Status
    Mar 2014
    "To refer to one as
    perfect is..often the sign of
    a delusional mind.."-Data

Kishimoto inspired by Final Fantasy?

I've been replaying final fantasy 6 lately out of boredom, looked up a walkthrough online to find an item I was having trouble locating and discovered that the direct japanese translations for ninja tools/techniques from final fantasy's 4, 5 and 6 reference techniques from Naruto.

Flood from ff 4 and Water Edge/Water Scroll from ff 5 and 6 both translate to Suiton no Jutsu.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Flood_(Ninjutsu)

Blitz from ff 4 and Bolt Edge/Lightning Scroll from ff 5 and 6 translate to Raiton no jutsu.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blitz_(Ninjutsu)

Flame from ff 4 and Fire Skean/Fire Scroll from ff 5 and 6 translate to Katon.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Flame_(Ninjutsu)

Mirage from ff 4 and shadow edge from 5 and 6 translate to Clone/Bunshin and leaves an after image the enemy strikes in place of the character.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mirage_(Ability)

And now time for the big one. There is also an invisible edge/invisibility scroll and though there is no wiki translation for it, I checked a few walkthroughs and they state the translation is konoha gakure or hiding in the leaves lols. You want more proof? Check out the animation where a cloud of leaves cloaks shadow and makes him invisible.

That's not all.

The ninja characters from final fantasy seem to reflect naruto characters as well to an extent.

Edge or Edward Geraldine, the ninja from final fantasy 4 uncannily resembles Kakashi in that he possesses spiky silver hair and a mask covering the lower half of his face. In ff 4 he uses the ninjutsu magic I already mentioned that consumes mp. His parents and entire shinobi nation are also destroyed by a mad scientist and the fire demon Rubicante, both of whom he seeks revenge against.

Shadow, or Clyde, the ninja from final fantasy 6 was once a stealthy thief with his partner, but one day the authorities caught them and his friend was wounded. Clyde refused to finish him off and left him for dead. Later, he suffered from the nightmares of doing so and could no longer bear the peaceful life he had established later on so he became a shinobi for hire, hid his face under a mask out of disgrace and took on the name shadow, which was originally the name of his duo. His dog interceptor followed him when he left his family and village and became his nin dog in battle.

Sound familiar?

Two of shadows' weapons are also called the Sakura and Sasuke dirks, but those are already common names while the name Sasuke originates from Yukimura Sanada's shinobi retainer from the sengoku era.

Final Fantasy 4 was released in 91, 5 was released in 92 and 6 in 94. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by SkyGodHorus; 07-18-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Status
    Oct 2012
    #Santawashere!!
    #HenrikisEvil!! #Nefer4Mod!!
    #Drizzy4GMod!! #KladisBACK
    #JanaistheBest #Noni4Sensei!!
    #NK4Mod!! #Exon4Mod!!
    #KâkashíisBoss!!

Re: Kishimoto inspired by Final Fantasy?

Ok, so I read through it. And I think what you said needs to be taken into consideration. The names and terms aren't simple coincidence. BTW, Kishimoto himself admited that he was inspired by games he had played and FF was one of them as I heard. Great work buddy

Status
    Mar 2014
    Following Protocol

I've never played any of the FF games before, but I do see the similarities. Kishi could have possibly played the games and was inspired by them. We know that he has been inspired by things like DBZ, HxH, etc; FF could very well be one of those inspirations.

Status
    Mar 2014
    "To refer to one as

Quote Originally Posted by Six Pāths View Post
    Ok, so I read through it. And I think what you said needs to be taken into consideration. The names and terms aren't simple coincidence. BTW, Kishimoto himself admited that he was inspired by games he had played and FF was one of them as I heard. Great work buddy
    Never knew that lols. Thanks.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Tant pis.

There also Noctis who looks like a 3D version of Sasuke, when i first saw him i thought that the creator of FF inspired it maybe from Kishi not the other way around.
    Also, thanks for the information. And i don't think it's coincidence; Kishi is known for inspiring some of his characters or the techs the characters use from several anime and mangas.

Status
    Mar 2014
    "To refer to one as

Quote Originally Posted by Sugiyama View Post
    There also Noctis who looks like a 3D version of Sasuke, when i first saw him i thought that the creator of FF inspired it maybe from Kishi not the other way around.
    Also, thanks for the information. And i don't think it's coincidence; Kishi is known for inspiring some of his characters or the techs the characters use from several anime and mangas.
    there was a big April's fools joke going around that square stated Noctis was based off him.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Anger and Hate are supreme

Quote Originally Posted by SkyGodHorus View Post
    there was a big April's fools joke going around that square stated Noctis was based off him.
    They might as well had. They look so similar. Can't think of Noctis without thinking of Sasuke.
    I think the scrolls and elements attack are a coincidence. Maybe Edge and Kakashi are a coincidence as well. Silver hair and a mask covering their mouth are their only big similarity. But maybe Kishi was inspired a little bit.
    Nice finds btw

Status
    Mar 2014
    Tant pis.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyGodHorus View Post
    lol, I know. I heard these statements several times, and I actually believed them, Cuz the similarity is really astonishing.

Status
    Jan 2012
    Be a man, be a warrior.

That Kakashi one is spot on. WOW!

Status
    Mar 2014
    "To refer to one as

Quote Originally Posted by 12771a View Post
    I think the scrolls and elements attack are a coincidence. Maybe Edge and Kakashi are a coincidence as well.
    A coincidence based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by 12771a View Post
    Silver hair and a mask covering their mouth are their only big similarity.
    Actually, Shadow hiding his face in disgrace reminds me of Kakashi hiding his because of his father while he leaving his friend behind reminds me of Obito's proverb.

The shinobi nation of Eblan being completely annihilated and Edge seeking vengeance reminds me of Sasuke. Furthermore, he obsessed over killing Rubicante whom for a long time was nearly invincible and taunted him, much like Itachi, telling him he was too weak and emotional. Rubicante also wound up being the only honorable one of the four demon fiends by restoring the party's health to full before fighting him and admiring their strength.

Best of the Leaf Anbu. Ôrochímaru's Avatar
    Status
    May 2014
    Beware of Snakes and me :D

Well he himself admitted that he was inspired by FF games. And by the way. Long work., Some one was bored.

Status
    Mar 2014
    "To refer to one as

Quote Originally Posted by Orochimaru The Great View Post
    Well he himself admitted that he was inspired by FF games. And by the way. Long work., Some one was bored.
    I've looked at his interviews, but I haven't seen any mention of final fantasy inspiration. Do you perhaps have a link?