Page 21 of 21 « First ... 111718192021

Status
    Mar 2014
    Happiness Is Divinity

Awards Showcase

Re: FanFiction of the Month Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Akаsh View Post

I agree with sam about weekly contests, bi weekly would be perfect for us keeping in mind of the moderators who obviously are already busy.
    And as far as incentives are concerned, they're completely fine the way Sam suggested.

And as far as hidden phrase and fill up the bubble were concerned, they were such active contests and also there would have been a much higher turn up if the hidden phrase medals looked better (as voiced by numerous members in chats), so therefore, Mysterious/Homosexual was running practically the most active section within the Contests Forum, obviously, removing it would mean diminished participants..
    I strongly suggest bringing those back..

Sam pretty much covered everything up to point, I believe the mods need to take a look at this and see what can be done.
    I think my Prize system is still imbalanced. Perhaps the balance issue is why the weekly contests were removed.

The source of the imbalance problem is a particular person winning three weekly contests in a row. Compare that to a person who wins one monthly contest.

Person who wins three weekly contest in a row : Three Months Cyan in a one Month Period
    Person who wins one monthly contest : One Month Cyan in a one Month Period.

The weekly contest guy is literally getting triple the prize than the monthly guy. This is where prizes become imbalanced.

However this balance issue can be solved by one simple tweak : You cannot win a weekly/bi-weekly contest two to three times a row. Basically this would mean that the winners of weekly contest 1 in the month of December 2016 will not get 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions in the weekly contest 2 of December 2016. The concept would be similar to the King of The Premium Contest.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Do nothing and yet nothing is
    left undone

Awards Showcase

I've been AWOL I know, if you can give me until Friday, and you even have my permission to pester me, I'll inform you all about what happened last month and get this month rolling.

Status
    Dec 2009
    "A goal is not always
    meant to be reached, it often
    serves simply as something to
    aim at." - Bruce Lee

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I've been AWOL I know, if you can give me until Friday, and you even have my permission to pester me, I'll inform you all about what happened last month and get this month rolling.
    It's a start I guess... But even with the contest back up and running, the interest/participation ratio hasn't been that great this year (nor has it in ages I reckon, but at least it seemed more seamless before. In fact, this year marked the first time the FF contest was ever on a break, like ever and more than once at that, and I suppose that says a lot). I've mentioned several times over that I get that this is a year of trial to find a new and better formula, but... I dunno, Sam might be on to something.

Status
    Aug 2010
    Do nothing and yet nothing is
    left undone

Awards Showcase

Hell I'm in a terrible spot. Alright, I know I said Friday but I ended up doing overtime at work and forgot about this when I came home.

That being said, most of last month involved me acclimating to the recent revamp of many rules and positions in the RP after both Scorps and Caliburn stepped down from their positions. There were regulation changes, coups, insurrections, and executions. As well I may or may not have told this area of the community but I have a job at my university as a teaching assistant which involves me both grading student reports and providing tutoring. Uni work + course work = majority of my time and I usually only allocate time for NB on the weekends as far as extensive work. Of course that means I'm limited in the scope of what I can and can't do. Fanfiction has just been on the back burner.

From the discussions I've briefly skimmed through and Michael's last post, I take it you guys have been discussing the age old topic of FF interest?

Status
    Dec 2012
    D E S P A I R

Awards Showcase

I think it's best to put it on a break for a while. (Like how it was done with the manga coloring and Fill up the Bubble)
    If it continues being "patched" like this for any longer, it will die out completely. I can see people totally loosing interest in it (Even after Sam's poetry suggestion and implementation) .
    I would normally say "Hand this contest over to some other mod", but knowing it's requirements, you and Lawliet are like the only ones so far I've seen capable to handling it (Also considering the possibility that if anyone else would have been able to run it, they would have done so a long time ago).
    Maybe people will feel nostalgic and participate after the break, you never know.
    But yeah, you can easily find a counter argument; like saying that all the contests have been like this recently.
    Truth be told, I see a lack of interest not only from the members, but the ones hosting it too, and that applies for every contests that is currently running. I guess the lack of interest from the staff may come as a lack of interest from the members though, but yeah, I guess it's almost at that point that you can't turn back now.

Status
    Mar 2014
    Happiness Is Divinity

Awards Showcase

>I say give hosting rights to a member.
    >Revert judging to Poll votes for now or keep the Judge system (If we get a member who is willing to be a judge).
    >Make a Writer of the Month Mascot.
    >Use the mascot in our signatures to advertise Writer of the Month Contest.

Putting a contest on Break is a bad idea, people might forget about this contest completely. Not that the contest being monthly helped attract members, but if it continues without breaks then it will attract members with the ad campaign.

Status
    Dec 2012
    D E S P A I R

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    >Revert judging to Poll votes for now or keep the Judge system (If we get a member who is willing to be a judge).

Putting a contest on Break is a bad idea, people might forget about this contest completely. Not that the contest being monthly helped attract members, but if it continues without breaks then it will attract members with the ad campaign.
    I see the opposite happening tbh. Having this contest up and running without any participants at all, discourages others to enter. If we give it some time and then get it back on track, I guess people will feel motivated and maybe activity may pick up.
    Also, I've had this in my mind for a while, but a new award would be better too.

Status
    Dec 2009
    "A goal is not always
    meant to be reached, it often
    serves simply as something to
    aim at." - Bruce Lee

Awards Showcase

[...] From the discussions I've briefly skimmed through and Michael's last post, I take it you guys have been discussing the age old topic of FF interest?
    About right yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gіn View Post
    I see the opposite happening tbh. Having this contest up and running without any participants at all, discourages others to enter. If we give it some time and then get it back on track, I guess people will feel motivated and maybe activity may pick up.
    Also, I've had this in my mind for a while, but a new award would be better too.
    Hmmm... I can see both happening actually. Too long of a break and we'll need a complete new and exciting relaunch with no exceptions.

Keep going like this and it will be like beating the dead cow. I am leaning more towards Gin's point but at the same time, Sam brings some interesting ideas to the table.

A December/Christmas relaunch with proper advertising to make it a big thing, maybe some changes to the writing section as well and we might have something. The host got to have complete time for that however, as I don't think we can "handle" too many mediocre relaunches before people simply don't care anymore regardless of the prices, etc.

And getting another new award just for the sake of it seems pointless being that the current one is still pretty new.
    Perhaps the key lies not only in the prices themselves but the medium as a whole. The RP always have things happening, while the Writer's section is more or less a wasteland these days. Maybe we just don't have enough firepower for a proper writing contest on NB with the current time and age. Whether a proper format and relaunch can change that remains to be seen however...

Status
    Dec 2012
    D E S P A I R

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    The RP always have things happening, while the Writer's section is more or less a wasteland these days. Maybe we just don't have enough firepower for a proper writing contest on NB with the current time and age. Whether a proper format and relaunch can change that remains to be seen however...
    That's happening with all the contests too tbh, not only with the writers base, but yeah ...

I don't need no title. Legendary Saiyan's Avatar

Status
    Mar 2014
    It must be easy pointing
    fingers.

Is there going to be one next month? :D

Status
    Mar 2014
    Happiness Is Divinity

Awards Showcase

Them Quotes :-

Quote Originally Posted by Omegā View Post
    Been busy on other side of NB and life. xD Anyway, yeah brother, there was so much talk around fixing/updating the contest and then everyone flaked. I was really surprised by those who pushed for poetry to be in the contest. I'm just shocked, and I wanted to see if I could find a conclusion as to why we received these results. I really thought we would get more participants, after all, it was just a beta test.

I'm still trying to support the writing section, and that means I might have to balance a few things and write a bit more. It would be nice to see you writing again...LOL so you can unretire AGAIN. I don't think people care about the new writers that much, but I'm currently working on two-three ff's so hopefully I can get those out there. >_>

EDIT: Yeah Im trying to figure out if people just don't care or if there is anything that can be done to get people to care. xD. I know I didn't notice the writer of the month beta test till late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gіn View Post
    It's not that I'm impatient or something, but it's like no effort is being put into hosting and letting the contests move forward.
    No one seems to care, not only this, but every contest is in the same situation.
    Welp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
    On a break probably. I don't think we can demand the standard of once a month like in the past anymore, at least not currently. That probably goes for other contests too as well like you seem to suggest. Just have to be patient I suppose, and it will come around again when Reborn got time I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akаsh View Post

I agree with sam about weekly contests, bi weekly would be perfect for us keeping in mind of the moderators who obviously are already busy.
    And as far as incentives are concerned, they're completely fine the way Sam suggested.

And as far as hidden phrase and fill up the bubble were concerned, they were such active contests and also there would have been a much higher turn up if the hidden phrase medals looked better (as voiced by numerous members in chats), so therefore, Mysterious/Homosexual was running practically the most active section within the Contests Forum, obviously, removing it would mean diminished participants..
    I strongly suggest bringing those back..

Sam pretty much covered everything up to point, I believe the mods need to take a look at this and see what can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Saiyan View Post
    Is there going to be one next month? :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
    Yes

On to my opinion :-

After some thinking, I think that putting the contest on hold is very risky as there is a high chance that it will backfire.

Putting the contest on hold leads to these major problems :-

1 - People might forget that the contest exists.
    2 - There can be no advertisement campaign to attract members.
    3 - There is no guarantee that people will participate when the contest starts again.

As an example, take Photography of the Month Contest. There were plans to put it on hold, but a majority of the people wanted the contest to continue : http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=721511 . Why does this contest even after so much discussion not get the same support ? Only one member has supported the decision of the contest to continue, that is Legendary Saiyan : http://narutobase.net/forums/showthr...1#post20972447 .

The reasons as to why and how it can be rectified to attract more participants are as follows :-

A) First and the biggest reason, the nature of the contest "Fan fiction of the Month". It's important to give the definition of fan-fiction first :-

fan fiction
    noun
    fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, film, etc.
    Thus, any writing which doesn't not fulfill the above definition cannot be a part of this contest. I know the definition of fan fiction is broader but this is what anybody will assume when he tries to look for the definition. Hence this contest is very narrow and restricted when it comes to attracting participants.

However let;'s consider "Writer of the Month". With writer, you get a broad range of writings like fan-fiction, novels, poems, rap songs, it is that vast. Thus the contest becomes broad and will attract many participants.

I think the first step would be to rename the Contest Section name and the Award name to Writer of the Month and then host Writer of the Month Contests.

B) Second the limit on the amount of contest entries needs to be removed : http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35352

Max number of submissions is 8 per month. First in, first served. [First in meaning first with 2 or 3 complete chapters]
    Not only does that statement conflict with what was made the Contest Second Tier Prize rules : http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=706395 but it might also drive away potential participants or put them in a waiting period of a month after which they try to get into the limit.

In summary there should be no limit on the amount of submissions of writings.

C) Third, we need to work on the award of "Writer of the Month". I always found the current award : to be lame and unappealing. I personally find that Character Awards are far better as people tend to collect Character Awards and make a collection. I think the L character from Death Note fits the contest award : . If possible a new and better L version of the award will be a good candidate for "Writer of the Month" award.

D) Fourth, we need a Writer of the Month Mascot for ad campaigns and you guessed it, the best mascot for this contest would be :-

L himself !

In short L as a mascot of this contest is perfect as he will also feature on the Contest's award :

Basically we need to make an L themed Writer of the Month Signature (Which will be put in our sigs to advertise the contest), a small L signature banner like this : and a L themed Contest banner (This will be used in all Contest threads as a banner).

E) Fifth and as I have said already before, there should not be a single break period in the contest. It must run continuously every month. If the mods are busy, give hosting rights to a trustworthy member, if there are no judges to choose the best entries, make the contest poll based where entry with highest votes wins. We have at least 50 active members on NB, unless there are extreme circumstances there should be no breaks !

F) Sixth, we need to advertise constantly about the contest. We advertise by using the signature or the mini banner. We need to make a stickied thread in the the Fan-Fiction and Poetry section where we can post updates about the Writer of the Month Contest. Thread does not need to be locked as we can discuss there and later on bring the members here.

Fan fiction ad Thread is this one : http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=532570 (Title needs to be changed to "Writer of the Month Contest Updates")
    Poetry ad Thread is this one : http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=715597 (Thread needs to be stickied and the Title needs to be changed to "Writer of the Month Contest Updates")
    Chatterbox ad thread is this one : http://narutobase.net/forums/showthread.php?t=715595 (Title needs to be changed to "Writer of the Month Contest Updates")

Those three ad threads are the cornerstones of the ad campaign other than signature advertising and recommending potential members to the contest.

In summary, the ad campaign will make the NB members aware that there is a writer contest and they are all free to participate and win prizes.

If these six things are done to the letter, I do not see this contest failing. Yes initially there will be low participation, but once we weather out that phase, this contest will become very successful. Keep in mind that this contest has the highest potential of all NB contests. We just need to harness that potential.

The rest is all to the staff of course. /