Status
    Mar 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out there

Sage mode requirements

Lately I have been thinking about sage mode and it's origins and something interesting came to my attention when I did some extra manga reading on sage mode and the toads.

ONLY 4 shinobi have used sage mode, this is quite staggering. Naruto and Jiraiya are sages of recent times the only other two sages are Ma and Pa frog and they are approx 800 years old. So at least 800 years has past until the next two sages appeared (Naruto and Jiraiya). As you can see there's a very short list to the sage club. Note there's a lot of shinobi that have failed in the past,all the frog stone statues at toad mountain.

So far all we know about sage mode is you need large amounts of chakra AND guts. Surely there must have been shinobi in the past with those attributes and yet so many have failed. Not even many toads can use sage mode, only Pa and Ma frog can use it so a toad contract doesn't increase the chances either. There is also the Great Toad Sage (大ガマ仙人, Ōgama Sennin).

"Sage" can also refer to an individual renowned for their great power, wisdom, or holy standing. I think the Great Toad Sage is called a sage because hes lived a long time and with age(1000+) comes wisdom, also lets not forget he can see the future in his dreams adding to his all knowing demeanor. Similarly the Sage of Six Paths also could have been called a sage for same reasons. He was the first to understand the mysteries of chakra illustrating his wisdom, which back then would have looked godlike among others. Not to mention he had great power to save the world from the Jubi and got even more power after he became its host. And finally he also was a holy man, he originally was Monk and started to preach a his own religion, Nin-shuu which later became modern ninjutsu but used for power not peace like the So6P intended.
    (Naruto 446 | Read naruto chapter 446 manga online | Manga Share, Naruto 446 | Read naruto chapter 446 manga online | Manga Share)

So I'm assuming, the Great Toad Sage and the Sage of 6 paths are sages because of their wisdom/power/holiness. Other wise you'd think pa frog would mention the Great Toad Sage as one of Naruto's predecessor of sage mode. But I can be wrong, if either one of them are shown using sage mode in the future.

There must be a unique requirement to use sage mode similar to bloodline limits, only time will tell.

Some people are thinking that Sage mode is a bloodline limit but there has been 4 sages seen using sage arts all of which are not genetically related. So bloodline limit is not a good way to describe this rarity in the history of Naruto.

Another possible theory going around is, maybe just like how a shinobi has an affinity to a certain nature element like wind, a shinobi may need an affinity to Natural energy to use sage mode. This could explain why only 4 shinobi in the history of Naruto have used sage mode. This actually doesn't sound so far fetched as you can have an affinity to a certain animal to use it as a summoning. Jiraiya had a very good affinity to the toads as he was able to come into contact with the toads even before signing a blood contact via the summoning technique. This could have something to with the degree of how well you are able to use natural energy. Though you could also argue this was fate as the toad sage predicted this would happen and same goes for Naruto in a way, as he too ended up being the destined child which the toad sage predicted also. The toad sage didn't predicted it would be Naruto but he did predict it would be one of Jiraiya's students.

I think this is quite interesting and I'm hoping Kishi elaborates more about Sage Mode's origins.

Edited:

I didn't want to start a new thread or anything because I see the toad sage mode being an important step for Naruto to become a complete sage like Madara(Uchiha+senju) will be with the rinnegan. Also this would be a good way for kishi to explain more about toad sage.

Madara now has the following that makes him a complete So6P.
    1) So6P's power (Uchiha+senju)

• A So6P body - Senju clan inherited.

• Life force energy -Senju clan inherited

• Spiritual energy - Uchiha clan inherited

• So6P's chakra - Uchiha clan Inherited

2)So6P's eyes (Rinnegan), Uchiha Madara has the sharingan so he needs the Rinnegan. The elder son inherited them from his father but the Uchiha clan did not. This the one key difference that keeps true to the fact that the Rinnegan is extremely rare and there aren't any clans filled with Rinnegans like the Uchiha clan with the sharingan.
    (http://read.mangashare.com/Naruto/ch...2/page012.html)

So alot are thinking either Sasuke or Naruto could pull a Madara and between them they could get some competition for madara.

But I have 3 problems with this.
    1) Naruto killing Sasuke for his eyes, simply isn't his style and would make all that painful "your friend" stuff for nothing. Keep in mind he said he won't kill sasuke which at the time was painful to hear but after learning about what madara been up too I'm glad he said that.
    2) Naruto with a bloodline limit a eye techniques would bother the hell out of me.
    3) Don't you guys think it would sweet revenge if Madara got owned by someone without a bloodline limit considering all of that Madara talk of "can't touch me" attitude.

I think Naruto ALREADY has got all the pieces to the puzzle to make a complete sage SIMILAR to Madara.

Naruto is a distant blood relative to the senju.
    So this means Naruto has inherited something comparable to the So6P's body and the Uzumaki clan are blessed with a long life expectancy which can be translated into strong life force energy. This was particularly obvious when Naruto used the fox's pure chakra and his chakra now reacted with Yamato's wood jutsu. I'm guessing the extra chakra amplified his chakra's characteristics to be more like the senju clan, they are DISTANT relatives after all.

He also just got a large amount of the fox's chakra which is the Yang(Spiritual) part, which is also a strong spiritual energy. Also Naruto is a Toad sage so he has sage eyes, obviously not the Rinnegan like the So6P but nevertheless.

So Naruto has all the comparable components of the So6P's sons shared amongst each other from the So6P.

1) A comparable So6P body as the Senju clan via his lineage with the Uzimaki clan.
    2) Life force energy also comparable to the one the Senju clan inherited.
    3) Spiritual energy thanks to the yang(spiritual) part of the fox's chakra. Again also could be comparable back to the Juubi and the So6P.
    4) Sage eye's via senjutsu, again not the same as So6P but sage eyes of sorts.
    6) And finally sage chakra also via senjutsu.

I don't think nor want Naruto to be the next Sage of Six Paths but he certainly can be a Representative.

Naruto is predicted to cause a great change to the Naruto world like the So6p did, but why does he have to do it old school style(So6P). Naruto is a new type of sage of his own right, in fact that would be great way to end the series whether Naruto lives or dies.

Last edited by psukkar; 09-17-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Status
    Mar 2009
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sage mode requirements

This is a very concise and well thought out theory! I think you're defiantly on to something...

Status
    Sep 2010
    Where the treasure of Gold D Roger is located
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I belive Naruto will try stop Madara to get the powers of the sages but he wont take them for himself and on a sidenote. If Naruto is one of these 6 Madara have to kill Naruto first to obtain all 6 but of course Naruto isnt sure about that he's on of those that he will hunt the powers aswell in order to stop him.

Status
    Mar 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out there

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshigaki Kisame akatsuki View Post
    I belive Naruto will try stop Madara to get the powers of the sages but he wont take them for himself and on a sidenote. If Naruto is one of these 6 Madara have to kill Naruto first to obtain all 6 but of course Naruto isnt sure about that he's on of those that he will hunt the powers aswell in order to stop him.
    You took madara words too literally. He didn't mean he was second path or Nagato was third. All he meant is that madara and nagato the second and third persons to obtain the complete power of the so6P.

Last edited by psukkar; 09-17-2010 at 04:46 AM.

Prodigy of the Village The White Fang of Konoha's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2010
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

I have one major issue with this, and one small one.

The major qualm is the elaboration in the manga on the subject of becoming a 'Sage'; or the lack there-of elaboration. Little support exists to say that there is not a great Bear Sage in the Rock Village. See my point? Naruto was the most recent Toad Sage, but the act of being a Sage is not divulged fully.

The small issue is that we know the Fourth was in training to be a Toad Sage, but are unsure how far he went in his training.

Status
    Sep 2010
    Where the treasure of Gold D Roger is located
    Post Thanks / Like
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by psukkar View Post
    You took madara words too literally. He didn't mean he was second path or Nagato was third. All he meant is that madara and nagato the second and third persons to obtain the complete power of the so6P.
    Oh stupid me >_<