Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Amegakure ANBU Ikari Shinji Kun's Avatar
    Status
    Ikari Shinji Kun is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Location
    Wammy's House
    nuggets
     

    Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Okay, so recently i downloaded Amnesia: The Dark Descent, only to have it say Fatal Error: Renderer #0 Could Not Initialize. Upon searching teh interwebz, i found it was due to my laptop (a cheap one i got for writing) not having an intergrated graphics card. My question is. How much would it cost to get a graphics card, or would i be better off buying a new laptop? If so, which would you recommened.

    Thank you muchly :3
     
         

  2. #2
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    195
    Location
    South Africa
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Your Laptop GFX can't be upgraded. Sorry buddy, but that’s one of the biggest drawbacks of Laptops vs Desktops. Desktops can be upgraded and its quite cheap to do, as for laptops, the only way to effectively "upgrade" a laptop is to replace the guts. In which case it will work out cheaper just to buy a new one.
    As for which laptop to buy... there are sooooo many choices.... I would say it depends on your budged and what you intend to do with the laptop. If you’re looking for a gaming rig... rather go Desktop.

    Best regards
     
         

  3. #3
    Amegakure ANBU Ikari Shinji Kun's Avatar
    Status
    Ikari Shinji Kun is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Location
    Wammy's House
    nuggets
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstorm83 View Post
    Your Laptop GFX can't be upgraded. Sorry buddy, but that’s one of the biggest drawbacks of Laptops vs Desktops. Desktops can be upgraded and its quite cheap to do, as for laptops, the only way to effectively "upgrade" a laptop is to replace the guts. In which case it will work out cheaper just to buy a new one.
    As for which laptop to buy... there are sooooo many choices.... I would say it depends on your budged and what you intend to do with the laptop. If you’re looking for a gaming rig... rather go Desktop.

    Best regards
    Thanks. Budget isn't a problem and i wanted a laptop purely for the reason to be able to take it around with me. I work nights sometimes and it's nice to just relaxe with a game or 2.
     
         

  4. #4
    -Uzumaki Nagato-'s Avatar
    Status
    -Uzumaki Nagato- is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    12,274
    Location
    The Shadow
    Konoha For Life
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Shinji Kun View Post
    Okay, so recently i downloaded Amnesia: The Dark Descent, only to have it say Fatal Error: Renderer #0 Could Not Initialize. Upon searching teh interwebz, i found it was due to my laptop (a cheap one i got for writing) not having an intergrated graphics card. My question is. How much would it cost to get a graphics card, or would i be better off buying a new laptop? If so, which would you recommened.

    Thank you muchly :3
    I will recommended that you buy a VGA card like minimum 256MB or hihger and may i suggest you buy Kingston
     
         

  5. #5
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    195
    Location
    South Africa
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Shinji Kun View Post
    Thanks. Budget isn't a problem and i wanted a laptop purely for the reason to be able to take it around with me. I work nights sometimes and it's nice to just relaxe with a game or 2.
    REALLY!! o_O
    Budged isn't a problem hey - wish i could say the same... lol :D

    Ok - If your not really a heavy gamer then this might not be the best bang for buck buy, but let me tell you - if i had the cash - i would go for one of these...

    http://www.alienware.com/

    I'd suggest maybe just looking at these as a "top of the line" range. Make notes of what you like and then go to your local shops and look for something with the same specs as that which your interested in, for a better price...
    I've always been partial to Sony myself...

    Hope that helps.

    PM me if you have any other questions!

    Best Regards,
     
         

  6. #6
    Member Wildstorm83's Avatar
    Status
    Wildstorm83 is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    195
    Location
    South Africa
    This user has no status.
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis2082 View Post
    I will recommended that you buy a VGA card like minimum 256MB or hihger and may i suggest you buy Kingston
    Hell no - not for VGA cards.... Kingston RAM is the best IMO, but there VGA cards tend to last no more than 1 - 2 years. Besides - he can't upgrade a Laptop GFX. Read my 1st post.
    If your going to buy a GFX card then im partial to the HIS (Radeon) cards or the XFX (Nvidia) cards.
     
         

  7. #7
    -Yard-'s Avatar
    Status
    -Yard- is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,236
    Location
    Narutobase
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Are you saying you want to upgrade your laptops graphics card? That's impossible as far as I know you can only do that with certain alienware laptops.
     
         

  8. #8
    Anduril's Avatar
    Status
    Anduril is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,292
    Waiting for life to shower me
    with awesomeness and some
    meaning.
     



    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    get a new laptop and woahhhhaaaaa dude budget no problem????...
    u are the first one looking for a gaming rig and saying that
     
         

  9. #9
    Amegakure ANBU Ikari Shinji Kun's Avatar
    Status
    Ikari Shinji Kun is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Location
    Wammy's House
    nuggets
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Yard~ View Post
    Are you saying you want to upgrade your laptops graphics card? That's impossible as far as I know you can only do that with certain alienware laptops.
    I'm useless with computers, so i didn't know you couldn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by -HAN- View Post
    get a new laptop and woahhhhaaaaa dude budget no problem????...
    u are the first one looking for a gaming rig and saying that
    Haha what do you mean?
     
         

  10. #10
    Anduril's Avatar
    Status
    Anduril is online now
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,292
    Waiting for life to shower me
    with awesomeness and some
    meaning.
     



    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Shinji Kun View Post
    I'm useless with computers, so i didn't know you couldn't.



    Haha what do you mean?
    I have yet to meet a person intending to buy a gaming rig without the cap....
    i mean the rig u want takes the prices to heavens.....making it necessary to adjust in some places
     
         

  11. #11
    turtles gamahiro's Avatar
    Status
    gamahiro is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    32,577
    Location
    RI
    me and saraisthebeast
     



    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Shinji Kun View Post
    Okay, so recently i downloaded Amnesia: The Dark Descent, only to have it say Fatal Error: Renderer #0 Could Not Initialize. Upon searching teh interwebz, i found it was due to my laptop (a cheap one i got for writing) not having an intergrated graphics card. My question is. How much would it cost to get a graphics card, or would i be better off buying a new laptop? If so, which would you recommened.

    Thank you muchly :3
    Before you buy anything, tell me the make and model of the laptop and your screen's resolution.
    You can try updating the drivers for your graphics and possibly dropping your resolution.
     
         

  12. #12
    Amegakure ANBU Ikari Shinji Kun's Avatar
    Status
    Ikari Shinji Kun is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Location
    Wammy's House
    nuggets
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by gamahiro View Post
    Before you buy anything, tell me the make and model of the laptop and your screen's resolution.
    You can try updating the drivers for your graphics and possibly dropping your resolution.
    I tried updating the driver with no avail. But it's a Compaq and it's shit is all i know :L
     
         

  13. #13
    Heister's Avatar
    Status
    Heister is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,008
    Location
    Toadland
    This user has no status.
     



    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Before buying post what you're looking at.

    I recently bought an HPLaptop and I play a bunch of games on it in High Resolution. It's also very stable for my editing programs and recording software. It's got 6gb of ram, 1tb HDD, 1GB Dedicated Ram GFX card ATI 5650 (gfx card isn't great but it's good enough), blu-ray player, and an i7 processor. About 1k without my warranty.

    I prefer desktops since they are easy to upgrade, but I wanted a laptop for college this year

    Edit: just looked at previous post, compaq? Those things are annoying -_-, used to have one back in 05ish lol (was my first laptop)
     
         

  14. #14
    DOD_bld's Avatar
    Status
    DOD_bld is offline
    Gender
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,612
    Avatar of Death FTW
     

    Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Shinji Kun View Post
    I tried updating the driver with no avail. But it's a Compaq and it's shit is all i know :L
    Oh god... throw that thing at the nearest wall and buy a not piece of crap... lol

    I just personally despise all compaq/HP garbage...

    back to the topic more or less; like gama said, RE-check the drivers, you might need to install older drivers instead of the newest ones, especially with my experience with compaq the updates aren't always the right thing to do to those poor computers.
     
         

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •