Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Fans not complaing about the Japanese dub being bad as often as an English dubs?

Similar to my thread "When are the Japanese dubs considered 'crappy'?", I'm asking for opinions on why fans might not complain about the Japanese dub being bad (like on forums or YouTube) as often as an English dubs.

I'm not talking about simply "I preferred the dub over the sub" but more of "I prefer the dub over the sub because the Japanese voice(s) for said character(s) sucked".

I think the most common ones I see is how at times certain male characters sound too girly in the Japanese version (DB's Goku especially) or how annoying girl characters can be with their high-pitch voices.

Mafia Boss in Training Young Vongola's Avatar
    Status
    May 2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fans not complaing about the Japanese dub being bad as often as an English dubs?

I think the main reasons why a lot of people think sub > dub are:
    1) Watched sub first. People are bound to prefer what they originally got into over a change.
    2) Most anime watchers don't really know Japanese, so a different language sounds "cooler" to them + we can't tell if a person in Japanese is speaking differently from the others. We just know if we like the pitch of their voices or not. In English we can tell if they're speaking in a choppy way, mispronouncing things, etc because we actually speak English and it's easier for us to pick up on those things.

Status
    Aug 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attack on Titan.Akame Ga
    Kill.Coppelion.Terra
    Formars.Tokyo
    Ghoul:Re/Favorite on-going
    mangas.

Re: Fans not complaing about the Japanese dub being bad as often as an English dubs?

I prefer sub , there's nothing better than the original ...but there's dubs out there that I've really enjoyed .

Stuck in Limbo GloriousTrainwreck's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    And to top it off: Pudding a
    ma Terasu-mode.

One reason why you won't see too much Jdub complaints is because watchers are used to it. A lot of people I know have found listening to English awkward because of the fact that they were watching anime in Japanese for years and that they feel uncomfortable with the change.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't judge me by your usual
    standards.

Because the majority of people don't understand Japanese itself, they just make a uninformed judgement. But because they understand English, they can pick out the tiniest mistakes in the English Dubs and moan endlessly.

But with the Japanese VAs, the majority don't speak a single word or know all of the inflections and so, won't know when mistakes have been made and so, just assume it's perfect.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surpass the best to be the
    best.

I prefer subs the only anime I prefer dub is Dbz Goku's voice is annoyin in sub

Status
    May 2011
    Post Thanks / Like
    1.One Piece 2.Toriko 3.HxH

The only anime that I prefer dub over sub is Eureka 7. Most Japanese voice actors/actresses are very talented like the OP voice acting cast.

I mean they put a lot of energy in what they do. I'm not saying the eng. dub voice actors don't but they aren't at that level yet of Japanese voice actors.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    In search for memories...

I preffer sub better than dub because I want to watch my shows in the original version like the authors imagined it, and not some censored, modified version wich usually turns out terrible. The same goes for non-anime stuff. If English people made a cartoon ofc I'm going to watch it in English instead of Japanesse dub. So this isn't really about the language but the quality instead.
    OT: A lot of dubs for anime suck just go see the 4Kids ones... u.u

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Momma San View Post
    The only anime that I prefer dub over sub is Eureka 7. Most Japanese voice actors/actresses are very talented like the OP voice acting cast.

I mean they put a lot of energy in what they do. I'm not saying the eng. dub voice actors don't but they aren't at that level yet of Japanese voice actors.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHmaster View Post
    I preffer sub better than dub because I want to watch my shows in the original version like the authors imagined it, and not some censored, modified version wich usually turns out terrible. The same goes for non-anime stuff. If English people made a cartoon ofc I'm going to watch it in English instead of Japanesse dub. So this isn't really about the language but the quality instead.
    OT: A lot of dubs for anime suck just go see the 4Kids ones... u.u
    Do you guys have a working command of Japanese?

Status
    Jan 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    a box of dreams

Since I don't speak Japanese it'll be illogical to criticize it, and it also sounds better; the characters have more swags....when they speak Japanese.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    "One time Kyoya kicked me
    in the face... it was
    awesome."

I mostly watch the first episode in sub and the second in dub. Then I choose.
    But 99% I pick sub because many German Voiceactors suk. But Death Note 4exmp I watched dubbed, because the German Voiceactors for Kira and L were great!

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I'm not asking bout why a person may favor 1 version over the other, I'm asking why fans might not complain about the Japanese dub being bad (like on forums or YouTube) as often as an English dubs.

I'm asking that the responses be about the bolded statement.

Esdeath, your statement about nothing being better than the original isn't exactly true:
    -ShogunGino in Escapist Magaizin's "Can the Japanese make a bad dub?" thread,
    "It has been reported that Shinichio Watanabe, director of the Cowboy Bebop anime, prefers the English dub over the Japanese one. It has also been reported that Japanese fans of Code Geass prefer Johnny Yong Bosch's English portrayal of Lelouch over Jun Fukuyama. Apparently, they felt's Fukuyama's performance was too melodramatic for their tastes while they felt Bosch's performance was more natural sounding."
    I've actually seen both claims on other websites.

Young Vongola, GloriousTrainwreck and BlacLord, I thank you for responding to the bolded part that this thread is about.

Last edited by Kadmos1; 03-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Status
    Jun 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos1 View Post
    I'm not asking bout why a person may favor 1 version over the other, I'm asking why fans might not complain about the Japanese dub being bad (like on forums or YouTube) as often as an English dubs.

I'm asking that the responses be about the bolded statement.

Esdeath, your statement about nothing being better than the original isn't exactly true:
    -ShogunGino in Escapist Magaizin's "Can the Japanese make a bad dub?" thread,

I've actually seen both claims on other websites.
    And the answer to your question is that they don't understand Japanese, so they just think it sounds cooler and then it's apparently automatically better. If they spoke Japanese, they would know that Japanese VAs can be just as bad and just as erroneous as English ones.

The only dubs I've known to be genuinely bad more often than not is French dubs:

Banned
    Status
    Jul 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Silence is bliss,
    remember that before you
    speak"

Its a matter of preference.
    Although,Japanese are famous for schools focused on voice acting more so than any other place on the earth.
    So case in short on average you'll never hear anyone complain about Japanese voice casting,there usually superior.

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

For the last, please stick only to the bolded opening statement.

Just because someone doesn't really speak Japanese doesn't that would prevent them from criticizing. For example, if a person was reading a manga that has been officially released into English and they have gotten enough understanding of that manga's setting/characters and they watch an anime version that came out later on, I think that they could criticize a Japanese performance because sometimes even a Japanese performance may not portray the essence of a character as it was in the manga. With this, sometimes an English dub voice may actually portray that character essence the way the manga does.

Last edited by Kadmos1; 03-22-2014 at 10:49 PM.

♥ Mei Terumi's Apprentice Kazehime Kumiko Sakura's Avatar
    Status
    Mar 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    " Gone forever! I'm no
    longer the jinchuriki you
    created..Father" -Gaara

I like both dub and sub but for gaara I prefer his deep voice from the dub

Status
    Oct 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Concerning the complaint I hear that there are times where it sounds like dub voices are reading from a script when they are saying the lines, I've seen videos where seiyuu are reading from a script when they speak the lines.

The complaints about mispronunciation in English dubs? I'm used to that and this is partially because English has had centuries of mispronouncing foreign words. From what I understand, because of feudal Japan largely shunning itself from the outside world, I thjink this means that they have less of a history of mispronouncing Indo-European words because they were so closed off. When Japan opened up in the 1850s-60s, this enabled that opportunity.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your spirit never dies,
    farewell, I've gone, to take
    my throne above, don't weep
    for me, cuz this will be the
    labour of my love.

Alot of people base their choice off of which sounds better (like me), but some, as stated above, make their decision because they don't actually speak the language and whatnot.

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yo, Yo, Yooooooooooooo

Only anime I hate in japanese is dbz english is bad ass matter fact best dubbed anime

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to balance work and
    school while writing in my
    spare time.

It's just a lack of Japanese viewers and reviewers, honestly, cause how is an English-speaking person supposed to know if a sub performance is done badly, outside of having mismatched voices? The Japanese dialect just makes certain tones of voice sound completely different from those done in English, so it's hard to tell what sounds cheesy or badly done. On the flipside, though, it's pretty easy for me to point out "good" performances (I can tell you right now that Haruhi Suzumiya and Taiga from Toradora! are two of the best subs I've ever heard).

Last edited by Chakra Wizard; 03-23-2014 at 04:57 AM.

Status
    Post Thanks / Like
    In search for memories...

Quote Originally Posted by BlacLord View Post
    Do you guys have a working command of Japanese?
    What do you mean? o.O

Status
    May 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

The reason why dubbing is always are worse:
    They sync the characters mouth movements with the original language. And when they dub it, they have to match the mouths of the characters. So in this case, they have to match English sentences with Japanese mouth movements. That's why it always sounds so choppy and awkward, because they are taking out the natural rhythm of their voices.

IMO the original language is ALWAYS better, which just happens to be Japanese for anime. It is not just anime either, if I watch a foreign film I'll watch it in its natural language with subs.

Status
    Mar 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to balance work and
    school while writing in my
    spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by razinzell View Post
    The reason why dubbing is always are worse:
    They sync the characters mouth movements with the original language. And when they dub it, they have to match the mouths of the characters. So in this case, they have to match English sentences with Japanese mouth movements. That's why it always sounds so choppy and awkward, because they are taking out the natural rhythm of their voices.

IMO the original language is ALWAYS better, which just happens to be Japanese for anime. It is not just anime either, if I watch a foreign film I'll watch it in its natural language with subs.
    Most do, unfortunately, but you can't deny a fair amount do a great job overcoming the lip syncing issue and still sound natural. There are even a good deal that are widely considered better, even by the original creators in some cases (Bebop, Black Lagoon, Baccano!, DBZ to an extent, etc.).

And I disagree with the first point, cause even the Japanese don't manage this all the time (it's more rare nowadays since animation's gotten better, but still).

Status
    May 2013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hide a tree in a forest, and a
    ship among big ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakra Wizard View Post
    It's just a lack of Japanese viewers and reviewers, honestly, cause how is an English-speaking person supposed to know if a sub performance is done badly, outside of having mismatched voices? The Japanese dialect just makes certain tones of voice sound completely different from those done in English, so it's hard to tell what sounds cheesy or badly done. On the flipside, though, it's pretty easy for me to point out "good" performances (I can tell you right now that Haruhi Suzumiya and Taiga from Toradora! are two of the best subs I've ever heard).
    Pretty much this sums up why, in my opinion.