Apr 2009
    This user is taking back his
    status by force! But would
    also like to note that Sara
    has his heart! It's in a jar
    of marshmallows.

Re: ✖ SOTW Theme Suggestions ✖

Quote Originally Posted by Laraib View Post
    ( '_') Neither of them. Some of the topics given by you are non-professional and undisplayable. Compare your topics with Cali's. There is a thick line dividing those two. Cali's had class, and were professional & displayable :\
    This would be the first time someone called the themes I used classy. I always got the impression people didn't like them. I mostly used rather straightforward themes with the result that people occasionally made the remark that they wanted more elaborate themes, but when I did that I rarely received much submissions and people commented then that it was too hard and that there were not enough stocks etc. This contradictory behavior made it a pain to find themes each time that would be received well.

Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
    This would be the first time someone called the themes I used classy. I always got the impression people didn't like them. I mostly used rather straightforward themes with the result that people occasionally made the remark that they wanted more elaborate themes, but when I did that I rarely received much submissions and people commented then that it was too hard and that there were not enough stocks etc. This contradictory behavior made it a pain to find themes each time that would be received well.
    People miss you a lot. Some 'big' shoes to fill. lol

Status
    Dec 2012
    The world is not beautiful;
    and that, in a way, lends it a
    sort of beauty.

Tbh, your themes were good. I liked them at least. @BOLD That's not really the case ! People got bored because it was taking a bit too long for you to post the theme or the voting thread, since you were busy.
    In Ira's case, it's not that the theme is bad or anything, it just that it's not enough material for the theme. Still, the theme is kinda hard too !
    I thought about something, since many people seem not to agree with the themes. How about making a new thread during the voting thread, where people would suggest themes for the upcoming week and the theme that gets more votes or likes, should be next week's SotW.

Status
    Sep 2014
    **▼▲( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)▲▼

Has there ever been a medical themed contest? I'd like to see that

Two other suggestions if they haven't been made are Chemistry and Death

Status
    May 2014
    What is the point of being sad
    when everyone will die one
    day.

They were good overall . Although I never participated when you were there, but I seriously thought that this competition is a hard one. As there were only few submissions and they were OP as f.

Anyways, @ Jean Gray. By giving such topics you're making this contest difficult. Noobs like me can't participate and neither there will be any high amount of submissions.l

Status
    This user has no status.

They were good overall . Although I never participated when you were there, but I seriously thought that this competition is a hard one. As there were only few submissions and they were OP as f.

Anyways, @ Jean Gray. By giving such topics you're making this contest difficult. Noobs like me can't participate and neither there will be any high amount of submissions.l
    So if the theme is too difficult for you it's not classy and contest has fallen? Not all themes get that high amount of submission. It's always been like this.

Status
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Grey View Post
    If you consider yourself an artist and then you should know that a theme is never unprofessional - The execution however is another matter. And if what you create is not displayable then it wasn't up to the mark.

I will be blunt- I get very well that this week's theme was a shock for you as it seems too mundane to you but when the kind of entries I get for surrealism and how I had to give up on sorcery and allow any random magical power I don't think people should be putting up airs like this.

You guys should speak more for the themes if you wish for more popular one. The theme DB and NG were both suggested here and both got lukewarm responses till the time was extended. So each theme seems to be supported by the one proposing only.

Anyway part of the reason you get this theme and delayed contest is all the drama recently going on around this contest.

For past few weeks it seems that some people don't even get that it's a contest. That in a contest there are rules and you are supposed to play within those rules. Or That this is not an open free form display your best artwork and you are given a task with small boundries that everyone needs to adhere to so that it's even for all. That's why you get the space like it is now within that space create your best artwork/signature. And sometimes think out of the box for some challenging theme.

Other than that lighten up a little. If there is a problem with some theme let me know what kind would you prefer more next time.
    I completely agree with this post, if all of you that are whinging call yourselfs gfxers then STFU and man up to the given task. The biggest problem with some of these so called gfxers these days, is that as soon as they have to go out of their comfort zone for a theme they just put on their tanty panties and blame the organizer instead of just pushing their limits.

I would love to enter more often, especially since I like a challenge which some of the themes lately have been. But being an admin on a gfx forum takes up much of my tag making time for contests over there. I for one have not seen a drop in quality as far as SOTW goes here on NB from the time I joined until now. There has been a drop in quality in terms of gfxers, but this only paves the way for less experienced people to make their mark. So stop the whinging and get an entry in.

So keep up the good work Jean, I among a select few other gfxers here appreciate the effort you go to to bring us a great competition. So just keep going your thing

Status
    A fan of Claymore? Click the
    bar in my sig! :D

Work on those images make a signature out of them and you have an entry for the contest. It's an emotion just like any other. A little restricted as it ties up with a gesture but not really that different.
    True enough. I'll see, but no promises.

Status
    May 2014
    What is the point of being sad
    when everyone will die one
    day.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastbomb View Post
    I completely agree with this post, if all of you that are whinging call yourselfs gfxers then STFU and man up to the given task. The biggest problem with some of these so called gfxers these days, is that as soon as they have to go out of their comfort zone for a theme they just put on their tanty panties and blame the organizer instead of just pushing their limits.

I would love to enter more often, especially since I like a challenge which some of the themes lately have been. But being an admin on a gfx forum takes up much of my tag making time for contests over there. I for one have not seen a drop in quality as far as SOTW goes here on NB from the time I joined until now. There has been a drop in quality in terms of gfxers, but this only paves the way for less experienced people to make their mark. So stop the whinging and get an entry in.

So keep up the good work Jean, I among a select few other gfxers here appreciate the effort you go to to bring us a great competition. So just keep going your thing
    Can you please stop following the mods and start to think on your own? It's annoying

Status
    This user has no status.

Can you please stop following the mods and start to think on your own? It's annoying
    I'm not following the Mods lol, clearly I think more about this than you do. You just need to stop crying about what the themes are lol. If you can't handle it don't join simple as that, don't point the finger at the organizer for choosing a theme that you can't cope with. Just stick to your FUB contests you seem to go ok with those

Status
    Sep 2012
    Nup

As a gfx'er, I happen to agree with him. I was a bit skeptic about this theme but then I realized that pushing the limits is a good thing.
    Art is something that's unpredictable, you may have several ideas to make one piece yet you'd sometimes go down a completely different route. So if you can't have a calm discussion about this without resorting to false accusations towards another member's opinion, then don't discuss it

I was thinking we could do a freestyle theme every now and then

Last edited by Horus; 08-12-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Status
    Feb 2012
    That's my Nintendo, my Ninja
    way

Quote Originally Posted by Beastbomb View Post
    I'm not following the Mods lol, clearly I think more about this than you do. You just need to stop crying about what the themes are lol. If you can't handle it don't join simple as that, don't point the finger at the organizer for choosing a theme that you can't cope with. Just stick to your FUB contests you seem to go ok with those
    Oh the days before Copy&Paste style avatar threads. People too lazy to try these days.

Status
    Jun 2011
    this statement is false

Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    Oh the days before Copy&Paste style avatar threads. People too lazy to try these days.
    They swarm the design hall

Status
    Aug 2009
    God, ninjas can be so damn
    desperate in NW… I totally
    get why people would quit it..

Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    As a gfx'er, I happen to agree with him. I was a bit skeptic about this theme but then I realized that pushing the limits is a good thing.
    Art is something that's unpredictable, you may have several ideas to make one piece yet you'd sometimes go down a completely different route. So if you can't have a calm discussion about this without resorting to false accusations towards another member's opinion, then don't discuss it

I was thinking we could do a freestyle theme every now and then
    I was on the other guys team until I read this, you sir have just inspired me.
    I agree with freestyle too, but like once every 20 weeks or so.

Status
    This user has no status.

@Beastbomb, Horus, Method - thank you for understanding.

Laraib I will try to be nice but have you been reading your own posts?

( '_') Neither of them. Some of the topics given by you are non-professional and undisplayable. Compare your topics with Cali's. There is a thick line dividing those two. Cali's had class, and were professional & displayable :\

You sound like that number of entries reduced since I took over but you accepted yourself that in Cali's times too there were less number of entries in that very post. And some of the themes still get more entries than average just like before.

You go on to say that the contest has fallen and entries are not OP as before - but then demand to make it easy enough to suit you personal limits since you cannot cope with most of the themes. That's not how we got OP entries before or maintained the quality.

You are so conflicted in your statements and yet you turn confrontational and insulting because you don't know what to do with a theme. I am not sure what made you think that I am obligated to give themes to suit your particular need and limits. It's a contest remember? If you are going to talk about unprofessionalism, and go on insulting others, you need a hard look at how you are behaving first. Root of your problem is this:

I am still practicing you know. GFX is not my thing,I just colour manga panels..One can make anything a signature tough
    Giving such topics is the main reason that there aren't enough submissions. Anime/Manga can attract more of them
    Yes. I think so.
    You should also remember that you were sarcastic even for the theme " detective".

Ira you told me that you'll give one anime per week for Sotw..Is detective any anime
    and Television:

That'll be good as the topics you picked this week is AotW potential not Sotw
    But if you wanted anime or manga related theme, you could and should have participated in Sword Art Online or Saiyans or Tokyo ghoul ot NG etc.

If you are going to be this picky and still be able to participate the week you wish to, I cannot help you with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Phrank View Post
    Has there ever been a medical themed contest? I'd like to see that

Two other suggestions if they haven't been made are Chemistry and Death
    I will check.

Quote Originally Posted by Seblax View Post
    I was on the other guys team until I read this, you sir have just inspired me.
    I agree with freestyle too, but like once every 20 weeks or so.
    Noted. And there are some interesting entries. Much better than I expected after the initial reaction. ^^

Last edited by Jean Grey; 08-13-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Status
    Aug 2009
    God, ninjas can be so damn
    desperate in NW… I totally
    get why people would quit it..

Noted. And there are some interesting entries. Much better than I expected after the initial reaction. ^^
    Thank you
    Cannot wait for the voting to start so we can all see them, I want to see how it inspired GFXers

Status
    This user has no status.

@Beastbomb, Horus, Method - thank you for understanding.
    No problems Jean, as I said I am a fellow staff member. Not here, but still I know the efforts you must go to. I have also been a member here for some time now, and I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't start my gfx career here. So I won't stand for someone trying to point a finger at you or any other staff member here because they can't handle the situation.

For the most part I tend to bite my tongue, but sometimes I need to add my input. Some people don't listen to logic regardless of how its presented to them, maybe not my place but when I do themes I always like to throw in a freestyle once a month. I do this for a couple of reasons.... The first being that it allows the members to express their own talents without a given theme, and the other is that it removes the stress of trying to come up with a theme each and every time. It actually gives you a free week to decide your next theme, so maybe this idea will help you.

Anyway my main point is that I fully understand what you go through, and I always go by this quote "you can please some of the members all of the time and you can please all of the members some of the time but you can't please all of the members all of the time"

On behalf of the actual gfxers, here I wish to thank you for your time and effort