Page 2 of 2 « First 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    can you fly LaGrim's Avatar

    Status
    LaGrim is online now
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    3,954
    ziggy star shining in the sky
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Same reason why they don't do any other complex thing we do: "Not smart enough"
     
         

  2. #22
    Kage Pumpkin Ninja's Avatar

    Status
    Pumpkin Ninja is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14,203
    Location
    Kamui Dimension
    This user's status has been
    stolen.
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    They aren't smart enough.
     
         
    Last edited by Caliburn; 01-06-2017 at 08:12 PM.

  3. #23
    Member 1000 Chirping Birds's Avatar

    Status
    1000 Chirping Birds is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    204
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    there are mice out there that can share brainwaves to group problem-solve without communicating. dont underestimate animals
     
         

  4. #24
    Premium User AniCetuS's Avatar

    Status
    AniCetuS is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,488
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Bring it on.
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Because humans are stupid. They are the most intelligent creatures on this planet but waste their time on religion and fighting over it.
     
         

  5. #25
    Kage Pumpkin Ninja's Avatar

    Status
    Pumpkin Ninja is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14,203
    Location
    Kamui Dimension
    This user's status has been
    stolen.
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by AniCetuS View Post
    Because humans are stupid. They are the most intelligent creatures on this planet but waste their time on religion and fighting over it.
    The fights that come from religion are territorial disputes and attempts to preserve or spread their culture. It's very tribal and animalistic. Animals do the exact same but on a less complex level.
     
         

  6. #26
    Loverboy LustyLover's Avatar

    Status
    LustyLover is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,183
    Location
    I'm a citizen of the world
    Mildly manic
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Because it's not natural?
     
         

  7. #27
    Premium User AniCetuS's Avatar

    Status
    AniCetuS is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,488
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Bring it on.
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin Ninja View Post
    The fights that come from religion are territorial disputes and attempts to preserve or spread their culture. It's very tribal and animalistic. Animals do the exact same but on a less complex level.
    Doesn't change the fact that religion is involved and is the point of conflict. Lol, each religion preaches about peace and harmony yet when someone from another religion does something offensive, all hell breaks loose. What animals do is genetically programmed survival instinct, completely different from unnecessary religious violence.
     
         

  8. #28
    Kage Pumpkin Ninja's Avatar

    Status
    Pumpkin Ninja is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14,203
    Location
    Kamui Dimension
    This user's status has been
    stolen.
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by AniCetuS View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that religion is involved and is the point of conflict. Lol, each religion preaches about peace and harmony yet when someone from another religion does something offensive, all hell breaks loose. What animals do is genetically programmed survival instinct, completely different from unnecessary religious violence.
    I personally think that the conflicts that humans have are too much of a pattern to deny that it isn't part of our programming. Religion like culture is a part of personal identity. Hell, even political beliefs to an extent. Studies show that having them challenged agressively has the same effect on our brains as being attacked personally. And when you have groups of people who strongly identify with a belief, having that effect would have dangerous results. So I agree that religion is dangerous in that regard. Having beliefs so close to you that you aren't used to having challenged is a bad thing.
     
         
    Last edited by Caliburn; 01-06-2017 at 08:13 PM.

  9. #29
    ロロノア・ゾロ Caliburn's Avatar

    Status
    Caliburn is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    18,874
    Location
    Zou
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Jean already said this, but who says that animals don't have religion? Your entire thread is based on a false, or at least baseless, premisse. The fact that humans are still very well animals themselves, says it all. Religion doesn't mean that you need to have complex rites or holy scriptures, in a very broad perspective it can be simple and rudimentary. By now it has been observed many times that several species have social layers, unique habits and even have what some scientists describe as "culture". If you have that, well then a potential religious aspect of that culture is easily possible.

    Secondly the "alien" part is not that relevant as if you want to know how conversion works, just read the history of mankind. When the Spaniards arrived in the New World, some of the indigenous people thought they were gods which might as well be the same as an alien species trying to convert mankind. The specific actions might be different, but there isn't really much variation in the overall methods.

    Quote Originally Posted by A M View Post
    Animals don't practice religion because they don't have the fear of having no purpose after death which is kind of the main reason religion was created by humans not just to control people but to make people believe there's another life after death. Many people follow religion because they can't face the fact that there may be nothing after death

    Pets purpose is to love and be loved by us not to love and obey word written by men thousands of years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe of Death View Post
    Yes, religion was basically centered around that concept.

    Humans above all fear death. Anyone old enough has thought of it
    Actually that's not true or more precise this is really not proven. In fact most things indicate the exact opposite, namely that the focus of religion was originally on life, not death. The concept of what happens after death seems to be logical for modern day society as all the dominant religions have a strong focus on that, the truth is however that one of the reasons they became so dominant, was because of that focus that was either absent or limited in older, existing religions. For example christianity was able to survive its first centuries, despite numerous persecutions because many Romans were attracted by the attention it had for life after death, which was not really appealing in the Roman religion.

    Also what traditionally is seen as the "beginning" of religion, are fertility statues, ergo life. The religions that preceded the dominant monotheistic religions, are mostly nature religions and/or ancestor worshipping. Every little thing in people's lives was somehow influenced by thousands of gods and even the spirits of their own ancestors had to help them. Everything after death though was often rather simplistic. So this is pretty much the exact opposite of what you are saying.

    On top of that something most species share is an instinctive fear of death. They don't just accept their fate either, so following that reasoning through to the end your statement could easily be interpreted as saying that by default all species are religious.

    So if there was a singular cause that could be considered as the origin of religion, it wouldn't be what comes after death, but overall ignorance. Despite the progression of human civilization, we know as much what comes after death now as we did 10 000 years ago. We have made zero to no progress on that front, so following your statement that would imply religion should still be a fundamental pillar of human society, which is not the case. The more we learned, the more influence religion lost. Why? Because before people were wondering about death, they wondered about everything they saw in life: rain, lightning, fire, earthquake, shooting stars, night and day, floods, droughts, deceases, animals...they saw countless things they couldn't understand, so they tried to explain it. Death literally came all the way at the end. In religions like Christianity however death is just the beginning.

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkljfsdjnsjnoids View Post
    I don't fear death that much, death is painless.

    I wonder how people would react if aliens came to convert us into their faith or if animals started to worship something.
    Hmmm no the painlessness of death solely depends on how you are dying. I'm pretty sure dying be receiving a lethal injection is far less painful than being devoured by a bunch of rabid wolves.

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkljfsdjnsjnoids View Post
    Dying is painful but being dead is without pain.
    You just said earlier that death is painless, now you say dying is painful and follow up with a nonsensical comment that being dead is without pain. How could you possibly know if a dead man is without pain? It's makes no sense whatsoever. Now you sound like a half-assed wannabe philosopher who randomly mixes words to give it a cryptic feel.

    Quote Originally Posted by AniCetuS View Post
    Because humans are stupid. They are the most intelligent creatures on this planet but waste their time on religion and fighting over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AniCetuS View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that religion is involved and is the point of conflict. Lol, each religion preaches about peace and harmony yet when someone from another religion does something offensive, all hell breaks loose. What animals do is genetically programmed survival instinct, completely different from unnecessary religious violence.
    Not really. Many people assume that religion is something bad and that it has served as a brake on the advancement of human civilization, however many scientific discoveries were made by theists in the name of their religion. In the hypothetical case there wouldn't have been any kind of religion, it's very well possible humanity would have never reached the level it has today.

    Also don't mix up religious teachings and the people who pretend to follow those teachings. Subjectively interpreting stuff so that it's convenient for them, is something people have been doing for centuries and not only with religious ideologies. It just happens so that religious pretenses have always been quite convenient to support political, economical and territorial aspirations. Many of those supposedly pious monarchs, emperors and rulers rarely did what they did purely out of their religious beliefs, most of the time it was just plain opportunism and in that regard they are no different than animals who instinctively try to obtain, expand or protect their territories. Conflicts that are purely the result of opposing religious views, are not that common and the reason is simple: there is little merit in them.
     
         
    Last edited by Caliburn; 01-08-2017 at 06:37 PM.

  10. #30
    Christian Srom777's Avatar

    Status
    Srom777 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    634
    Location
    USA
    I hope 2017 is good!
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Human being are the only kind that is religious. The animals aren't because their sole purpose is to do what they're supposed to do on this earth, and what God created them to do.
     
         

  11. #31
    Senior Member Michelle's Avatar

    Status
    Michelle is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,258
    This user has no status.
     

    Awards Showcase


    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkljfsdjnsjnoids View Post
    Why are no animals religious? And if there are aliens out there, could they be religious? Is it only a human thing to be religious?




    I wonder how people would react if aliens came to convert us into their faith or if animals started to worship something.
    When you checked last time the animal world to be sure that you are right? Maybe they are but you dont know
     
         

  12. #32
    Member

    Status
    Hyun ryu is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    82
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkljfsdjnsjnoids View Post
    Why are no animals religious? And if there are aliens out there, could they be religious? Is it only a human thing to be religious?




    I wonder how people would react if aliens came to convert us into their faith or if animals started to worship something.
    An even better question would be, why are plants not religious?
     
         

  13. #33
    One King One Legend ArabianLuffy's Avatar

    Status
    ArabianLuffy is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,147
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Simply being Awesome!
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Based on my religion, Islam. The Quran says that everything exist in this universe glorify and worship God with praise, but we don't understand their praises.
     
         

  14. #34
    Kage V h o's Avatar

    Status
    V h o is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    16,734
    Location
    Michigan
    Light in the Darkness
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    How do you know the don't or if their religion is practiced the same as humans? Doubt humans would care much about an aliens religion if they came to Earth
     
         

  15. #35
    Member Blunts's Avatar
    Status
    Blunts is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    this ***** caliburn just shittted on this thread breh "
    So if there was a singular cause that could be considered as the origin of religion, it wouldn't be what comes after death, but overall ignorance. Despite the progression of human civilization, we know as much what comes after death now as we did 10 000 years ago. We have made zero to no progress on that front, so following your statement that would imply religion should still be a fundamental pillar of human society, which is not the case. The more we learned, the more influence religion lost. Why? Because before people were wondering about death, they wondered about everything they saw in life: rain, lightning, fire, earthquake, shooting stars, night and day, floods, droughts, deceases, animals...they saw countless things they couldn't understand, so they tried to explain it. Death literally came all the way at the end. In religions like Christianity however death is just the beginning." -Caliburn
     
         

  16. #36
    Uchiha Clan Shinobi Shunsin no Shisui's Avatar

    Status
    Shunsin no Shisui is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,606
    Location
    木ノ葉隠れの里
    Forever Blessed...
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Well I believe that animals DO pray to their creator, well our creator, but they do it in their own way. It's like how every animals has it's own way of communicating and searching for their food. They all have their own unique ways of doing things and they are NOT all the same. Just like that, it's logical that they also pray in their own unique ways. We human beings do it too.

    Also for those who believe that there's no need to pray because they believe that nothing happens after death, well how do you know that?? I mean what if there IS something that exists after when we die and it's not good because we weren't very good when we were alive? I'm just saying that it's not smart to immediately rule out that possibility of nothing existing after death and expecting that everything will be fine because it just might not turn out that way at all.
     
         

  17. #37
    Senior Member CloyEscapade's Avatar

    Status
    CloyEscapade is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,694
    Location
    Chocobo Paradise
    Don't bite so hard
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkljfsdjnsjnoids View Post
    Why are no animals religious? And if there are aliens out there, could they be religious? Is it only a human thing to be religious

    I wonder how people would react if aliens came to convert us into their faith or if animals started to worship something.
    If aliens have the prowess to reach us they will be look at us as animals
     
         

  18. #38
    Senior Member CloyEscapade's Avatar

    Status
    CloyEscapade is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,694
    Location
    Chocobo Paradise
    Don't bite so hard
     

    Re: Why are only humans practicing religion?

    If you were reincarnated then aren't you technically practicing that religion
     
         

Page 2 of 2 « First 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •