative ‘a’ which means ‘no,’ and ‘theos’ which means ‘god.’ Hence, atheism in the most basic terms means ‘no god.’ Basically, atheism is the lack of belief in a god, and/or the belief that there is no god. By contrast, theism is the belief that there is a God, that he is knowable, and that he is involved in the world. Most atheists do not consider themselves anti-theists, but simply non-theists.

    I've encountered many atheists who claim that atheism is not a belief system, while others say it is. Since there is no official atheist organization, nailing down which description of atheism to use can be difficult. Nevertheless, the following are some definitions offered by atheists. Whichever definition you go by, atheism denies God.

    •"An atheist is someone who believes and/or knows there is no god."
    •"An atheist lacks belief in a god."
    •"An atheist exercises no faith in the concept of god at all."
    •"An atheist is someone who is free from religious oppression and bigotry."
    •"An atheist is someone who is a free-thinker, free from religion and its ideas."
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •