Re: [Grand RP Tournament] Xmas Edition - Feedback and Discussion
If someone is cooking using oranges, and someone is cooking using lemons, how can you say who is the better cook? Now, if both are using oranges, you have a constant, and thus, you can judge who's better. It's the same with cannons. Cannons are free to everyone, they're standard techniques. So, when you're judged on your mastery of an element or an ability, they give you the cannon jutsus to work with, not because using cannon shows the skill where customs don't, but because cannons allow us to compare you to all the other people that came before and will come after.
But if you have someone using cannons, and someone using customs, you can't just apply it the same method. Saying cannons are the only ones that truly show skill is just wrong. They do give you a fixed constant, that is out of the question, but there's skill outside the constant.
I'm tired of you saying cannons are weak. They're aren't. Here are some of the strongest cannons:
1. The ability to nearly instantly alter the ground level up to 20 levels, negative or positive, in any range. Earth Release: Moving Earth Core
2. The ability to burst your opponent into undying flames by sight, where the flames appear immediately on the point of focus. Doujutsu: Amateratsu
3. The ability to resurrect a dead bio, with all it's jutsus, abilities and KG, with no cost to you and infinite health and chakra to them. Kinjutsu: Impure World Resurrection
4. Space/Time Teleportation. Flying Thunder God and Doujutsu: Kamui
5. The ability to summon an immense amount of water, covering the whole terrain. Water Release: Great Exploding Water Colliding Wave
6. A huge flame that allows you to cover everything in front of you. No usage restriction. Fire Release: Majestic Annihilation
7. A clone of yourself that is able to use nearly any technique you want, and is indistinguishable from you, and instantly reverts all the information it learned to you. Shadow Clone Technique
8. The ability to alter your opponent's senses, by charging chakra in their minds. Any Genjutsu
9. The ability to seal and hold off Bijuu power. Wood Release.
10. The ability to bring down a massive bolt of lightning at actual light speed. Lightning Release: Kiri
If we look at jutsus now, they're pretty less powerful in themselves. The only thing is, they're more numerous, and account for more situations than the 400+ cannons. That is the true strength of customs. Because there seems to be a jutsu for every occasion, and that's what leads to defeat. Having more tools for more situations is just another matter of skill. Having less tools and still being able to do it, it's another. Is one better than the other? No. There's still a need to see a situation and know the exact effect one wants, in one case, he/she has the perfect tools, in the other case, he/she has to improvise. It doesn't mean the first can't improvise, he/she just didn't need to. Besides, you can control pretty much any fight with the cannon jutsus. If you can't, it means you're not skilled enough.
Of course, there are exceptions. Sound is severely overpowered, with instant effects (That simply can't happen due to sound's speed of motion, which makes sounds techniques unblockable without cost, making it OP in my book). Med jutsu, the way it is handled currently, is also severely overpowered, with nearly infinite healing abilities and protection. These are somethings that need fixing, but I can assure you there aren't anymore customs being approved at the level of the cannons I mentioned in the 10.
But of course, there are exceptions.