Help With Theory Construction
Okay, so I was in the 'Naruto Manga' section, and I saw all of these lame theories. I wasn't sure if I should put this there or not, so may as well jsut put it in 'General Discussion' just to be safe. Some people seem to completely ignore what makes a good/believable theory, and so I thought I may as well just lay out the basics. Feel free to add or change anything if you think it's necissary.
1) The theory must make sense. You would not BELIEVE how many theories I've read that just plain out don't make sense. I mean, please, just think through your theories before you post them for everyone to see/flame.
2) The theory must have some impact on the manga. C'mon people. If you have a theory, but it doesn't impact the story at ALL, it's not a theory, it's more of a speculation. And if you describe how it relates to the story thus far, and how it'll impact the story down the road, in a later post, why couldn't you just put it in the main thread. I mean, c'mon!
3) The theory cannot contradict itself, and more importantly, the actual story. Pretty straightforward. If the theory contradicts itself, it can't work. If the theory contradicts the story thus far, you're going to get flammed SO badly, don't even bother.
4) Be ready to defend your theory. If you make a theory, EVERYONE's going to want to poke holes in it, so be ready for that. Make sure you can defend it from every angle, or else people will disregard it as spam.
5) It would be best to provide proof. While I know that most people don't know the exact chapter/page number the even takes place on, you could at least look up the proof you have on your theory (or what made you think of it). Links, pictures of the page, or even just stating that you think it happened, and asking people to back you up, will all help your theory gain rep. Theories without proof are thrown into the trash bin with no more than a quick flame.
These are just a few things I could think of that would help both the writers and readers of theories. Please note that I may have exagerated a few things, but that's just the way I am. I'm always exagerating things. Are there going to be people who disregard this when making their theories? I'll answer that with another question. Are there people who disregard the bio template when making bio's? I'd like to hear your opinions on this thread.