Amegakure ANBU Ikari Shinji Kun's Avatar
    Status
    Sep 2010
    nuggets

Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

Okay, so recently i downloaded Amnesia: The Dark Descent, only to have it say Fatal Error: Renderer #0 Could Not Initialize. Upon searching teh interwebz, i found it was due to my laptop (a cheap one i got for writing) not having an intergrated graphics card. My question is. How much would it cost to get a graphics card, or would i be better off buying a new laptop? If so, which would you recommened.

Thank you muchly :3

Status
    Apr 2011
    This user has no status.

Re: Laptop Help (Gama, if you're out there o.O)

Your Laptop GFX can't be upgraded. Sorry buddy, but that’s one of the biggest drawbacks of Laptops vs Desktops. Desktops can be upgraded and its quite cheap to do, as for laptops, the only way to effectively "upgrade" a laptop is to replace the guts. In which case it will work out cheaper just to buy a new one.
    As for which laptop to buy... there are sooooo many choices.... I would say it depends on your budged and what you intend to do with the laptop. If you’re looking for a gaming rig... rather go Desktop.

Best regards

Status
    Sep 2010
    nuggets

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstorm83 View Post
    Your Laptop GFX can't be upgraded. Sorry buddy, but that’s one of the biggest drawbacks of Laptops vs Desktops. Desktops can be upgraded and its quite cheap to do, as for laptops, the only way to effectively "upgrade" a laptop is to replace the guts. In which case it will work out cheaper just to buy a new one.
    As for which laptop to buy... there are sooooo many choices.... I would say it depends on your budged and what you intend to do with the laptop. If you’re looking for a gaming rig... rather go Desktop.

Best regards
    Thanks. Budget isn't a problem and i wanted a laptop purely for the reason to be able to take it around with me. I work nights sometimes and it's nice to just relaxe with a game or 2.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Konoha For Life

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Shinji Kun View Post
    Okay, so recently i downloaded Amnesia: The Dark Descent, only to have it say Fatal Error: Renderer #0 Could Not Initialize. Upon searching teh interwebz, i found it was due to my laptop (a cheap one i got for writing) not having an intergrated graphics card. My question is. How much would it cost to get a graphics card, or would i be better off buying a new laptop? If so, which would you recommened.

I will recommended that you buy a VGA card like minimum 256MB or hihger and may i suggest you buy Kingston

Status
    Apr 2011
    This user has no status.

Thanks. Budget isn't a problem and i wanted a laptop purely for the reason to be able to take it around with me. I work nights sometimes and it's nice to just relaxe with a game or 2.
    REALLY!! o_O
    Budged isn't a problem hey - wish i could say the same... lol :D

Ok - If your not really a heavy gamer then this might not be the best bang for buck buy, but let me tell you - if i had the cash - i would go for one of these...

http://www.alienware.com/

I'd suggest maybe just looking at these as a "top of the line" range. Make notes of what you like and then go to your local shops and look for something with the same specs as that which your interested in, for a better price...
    I've always been partial to Sony myself...

Hope that helps.

PM me if you have any other questions!

Best Regards,

Status
    Apr 2011
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis2082 View Post
    I will recommended that you buy a VGA card like minimum 256MB or hihger and may i suggest you buy Kingston
    Hell no - not for VGA cards.... Kingston RAM is the best IMO, but there VGA cards tend to last no more than 1 - 2 years. Besides - he can't upgrade a Laptop GFX. Read my 1st post.
    If your going to buy a GFX card then im partial to the HIS (Radeon) cards or the XFX (Nvidia) cards.

Status
    Jan 2011
    This user has no status.

Are you saying you want to upgrade your laptops graphics card? That's impossible as far as I know you can only do that with certain alienware laptops.

Status
    Mar 2011
    Waiting for life to shower me
    with awesomeness and some
    meaning.

get a new laptop and woahhhhaaaaa dude budget no problem????...
    u are the first one looking for a gaming rig and saying that

Status
    Sep 2010
    nuggets

Quote Originally Posted by ~Yard~ View Post
    Are you saying you want to upgrade your laptops graphics card? That's impossible as far as I know you can only do that with certain alienware laptops.
    I'm useless with computers, so i didn't know you couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by -HAN- View Post
    get a new laptop and woahhhhaaaaa dude budget no problem????...
    u are the first one looking for a gaming rig and saying that
    Haha what do you mean?

Status
    Mar 2011
    Waiting for life to shower me
    with awesomeness and some
    meaning.

I'm useless with computers, so i didn't know you couldn't.

Haha what do you mean?
    I have yet to meet a person intending to buy a gaming rig without the cap....
    i mean the rig u want takes the prices to heavens.....making it necessary to adjust in some places

Status
    Jul 2010
    me and saraisthebeast

Before you buy anything, tell me the make and model of the laptop and your screen's resolution.
    You can try updating the drivers for your graphics and possibly dropping your resolution.

Status
    Sep 2010
    nuggets

Quote Originally Posted by gamahiro View Post
    Before you buy anything, tell me the make and model of the laptop and your screen's resolution.
    You can try updating the drivers for your graphics and possibly dropping your resolution.
    I tried updating the driver with no avail. But it's a Compaq and it's shit is all i know :L

Status
    Jan 2011
    This user has no status.

Before buying post what you're looking at.

I recently bought an HPLaptop and I play a bunch of games on it in High Resolution. It's also very stable for my editing programs and recording software. It's got 6gb of ram, 1tb HDD, 1GB Dedicated Ram GFX card ATI 5650 (gfx card isn't great but it's good enough), blu-ray player, and an i7 processor. About 1k without my warranty.

I prefer desktops since they are easy to upgrade, but I wanted a laptop for college this year

Edit: just looked at previous post, compaq? Those things are annoying -_-, used to have one back in 05ish lol (was my first laptop)

Status
    Mar 2009

I tried updating the driver with no avail. But it's a Compaq and it's shit is all i know :L
    Oh god... throw that thing at the nearest wall and buy a not piece of crap... lol

I just personally despise all compaq/HP garbage...

back to the topic more or less; like gama said, RE-check the drivers, you might need to install older drivers instead of the newest ones, especially with my experience with compaq the updates aren't always the right thing to do to those poor computers.