• Add a theme to each contest instead of the generic "themeless" approach

The results are hidden 0%
  • Remove the "NB" reference necessity

• Reduce to 1 picture per submission

• End the contest

• Make it a voting only contest (basically, remove the selection that is made before voting)

• Make it a selection only contest (basically, staff will pick who wins like in AoTW)

• Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography

• Edit the rules (make a post explaining what edits you suggest)

• Make it a Trimonthly based contest

• Increase the prize pool or introduce new prizes (if feasible and possible)

• Keep it as it is just give it more time

Multiple Choice Poll.
    Status
    May 2008
    Disturb the Remains... Leave
    none resting.

PhoTM - Solutions and Future of the Contest!

PhoTM - Solutions and Future of the Contest!

Ok, as you guys know, this contest was and is experimental due to its unique objective: to take pictures and photos in RL involving NB in some way. Now, the first 2 contests were awesome. Plenty of entries, excellent level entries, etc. A good, near perfect start. However, in photm #3, not many submissions were entered. Its true that those who did enter were amazing and on the highest grade possible (LssJBroly's submission is indeed epic). However, the fact remains that the contest had to stay open much longer to have enough entries to hold it. So its clear there is an issue with the contest.

Now, although I am the mod who came up with the contest and I am the one who is holding it, I cannot be the one to bring it activity. The activity and the interest in the contest needs to come from the community and those who participate in the contest. Its the members who have to make it work so to speak.

Now, gathering the complaints, suggestions, inputs, etc of members and some of my fellow staff peeps (namely Lawliet and Rei who are more linked to the contests) I came to the conclusion that we need to see what you guys wanted and what sollutions you wanted for the contest.

So, not only can you post here as I'll also put a poll with the main issues, possible solutions and overal outcome so you can vote but also write your input.

Once that is all done, I'll gather that info and decide on what to do. Okay?

Changes, Solutions and Other:

-More time for submissions

-Add a theme to each contest

-Remove the "NB" reference necessity

-Reduce to 1 picture per submission

-End the contest

-Make it a voting only contest (basically, remove the selection that is made before voting)

-Make it a selection only contest (basically, staff will pick who wins like in AoTW)

-Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography (we'd give a HQ photo which contestants would need to work and edit (color, corrections, etc) and the best edit would be the winner)

-Edit the rules (make a post explain what edits)

-Make it a Trimonthly based contest

-Increase the prize pool or introduce new prizes (if feasible and possible)

-Keep it as it is just give it more time

Status
    May 2013
    D e a d :<

Re: PhoTM - Solutions and Future of the Contest!

Will vote later (for the theme suggestion) as I have something to add about your suggestions, Scorps.

First of all, un-ban me from the discussion thread.
    Thank you!

Secondly, these (only a few) suggestion points of yours are in my opinion kindly not needed.
    Explanation stated;

-More time for submissions | No, one month is enough. I know that we lacked many subs in the 3rd contest, but that just happens. Many voted and as I said before a theme would be cool.

-Remove the "NB" reference necessity| No, why? That makes the contest actually super, like the last three winners submissions, simply fantastic! A sign of NarutoBase in real life is actually pretty awesome, also in that way we can make sure no one is cheating. xD

-End the contest| When it just began? I doubt that will happen, just give it time. >~<

-Make it a selection only contest (basically, staff will pick who wins like in AoTW)| Voting is more appreciated in this case of contest.

-Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography (we'd give a HQ photo which contestants would need to work and edit (color, corrections, etc) and the best edit would be the winner)| No, not everyone is a star in editing and GFX'ing, for example; myself.
    And that is kind of similar to other contests like; the SotW contest. Which makes this contest less special.

-Make it a Trimonthly based contest| Way too long. But special on the other hand, but then again way too long.

-Increase the prize pool or introduce new prizes (if feasible and possible)| Not needed. The prizes are as good as they are now.

I actually find the award of the AoTW more fitting here.

-Keep it as it is just give it more time.| Few changes are needed, but yes I like the contest on how it is right now. Though extra time is not needed, every contest has his ups and down. A theme would motivate other members but without a theme too.

Status
    Dec 2010
    I thought to my self why
    scream? They're going to kill
    me either way what difference
    will it make? I sat silent as
    they eat the flesh off my
    bones

No, 1 month is enough really.

yes decide different themes for each contest, themes can be repeat after few months.

dont care

yes, participant should post his best pic only.

-End the contest
    Noooooo

-Make it a voting only contest (basically, remove the selection that is made before voting)
    For this I say if there are more than 10 submisions, no selection should be done, and if there is more than 10 submissions, Mod can choose best 10 pics from submissions. ( 10 is just fine according to me, Mod can decide what is best)

-Make it a selection only contest (basically, staff will pick who wins like in AoTW)
    Noo,

-Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography
    Noo,
    totally agree with Yasmine, this is a contest for photography, not for editting plz, this would be totally like SOTW with just Mod providing renders this time.

No,

dont care, jus change the Medal Gif if possible, Thanks.

Status
    Odin, why did you get my 2
    little bears terminated ? U_U

More time for submissions
    I don't think we need more time to submit, a month is quite enough.

Add a theme to each contest
    It really depends. You'd have to be creative and also realistic with the choice of theme. The issue I see is running out of theme ideas. But if you're up to it, I guess it would add a bit of a spark and I am sure this will prompt more people to join. ((:

Remove the "NB" reference necessity
    No way. I think the NB reference makes the contest unique and it makes the contest more creative.

Reduce to 1 picture per submission
    I posted 3 pictures that were just variations of the each other, leaving it up to you to pick the best variation. Other people like to post 3 completely different photos, and I feel as though they could have saved the other pics for the next contests because often they are all as equally great as each other. Posting all their pics with different ideas behind them in one go can often leave them stuck for ideas for the next contest and this could be something contributing to why there has been less entries - people have run out of ideas. So yes, maybe reducing it to one picture per submission could really benefit the future of the competition as people's ideas for a photo can be dragged over multiple contests instead of posting all their ideas for a photo in one contest.

End the contest
    No, I don't want it to end and there is obviously interest in the contest. Yes, there were few participants in the last contest, however, there were 59 voters. This is up from 45 voters in the previous contest.

Make it a voting only contest (basically, remove the selection that is made before voting)
    I like the selection process personally, so I don't like the idea of its removal. However, I guess it wouldn't hurt it to become a voting only contest. If you were to implement it, I back Thor's suggestion.

Make it a selection only contest (basically, staff will pick who wins like in AoTW)
    That would be easier, and I guess the contest would run a lot quicker, however it takes away people who aren't competing involvement in the contest. If I haven't submitted, I like the idea of being able to somehow put my input in to who wins, therefore, I say we keep it so that anyone can vote (:

Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography (we'd give a HQ photo which contestants would need to work and edit (color, corrections, etc) and the best edit would be the winner)
    No thank you. This leaves a lot of people disadvantaged. Not everyone has access to photo editing software for one. I agree with what Yasmine said.

Make it a Trimonthly based contest
    I guess this would work in garnering more submissions per contest. It would make it a special contest that people are looking forward to and want to participate in because it is so special. The only issue I see are impatient people who can't wait 3 months xD

Increase the prize pool or introduce new prizes (if feasible and possible)
    It isn't the prizes that is the issue xD

Keep it as it is just give it more time
    If you were to make changes, the theme suggestion - so NB based around a theme and the 1 photo per submission would be the main ones I'd say. But the contest how it is, is absolutely fine. The issue is people have run out of or have no ideas and need to get creative. So that could also be why a theme could be good, it at least gives people an idea to base their photo around, the only thing left for them to do is to be creative.

Status
    May 2013
    Where there is hatred, let me
    sow love.

After reading trough other people's opinions and reviews I would like to give my own.

I will just say that this is an interesting and funny competition that needs maybe some little work to make it even better. The only thing I would add to it is having 11 months with a special theme and one month where we can choose what we want to submit without a theme. One month which is given to create your submission is already enough. It about our laziness or not knowing what to submit that ends up in having only few people submitting. If we had a particular theme that we had to base our submission on it could become more interesting and we could see how other people see NB from their angle in the one particular situation.

More time for submissions
    No. This is an absolute no. One month is alreadyenough to create your submission.

Add a theme to each contest
    This would actually be cool. Because every month just submitting random pics with no particular theme gets boring after a while. We could have like once a year,one month being a free theme,but 11 months submission with a theme.

Remove the "NB" reference necessity
    Well this is NB contest and it makes it special. For every other contest we are based on something else and in this contest we are based on NB in real life and where we see it. How we visual it and so on.

Reduce to 1 picture per submission
    Well we are the one that can choose if we want to submit one picture or three. It is pretty much up to use if we want to submit more then 1 picture. Nobody said it is a must to submit 3 pictures but we were given possibility to do so. The only thing that you can add is that if you want to submit 3 pictures that they must be at the same theme or something similar so people can use different ideas for next months.

End the contest
    No! Although I didn't make nice submissions in 2 contests that I applied for I love this competition and plan to make something better in next months.

Make it a voting only contest (basically, remove the selection that is made before voting)
    Hmm. I dislike this idea. There are better submissions and there are worst submissions. It is best for you to choose best submissions and then we can choose who is going to win the main prize out of those who you choose to compete for the main prize. If it is made for people to choose out of all submissions it can turn into popularity contest.

Make it a selection only contest (basically, staff will pick who wins like in AoTW)
    Nop. It is good as it is now.

Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography (we'd give a HQ photo which contestants would need to work and edit (color, corrections, etc) and the best edit would be the winner)
    It is about a picture that is represented. Not about our level of photoshop skills.

Make it a Trimonthly based contest
    It is already long as it is now. No,there is no need for this. It is not that we need this much time to make submission. We already have idea for what we want to do but are too lazy to make it.

Increase the prize pool or introduce new prizes (if feasible and possible)
    There is no need for this.

Keep it as it is just give it more time
    Keep it as it is. There is too much time as it is now.

Last edited by Akasha; 11-06-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Fire and Blood.

I voted, but I will insert my personal suggestions on the topics you raised and answer them as well

• More time for submissions

Yeaaaah, no. There's plenty of time already. The contest is new, people tend to forget easier about it (I know I do). So maybe you could comment on the discussion thread one week before it's closed or somewhere around that time to remind the contestants. I've seen some people forgetting about it, so it would be good, at least for a few months, to make a reminder earlier (like a week, not a day before )

• Add a theme to each contest

I like that. It will make the contest more interesting. Of course, adding a theme might be challenging because there's already a "theme" (the NB prefix), so I would suggest to make wide and general themes that can be easily implemented into a picture, for example winter/Christmas/rain/food/drinks etc,etc. Generally, I like this idea very much.
    This will also make the discussion thread more lively since we can comment and suggest there.

• Remove the "NB" reference necessity

Meh, no I like it. It adds an originality point to the photos and it makes the contest more special for the base. Also, it not difficult to it add in a photo.

• Reduce to 1 picture per submission

Yes, since there's only one picture chosen to go to the finals, I don't see the necessity of adding 3. Maybe for some people it adds more work since they want to submit 3 great photos. I think it's easier to go with just one. On the other hand, I don't feel that this is something that influence the contest this much.

• End the contest

No. Just because the last contest didn't have that many submissions doesn't mean that it should end. People like it and many vote on that. So no.

• Make it a voting only contest (basically, remove the selection that is made before voting)

Yes, I really like that too. At this point, when the valid submissions usually are not more than 10, I don't see why choosing only three. Some people maybe discouraged that they never go to the final poll but taking some votes, even if they don't win might encourage them to re-enter next month and try harder. So in case there's no more than 10 (as Thor mentioned) entries, just roll with it.

• Make it a selection only contest (basically, staff will pick who wins like in AoTW)

Oh, hell to the no. First off, there are so many voters each time, more than 50 mainly, so it seems that people like to vote on this contest. Second, one judge thing is baaaad. Even when you try to stay uninfluenced, the likes and dislikes, personal opinion etc will influence your choice. Things like that happen and since this contest is judged on a variety of things that are wide and depend mainly on someones perspective about what is "nice" and "good", it will never work. The only thing it will achieve is arguments for the result (something already happened once).

• Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography (we'd give a HQ photo which contestants would need to work and edit (color, corrections, etc) and the best edit would be the winner)

Meh no. We have contest for GFXing skills, not everyone has access or is good with editing programs and to be honest editing photos is boring and not interesting.

• Make it a Trimonthly based contest

There's already more than enough time. This will kill it. Contests that drag too much are dying after a while imo.

• Increase the prize pool or introduce new prizes (if feasible and possible)

Maybe, but not that important. The medal is kinda ugly and outta place though. The AotW match better with this contest.

• Keep it as it is just give it more time

Make a few changes, but give it some time too. One not so successful month out of three is not a good sample to measure the success of a contest. (by give it more time I mean give it more time to bloom not extend it in time)

Last edited by Aertes; 11-06-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Status
    May 2008
    none resting.

so, the main changes asked were:

-Themes for contests
    -1 photo per submission
    -making it a solely voting contest

Status
    Dec 2012
    The Assassin of The Wood

no, 1 month is enough

yeah, definitely

No, I like it

Yes, only 1 picutre

-End the contest
    No!! It's fun, I like this contest, even though I participate once.

Only if there are many participants (10 or more)

Only if there aren't many participants (less than 10)

-Make it a contest based on Photo Editting rather than photography (we'd give a HQ photo which contestants would need to work and edit (color, corrections, etc) and the best edit would be the winner)
    No, only making the quality better, or adding a color effect, or else you'd get a GFX-based contest.

-Edit the rules (make a post explain what edits)
    No, it's good right now

No

Yes, I PMed you once, long ago, an award, maybe that one could be introduced

-Keep it as it is just give it more time
    Only a few small changes, like a new award, adding a theme, and maybe one picture only

Sorry if I'm kinda late

Status
    Sep 2010
    "I'm suprised you know
    such useless things. This is
    the first time since birth
    that I've admired you. By the
    way, will you be eating that
    cake?”

Quote Originally Posted by Scorps View Post

-Themes for contests
    -1 photo per submission
    These are actually the 3 main changes imo too. Though I may also voice out my personal opinions too, but overall, those changes could prove highly beneficial.

Though, if we are making it a voting contest. I think, we should start making it, a send-by-PM system of submission, so that participant's names remain anonymous during voting

Status
    May 2013
    D e a d :<

-Themes for contests
    -1 photo per submission
    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    These are actually the 3 main changes imo too. Though I may also voice out my personal opinions too, but overall, those changes could prove highly beneficial.

Though, if we are making it a voting contest. I think, we should start making it, a send-by-PM system of submission, so that participant's names remain anonymous during voting
    Add descriptions (suggestion), like in Caliburn's art contest.

@Bold; no, it's like more official in here. Plus many participant's can send theirs pics too late like in the FUB and then whine about it in the voting/discussion thread. Mods can close this thread and one can't argue with that. I can see lots of problems coming when using pms as to send our submissions. Plus you got to write down the "I wish to take part" sencentce here anyway. :0

Last edited by Paramour; 12-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Status
    Jan 2013
    Fire and Blood.

-Themes for contests
    -1 photo per submission
    Pretty much yesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Escorpiius View Post
    Pm system eliminates the "vote for this pic cause I like this member" thing, even though I don't think this particular contest has many votes that are cast this way. Anyway, it's a good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmīne View Post
    @Bold; no, it's like more official in here. Plus many participant's can send theirs pics too late like in the FUB and then whine about it in the voting/discussion thread. Mods can close this thread and one can't argue with that. I can see lots of problems coming when using pms as to send our submissions. Plus you got to write down the "I wish to take part" sencentce here anyway. :0
    If a dead line is set I don't see why anyone would argue about a late entry. This only happens when the contest holder is lenient with late entries or doesn't keep the thread schedule. Short time contest may also be a reason for late entries/complains. On the other hand, most contests have a due date and it's kept (unless an extension is given) and I hardly ever seen anyone complaining about the submission time.
    This doesn't seem like a problem to me. Such thread can also be useful to encourage more members to enter the contest.

Status
    May 2008
    none resting.

This week I'll post a new contest. Xmas as a theme in general or the hollidays in general. Still unsure.

For now, I'll keep the thread system working because its honestly easier for me to handle but the pm type of submission might work in the future.

I'll make it a voting contest as we can already check the ips of those who vote so no alts can be used and overall the friend thing works with or without pms as once the pictures are posted people can pm eachother and say "hey, vote for number #2 its my submission" so its not like it becomes anonymous anyway.

Any more suggestions?

Status
    Dec 2012
    The Assassin of The Wood

This week I'll post a new contest. Xmas as a theme in general or the hollidays in general. Still unsure.

For now, I'll keep the thread system working because its honestly easier for me to handle but the pm type of submission might work in the future.

I'll make it a voting contest as we can already check the ips of those who vote so no alts can be used and overall the friend thing works with or without pms as once the pictures are posted people can pm eachother and say "hey, vote for number #2 its my submission" so its not like it becomes anonymous anyway.

Any more suggestions?
    Well I actually thinks this system might be better than solely voting. And an other suggestion would be a new award

Status
    Feb 2013
    Naruto ended ! Sasusaku
    <3 is canon! Sarada is
    Gorgeous! This naruto
    journey is over Bye bye Naruto
    . Bye bye Narutobase.

This thread is sticky and not closed

So is it ok to give my opinion ?

This .

I like the NB idea but since there is "themes"

It becomes hard for NB to be involved.

I think its better if it was optional at least .

Also i think its better if we had some texts explaining the entry .

----

What I don't like about the contest (In my opinion )

That after awhile most pictures will be similar (if its about NB .)

Overall the idea of photography contest Is great .It would be sad if it ended .

Last edited by Fayeoff; 02-05-2014 at 05:23 AM.